Date: 2006/01/03 Tue PM 09:44:21 EST
Subject: This Week's Action Plan for Fighting Guest Worker Amnesty

The Battle Against Guest Worker Amnesty Begins

This Week's Action Request:
Call State/District Offices, Send a Free Fax

As the new year begins, your help is needed to lay the foundation for winning the battle against guest worker amnesty!

Your legislators are working in their state and district offices for the next two weeks. During this duration, your calls and personal visits to their local offices opposing guest worker amnesty legislation can really make an impact!

ACTION REQUEST:

Call your House and Senate members at their state and district offices to voice your opposition to guest worker amnesty. (See our sample message below.) If possible, schedule personal visits to meet face-to-face with your legislators - these are highly effective! (Find your legislators' state and district office contact information here on our web site. Contact FAIR's government relations department at 202-328-7004 if you have questions or need assistance.)
CLICK HERE to send a FREE FAX from our web site urging your legislators to oppose guestworker/amnesty.
Send us your feedback! Tell us how your calls and/or visits were received. Let us know if your legislator states a position on guest worker amnesty so that we can relay that information to our government relations team. (Relay your feedback through this on-line form, by replying to this email, or by calling 202-328-7004.)
Forward this alert to others and ask them to join this battle for American workers!
Sample Message for Senators:

"As my elected senator, I ask you to protect American workers such as myself by opposing any legislation that includes a guest worker amnesty program. A guest worker amnesty program is nothing more than a plan to reward lawbreakers and substitute cheap foreign labor for American workers. That's pure greed and it's un-American! There are no jobs Americans won't do at decent wages and working conditions. Will you stand up for American workers by opposing guest worker amnesty or will you stand with unscrupulous employers who want to replace hard working American with cheap foreign labor?"

Sample Message for House Members:

"As my elected representative, I ask you to protect American workers such as myself by opposing any legislation that includes a guest worker amnesty program. The House took a strong step towards immigration enforcement in December by passing H.R. 4437, the Sensenbrenner/King Border Protection, Antiterrorism, and Illegal Immigration Control Act of 2005. I appreciate this action and call today to stress the importance that you and your colleagues refuse to accept the guest worker amnesty legislation widely expected to be passed by the Senate. A guest worker amnesty program is nothing more than plan to reward lawbreakers and substitute cheap foreign labor for American workers. That's pure greed and it's un-American! There are no jobs Americans won't do at decent wages and working conditions."

BACKGROUND:

Last December, the U.S. House of Representatives passed H.R. 4437, the Sensenbrenner/King Border Protection, Antiterrorism, and Illegal Immigration Control Act of 2005, which takes a strong step towards immigration enforcement. This bill was strengthened during floor consideration and several amendments were adopted making it one of the best bills passed by the House in recent history. Special thanks to all who helped achieve this victory! (Read our legislative analysis of H.R. 4437 for more details.)

THE BATTLE AHEAD

Responding to public demands and a split among House Republicans, the House did not include a guest worker amnesty component in H.R. 4437. The Senate, however, is expected to consider its version of immigration reform which will most certainly include a guest worker amnesty program shortly after returning from recess on January 18. The danger lies with the Senate passing a guest worker amnesty bill and forcing the House to accept it. That's why it's important that we build opposition to guest worker amnesty in both the House and Senate.

This is going to be a long struggle, and your continued efforts over the coming months are crucial to winning this battle. Please stay tuned, check your inbox regularly, and be ready to take action quickly!