THE IFIRE INFORMER
November 30, 2005
Indiana Federation for Immigration Reform and Enforcement
Post Office Box 297, Valparaiso, IN 46384

www.ifire.org
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *********************************************
The Minuteman Movement has taught us that we can’t wait for the government to fix it and we can’t just talk about it…we have to DO SOMETHING!!!

Well, we did something this week and WE WON!!!

This was truly a team effort and many of you can be proud that you were a part of it!!! No one person or organization can take all the credit. We may never know which specific actions resulted in this victory. I will recap some of them so that we can all learn from this. Please keep in mind that when I use the word “we� it truly is the collective sense of the word and does not necessarily refer to IFIRE representatives.

It all began with information from my anonymous source that Governor Daniels was planning to give illegal aliens some sort of permit to drive. “Deep Throat� reported that 300-400 people had already met at Washington Community School to plan a protest march to demand driver’s licenses for illegal aliens. The march was to be held on December 12, 2005. The next planning meeting was scheduled to take place at the school on November 30th. Word was that the Governor’s Latino Advisor, Juana Watson, was telling the Hispanic community that the December 12 protest march might not be necessary after all since the Governor was working on a plan that would take care of their problems. She was scheduled to speak to the crowd about driver’s licenses at the November 30 meeting.

We began our investigation into these allegations in mid-November. We didn’t see how it could be possible to issue licenses of any sort to illegal aliens since the passage of the REAL ID Act and pending the outcome of the lawsuit involving the BMV over identity documents. Our research into this included calls to Indianapolis residents, legislators and the BMV. A copy of the Hispanic newspaper, La Voz de Indiana, confirmed many of the details we had been told. Calls to the Governor’s office and the school verified that the meeting would take place on Nov. 30 and that Ms. Watson would be there.

We believe that helping illegal aliens obtain driver’s licenses aids and abets illegal activity by violating Section 8 of U.S. Code 1324. We further believe that it is an outrageous abuse of the public trust to allow such a meeting to be held on school grounds paid for with our hard-earned tax dollars. The fact that public officials, who are also paid by us, would assist in this activity only added insult to injury. Furthermore, in his press release, Governor Daniels seems proud that his Latino Advisor also serves as an elected advisor to Mexican President Fox. We think that’s a flagrant conflict of interest.

We went in to action. We emailed the following letter to the principal of Washington Community School notifying him of the possible illegal activity and asking him to investigate. If he determined that the November 30 meeting would be used for an illegal purpose (to aid and abet illegal immigrants to stage a protest march in an effort to procure driver’s licenses) then we requested that the meeting be canceled.

November 28, 2005

Dear Principal Burke,

You may not be aware that Washington Community School is being used for illegal purposes. I have been informed by Indianapolis residents and I have read in La Voz de Indiana, that plans are being made to hold a protest march on December 12, 2005 to demand driver’s licenses for illegal aliens. Apparently, hundreds of people already attended one organizational meeting at your school. It is our belief that the November 30 meeting arranged by Veronica Guerrero will also discuss this protest march and how to help illegal aliens obtain driver’s licenses.

Federal law is explicit. Section 8 of the U.S. Code regulating immigration identifies as felons any person, employer, church, organization or local government who harbors, assists and encourages illegal aliens without proper documentation.

Those who are here in violation of our laws do not have the proper documents and should not be able to obtain driver’s licenses which help them avoid detection. Do not be fooled by attempts to describe this as a benign attempt to help a particular ethnic group. This is used as a ruse to obscure the fact that they are really helping law breakers. Law-abiding people of all ethnicities have, or can obtain, proper documentation to get a driver’s license.

We believe it is both irresponsible and risky for public buildings and funds to be used to further illegal activity. Our understanding of the RICO Act is that private persons may initiate civil suits to obtain injunctions and treble damages against enterprises that conspire to violate federal alien smuggling, harboring or document fraud laws.

Based on the law and potential exposure for the school and its employees, we believe that the November 30, 2005 meeting should be canceled.

