Heckler's veto " tactic apparently being used to thwart First Amendment rights in Moorpark
August 16, 2005

This letter was sent out by Andy Ramirez:

Dear Friends,

Our right to assemble and discuss the security of our nation is being abridged by the City of Moorpark, California.

I was invited by the Simi Valley/Moorpark Republican Assembly to speak in Moorpark this Saturday, August 20, 2005 from 1-3pm. The SVMRA has reserved facilities at City Hall in order to provide me an opportunity to come and speak before my fellow concerned citizens.

Their President, Mr. Darin Henry contacted me earlier today with the following problem. He was informed by the City of Moorpark that they required an unreasonable amount for a security deposit, that being in the amount of $5,000. He asked me to contact "Mary" to discuss this further. I did so and informed her that we have not had any incidents at any of my speaking engagements anywhere in SD County and I was not personally requesting additional security. I had contacted Captain Richard Diaz of the Ventura County Sheriff's Department's Moorpark Station as a courtesy call to alert him to my speaking engagement. He indicated that they would have a couple of deputies keep an eye on the event, but that was it. We'd not have any additional security inside the building. If there was a problem, he gave me a telephone number and of course suggested 911. Again, I did not request any additional security for the event.

However, Mary at Moorpark City Hall stated to both Mr. Henry and myself that they needed a $5k deposit for security for additional manpower. She further stated that they only had three deputies on duty and that if any were detailed to keep watch on the SVMRA event, she'd have to request additional deputies and that would increase city costs for their security. I informed her as I had Captain Diaz that I'd not requested any additional security. However, she was rather adament and informed me that we'd be on our own as a result.

What this says is that if an unruly mob such as we have seen in San Diego County led by Enrique Morones would suddenly show up, anything could happen. How is it that our rights to assemble and hold a community meeting can be abridged by a lawless mob seeking to intimidate and use terror tactics on our fellow citizens? This is wrong and we cannot allow this to take place anywhere. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever.

Has our government abandoned this fight and let the lawless take over our nation? Are our soldiers giving up their lives overseas in the name of freedom elsewhere, while here at home our rights are abridged by domestic terrorism? We cannot ever lose this battle, and I call upon each of you to ask for your help and assistance so that this great citizens organization not be abridged of their right to hold a meeting and address an issue of great concern, this being U.S. Border Security by terror tactics and intimidation.

Since April 19, 2005 when it was first reported that Friends of the Border Patrol was first going to launch an operation to secure the Southern California border, we have not have any incidents whatsoever at any location. This is a fact that can be verified by the San Diego Police Department and San Diego Sheriff's Office. Again, zero incidents at any of my speaking events.

I ask that you step forward to assist this great organization that is simply exercising their right to free speech and hold a community meeting. We cannot let the Enrique Morones' of this world take away our basic constitutional rights domestic terror tactics and intimidation. When you look at that $5,000 amount, it is outrageous and tantamount to extortion. If those protestors knew how to protest peacefully, and without incident, you'd find that such monetary demands would not be possible. However, this is all the opposition knows how to do, and that is to abridge our rights and freedoms by terror tactics.

I will be in Sacramento Tuesday and Wednesday addressing this issue. Please contact Darin Henry, President of the SVMRA at 805-657-3895 and help support our fellow Americans that are simply trying to discuss these important issues via a community meeting in an American city.

Respectfully,
Andy Ramirez, Chairman
Friends of the Border Patrol