Thanks to everyone who participated in our first protest of Bank Calumet in Hammond on 9/3/05. We were very pleased with the turn out. Although we had 6 cancellations, we still had about 20 people show up on a holiday weekend after gasoline prices shot up to over $3 per gallon. Thanks to all the members of FAIR, Chicago Minuteman Project and IFIRE who turned out.

For anyone who missed it, here is the Link to the story that prompted our protest

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2005/08/17 ... 09cb57.txt

Our press release with website address generated more IFIRE members. http://nwitimes.com/articles/2005/09/02 ... 7f639c.txt

We had favorable news coverage in the Times of NW Indiana on page B3 of the Local News Section of Sunday’s paper. The story plus 2 color photos took up most of the page. http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/2005/0 ... 7ed734.prt

As the NWI Times reporter was preparing to interview me, a man who was walking to work stopped and asked for more information. He knew a lot about illegal immigration and was very supportive. The reporter interviewed him but none of his interview made it into the paper. This reporter, Keith Benman, has been covering the banks and is familiar with identification issues. He wondered why we never protested when the banks started accepting Matricula Cards over a year ago. I said we weren’t as well organized then and this home loan to the illegal alien was just so outrageous that we had to do something. Later, a customer of Bank Calumet introduced himself and said he will be closing his account with the bank because of this. We asked him to make sure the bank knows why he is leaving them. The 5 people that have personally told us they’re closing their accounts will be withdrawing about $40,000 from Bank Calumet. If letters to the editor, BackTalk comments and local discussion forums are any indication, a lot more people are angry enough to close their accounts.

A man with a local cable TV show that can be seen only in Lake County, Indiana interviewed many protestors. I believe the interviewer’s name was Ricardo Moreno. A short synopsis of my recollection of the interview would be: Q: Shouldn’t banks be allowed to make more money/make shareholders happy? A: Only legally. Q: Then why are banks doing this? A: Greed Q: What do you say when people question whether you’re a racist? A: I’m not. I don’t care where people come from, England, Poland, Mexico; they all need to come legally and in an orderly fashion so we can screen out those with diseases and criminal backgrounds. Q: What if they are just coming here for a better life? A: Their motivation doesn’t matter to me. They still need to obey the law. I get emails from legal immigrants who are Arab, Asian and Hispanic and they have lost their jobs to illegal aliens. It’s not fair. Q: What should happen to those people who are already here? A: They should go home. They shouldn’t be allowed to cut in line.

We had signs saying "Honk! to stop illegal immigration." We got quite a few honks and thumbs up but only a couple of one-finger salutes from young female Hispanics. There was steady traffic with many people slowing down, reading the signs, honking and driving on. Customers conducted their banking but honked, smiled and waved as they left. One man who was a professional sign maker volunteered to make our signs for the next protest. Several people working nearby inquired about our group and exchanged contact information with us.

All in all, we had a great time! It was fun to get out from behind the computer and hear how much support there is for our cause. We are considering another protest perhaps at a different location or on a weekday. We are thinking of creating a handout for bank employees to warn them that the bank’s policies put them in jeopardy of “aiding and abetting� when they do their jobs. A handout for customers would also be good. Whether they agree or disagree, they can take a look at our website and educate themselves.

Signs: Minutemen say: No loans for illegals

Congressman Visclosky: Enforce our immigration laws

Boycott Bank Calumet

No mortgages for illegal aliens

Bank Calumet panders to illegal aliens

Honk to stop illegal immigration

Stop illegal immigration! Deport them!

Illegal aliens: Benefits without responsibility

Cal Bellamy is aiding and abetting illegal aliens with your money!

Love America? Citizenship required!

I have a couple of sets of photos. Let me know if you want to see them and I’ll forward them to you.

Cheree

www.ifire.org

Valparaiso, IN