We request that you investigate our allegations to determine what the previous meeting covered and find out what the November 30 meeting will cover. Any discussion of the December 12 protest march should not be allowed. Discussion on how to subvert our laws in order for illegals to obtain driver’s licenses and thus avoid prosecution must not be allowed. If these meetings are being conducted in foreign languages where the school cannot adequately monitor what subversive things are being discussed, then these meetings should be stopped.

We look forward to your reply regarding this matter.

Then we notified other activists by sending them the following email along with a copy of the letter to the principal and contact information for him and the school board.

Indiana needs your help! Remember how the open borders crowd tried to prevent American citizens from exercising their 1st Amendment right to discuss illegal immigration at the town hall meeting in Carlsbad, CA? Now, it's our turn! Only this time, the law is on our side! Please help us with your emails and phone calls. Here's what's going on...

La Voz de Indiana reported that a protest march will be held in Indianapolis on December 12th to demand driver's licenses for illegals. Sources tell us that 350-400 people already attended one organizational meeting at Washington Community School to make plans for this protest. Their next meeting at the school is scheduled for November 30, 2005 where the march will be discussed. The Governor's Latino Advisor will also be present and may discuss the Governor's plans for giving some sort of license or permit to drive to illegal aliens.

We have asked the school to investigate this. We believe they will be aiding and abetting illegal immigration if they let this meeting go forward. We hope that they will cancel this meeting since it is an insult to abuse taxpayer property in order to help people break our laws.

We would appreciate it if you would support us by sending your respectful emails to the principal. Phone calls to the board members will also be appreciated. Contact information and my letter to the principal are enclosed. Pass it on!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other activists and organizations got involved. Some sent emails to the school, others contacted school board officials. A candlelight vigil was planned for outside the school to protest the Nov. 30 meeting, if it was held. Since only women had committed to being at the vigil in an area that has been compared to East L.A., we joked about calling ourselves the Vigil-Aunties. Local police were contacted. Flyers were made to distribute to the public. Scanned copies the article from La Voz de Indiana were distributed. Blogs were typed. People called or emailed various state officials including the Governor, his Latino Advisor and various other legislators. At least one state representative made phone calls on our behalf. A press release documenting our concerns and the candlelight vigil was prepared.

Here’s a particularly eloquent letter one of our members sent:

Dear Governor Daniels,

I will be peacefully protesting the illegal meeting scheduled to take place on November 30th at George Washington Community School, where your Latino Advisor, Juana Watson, will be a featured speaker. It is my belief that allowing such a meeting to take place on taxpayer funded property is not only illegal, it is morally wrong. Such a controversial group as one comprised of lawbreakers and their supporters should not be allowed to use even more taxpayer funds to promote their agenda. I request that this be investigated at the earliest possible moment and that this meeting be canceled.

I feel I have no choice but to take time away from my family to make my voice heard in this matter as our legislators and law enforcement are not listening to their constituents, in spite of the fact that the laws are abundantly clear on this issue. It is saddening, to say the least. I am a mother of seven and the wife of a man who works eighteen hours a day to provide for our family's needs so that we are not a burden to the rest of the community, a woman who now feels she is forced to sacrifice even further to make her voice heard. One would think that hardworking families would be the first priority for our state's and nation's lawmakers. Instead, we see pandering to illegal minorities who, regardless of the reason for coming, broke this country's laws, when no American citizen would be given the benefit of having a blind eye turned towards their illegal activities as is done for illegal immigrants. That, in and of itself, is bad enough. However, when the Governor's office and our lawmakers do not have the intestinal fortitude to tell a group of lawbreakers that they have no RIGHT to demand anything more from our government or citizens, and actually stand by silently while these lawbreakers use taxpayer funded property to organize events in pursuit of their agenda, providing an appointee of the Governor's as a speaker, it is much worse.

