Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hunter Introduces Legislation to Pardon Convicted Border Pat

For Immediate Release

January 18, 2007 CONTACT: Joe Kasper (202) 225-5672

Hunter Introduces Legislation to Pardon Convicted Border Patrol Agents

Washington, D.C. – Today, Congressman Duncan Hunter (R-CA) introduced the Congressional Pardon for Border Patrol Agents Ramos and Compean Act. The legislation pardons convicted Border Patrol Agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean, who reported to prison yesterday to begin serving 11 and 12 year sentences respectively. The conviction derived from an incident involving their efforts to apprehend a drug smuggler on the international border with Mexico.

"The Border Patrol is America’s first line of defense against the constant and unrelenting efforts of drug and human smugglers to illegally enter the United States," said Congressman Hunter. "Agents Compean and Ramos fulfilled their responsibilities as Border Patrol agents and rightfully pursued a suspected and fleeing drug smuggler. It is irresponsible to punish them with jail time.

"The security situation on our Southern land border requires a strong law enforcement presence. This conviction demoralizes our nation’s Border Patrol and sends a clear message that we are not serious about protecting our borders and enforcing our immigration laws.

"We cannot turn our back on Agents Compean and Ramos or the rest of the men and women proudly serving in the U.S. Border Patrol. These two agents deserve our full support and the Congressional pardon provided by this legislation."

In addition to introducing the Congressional Pardon for Border Patrol Agents Ramos and Compean Act, Congressman Hunter contacted the Federal Bureau of Prisons and personally requested that Agents Compean and Ramos be segregated from the general prison population in order to ensure their safety.

more

Congressman Ed Royce (R-CA) was just on with John and Ken and said that he has co-sponsored, with Duncan Hunter, a bill that would provide for a congressional pardon of Border Patrol Agents Compean and Ramos. He said they have "been working our side of the aisle today" and already have 67 Republicans signed on. He said tomorrow they will start working on the Democrats. Regardless, he said the bill "went into the hopper tonight."

Congressman Royce admitted that if this pardon flies it would be "ground-breaking," but states that they are drawing their precedent from 1986; in effect, "Congress granted a pardon to 12 million illegal aliens, so why can't we pardon these two Border Patrol Agents?"

Oh, this guy really wants to be President!! He just might get my vote!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Sure hope he pulls it off.

ALIPAC Needs your help to continue.
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=N ... =0&thold=0
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    Smart move Duncan Hunter - while everyone else is screaming on Fox/CNN and sending unanswered letters and pleas to Bush - you're actually taking the bull by the horns. I'm impressed! If nothing else, we could find out exactly who does support Ramos and Campeon and who doesn't. Actually, this could be similar to the fence bill. What I mean by that is, some of those folks that don't support the two agents will be forced into a corner and could very well vote "yea" out of a feeling of self-preservation. Voting against the pardon would not be something someone would be eager to have on their voting resume, because such an act would give the appearance of not supporting our BP agents and border security. If this bill reaches the House floor, I predict it'll pass in the same atmosphere as the fence bill passed because many will simply be afraid to vote against it. Now, the U.S. Senate is another story all together - I wouldn't even venture a guess on what would happen in that careerist den of pandering pocket liners!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Senior Member AmericanElizabeth's Avatar
    I truly hope it will pass and they will be pardoned. I am so glad to see Mr. Hunter doing this. He or Tancredo, both have my vote of confidance.
    "In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I find it unforgivable, that not one democrat Congressman or woman or any of our Senators have stood up for these guards. I sent this letter to US Congressman Dan Boren Democrat, of how I felt about the lack of support for these Guards! Everyone here needs to write their Democrat Leaders in Washington asking them to support Duncan Hunter's bill for pardon.

Dear Congressman Boren,
    I am writing you today to ask you to please show your support of the 2 border guard agents,Ramos and Campeon, by supporting Congressman Duncan Hunter (R-CA)who introduced the Congressional Pardon for Border Patrol Agents Ramos and Compean Act.I voted for you Congressman Boren because you assured me, before the election, in a letter, that you were for securing our borders and for enforcing our immigration laws. I find it reprehensible Sir, that of all the Senators and Congressmen who are supporting these 2 border guards not one Democrat has added his or her name to that list of 83 of our congressional leaders! I am afraid Sir, this lack of compassion and support for our own border heroes, leaves Americans under the impression, that the Democrat Leaders, like our President, are more prone to believe the story of an illegal drug thug, over the story of 2 of our fine border guards one of who was up for border guard of the year by the way,who both stated for the record they thought this drug smuggler was about to fire on them with a weapon. Yes they made an administrative error by not filling out the proper documentation of this incident, as they had no idea this smuggler was hit by their gunfire as he promptly ran away!Congressman Boren, I and thousands of other American citizens, choose to believe the story of the guards rather then the story of a drug smuggler. One other thing, Sir, I am sure you know Rep. Ted Poe of Texas, a wonderful leader for that State, Rep. Poe, who was a judge for 22 yrs in TX before being elected to serve as a Rep. of TX, said in all of his yrs as a Judge who had many felony cases, he has never seen such a miscarriage of justice as the one perpetrated against those guards in all his years on the bench, by our own Justice Dept. 3 of the jurors came out and stated they felt they were compelled by the Jury Foreman to find these men guilty, sir, here in Okla, we have a word for that or 2 words called jury tampering!. Our President keeps saying he is wondering what kind of a message to the terrorist if we give up in Iraq, I ask you Congressman, what kind of message are we sending to drug smugglers in Mexico, that they can have the leeway they need to smuggle drugs over our border,make up a story and receive immunity from our country not just once but twice for smuggling drugs if they will testify against our border guards so they can be made an example of by our Justice Dept? Please Congressman Boren, I am asking you to support this bill by Congressman Hunter, to give amnesty to these men who we feel are so much more worthy of receiving amnesty, then one of Mexico's drug smugglers!

Thank you,
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Nitty, I think the Democrats already have an agenda, and it will not include standing up for two Border Patrol Agents. They don't want to upset their social service recipients...er, uh...I mean voters. Good job Mr Hunter!

I like it.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Quote Originally Posted by Neese
    Nitty, I think the Democrats already have an agenda, and it will not include standing up for two Border Patrol Agents. They don't want to upset their social service recipients...er, uh...I mean voters. Good job Mr Hunter!
    There is always cause for hope right?
    Build the dam fence post haste!