Please understand, Governor, that I have no problem with LEGAL immigration, though I do believe it should be curtailed to some extent, but our country is bursting at the seams as a result of illegal immigration. Our tax dollars are supporting large groups of people who refuse to assimilate to our society, who find illegal ways to avail themselves to our welfare system, who find illegal means of garnering home loans, who take jobs in various industries and drive down the wages for Americans working in those industries, who erode our tax base by, in many instances, evading taxes and sending billions to their country of origin, and who drive up the costs of insurance and medical bills for legal citizens of all stripes. They break the law when entering this country and then have the gall to demand that they be given more and, further, that we accommodate them while speaking THEIR LANGUAGE. I ask you, Governor, is it any wonder the American people are FED UP?

This American most certainly is fed up, and there are millions upon millions more just like me. Every poll taken shows that 80% of the American people believe illegal immigration should be ended and those here illegally should be sent back to their homeland. Why are our representatives not listening? What must we do so that you "get it?" Please, tell us. We are listening and waiting for something other than pandering comments aimed at the illegal minority, those that cost Indiana taxpayers millions of dollars annually.

I await your response.

Late in the afternoon, I exchanged these brief emails with the attorney for the Indianapolis Public Schools. His comments are in blue, mine in red.

Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 2:27 PM

Subject: RE: Illegal Use of Public Property

I represent Indianapolis Public Schools. They have forwarded your e-mail to me for reply. Please be assured that Washington Community School is not being used for any unlawful purpose. IPS permits parent and community groups to use its facilities for a variety of purposes and this is one such use. We understand this to be an informational meeting, and we are told it will include a representative from the Governor's office. If any further communications regarding this matter are necessary, please direct them to my attention.

Hudnall A. Pfeiffer

Partner
300 North Meridian Street, Suite 2700
Indianapolis, IN 46204
317.237.1335 (Direct)

317.237.8435 (Direct Fax)
317.237.1000 (Main Fax)
Email: Hud.Pfeiffer@bakerd.com
www.bakerdaniels.com

Indiana | Washington, D.C. | China
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for responding, Mr. Pfeifer,

It is not clear from your email whether anyone checked into what kind of information has been shared at previous meetings and what kind of information will be shared at the November 30 meeting. Does the information pertain to helping "undocumented immigrants" obtain driver's licenses? We all know that legal immigrants and citizens have access to the documents necessary to obtain driver's licenses. Are you saying that efforts to help illegal aliens obtain drivers licenses is lawful? I would appreciate your clarification on this.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My understanding is that the meeting is not to help anyone obtain a driver's license. Instead, I understand it to be an informational meeting with a representative of the Governor's office about the issue and the current state of the law in Indiana. Please be assured that IPS never would knowingly permit its facilities to be used for any unlawful activity, including helping anyone unlawfully obtain a driver's license.

Hudnall A. Pfeiffer
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't believe the IPS would knowingly allow its facilities to be used for unlawful activity. However, it was my understanding that this meeting on driver's license issues would also be used to finalize plans for the December 12, 2005 march to demand driver's licenses for illegal aliens that was covered in La Voz de Indiana. Unless the meetings are conducted entirely in English and an unbiased member of the school staff is present, I don't know how they can be certain that the protest march to demand licenses has not been discussed. Can you tell me, have the meetings been entirely in English?

Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 4:50 PM

Subject: RE: Illegal Use of Public Property

I have just learned that the meeting for tomorrow has been canceled.

Hudnall A. Pfeiffer

The following story from the Hispanic TV station in Indianapolis supports our allegations that the Nov. 30 meeting was indeed intended to discuss plans for a protest march to demand driver’s licenses.

Univision story http://www.indyunivision.com/dsp_story. ... ryid=15189

If I translated this correctly, this story says that Mario Reyes was the moderator at the last meeting on driver’s licenses and that the “elect committee� would bring the matter before the “general assembly� on November 30 to announce whether the protest march to demand driver’s licenses would be held.

I deliberately left the names of activists, organizations and legislators out of this newsletter. I hope you don’t mind that I didn’t mention you by name. I don’t want to slight anyone. My intention is that we all share equally in this victory without singling out individuals. I am so proud of you all for pitching in and working together!!! Look what we did!!! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!