Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

IL -Hispanic political organizer gets 15 months for perjury

Here is a good sample of Chicago style politics, It also shows one of the elements making Chicago a sanctuary.

--------------

Hispanic political organizer gets 15 months for perjury
    By Jeff Coen | Tribune staff reporter
    12:36 PM CST, November 14, 2007

Calling perjury "an offense at the highest level of the judicial system," a federal judge sentenced a former member of the powerful Hispanic Democratic Organization to 15 months in prison today for lying to a grand jury.

U.S. District Judge George Lindberg said Wednesday that the sentence for John Resa would be sufficient to deter others from following his path. Resa in August pleaded guilty to perjury, admitting he lied about whether he helped members of HDO get city jobs in return for their political work.

Resa, 49, an HDO coordinator for the Southeast Side, falsely told the grand jury in 2006 that he never passed on job requests on behalf of HDO foot soldiers.

For more than a decade, HDO was a force in Mayor Richard Daley's political organization, dispatching members across the Chicago area to campaign for the mayor and candidates backed by Daley.

Resa's lawyer, Christina Farley-Jackson, had asked Lindberg for probation.

"He's a very hard-working individual," said Farley-Jackson, noting that Resa has accepted responsibility for what he did. "He comes from a loving family."

Resa's three children were in court Wednesday. Before he was sentenced, he apologized for his crime.

"I just want to say I'm sorry, that's all, your honor," Resa said.

Assistant U.S. Atty. Manish Shah backed a prison term of 12 to 18 months called for under federal sentencing guidelines.

Resa had an obligation to tell the truth, just as all witnesses called before the grand jury do, Shah said. Resa's lie was especially egregious because he had been granted immunity from prosecution, Shah said.

"No one wanted to prosecute John Resa for anything," Shah said. But his lie resulted in prosecutors bringing a case against him "when we had better things to do," he said.

After Resa was charged, he was fired from the city's Water Management Department in December 2006. Jennifer Hoyle, a spokeswoman for the city, said Resa had appealed but on Tuesday the Human Resources Board upheld his dismissal.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3763282.story
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

Resa's lawyer, Christina Farley-Jackson, had asked Lindberg for probation.

"He's a very hard-working individual," said Farley-Jackson, noting that Resa has accepted responsibility for what he did. "He comes from a loving family."
    Working hard to CHEAT!!! Happy landing in jail liar!
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Hey Mad, slowly but surely the house of cards is being dismantled. I predict that the dismanteling of Chicago's corrupt elite will continue until they reach Daley, who IMO disserves to be indicted as well.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Banned
    some how I get the feeling we arnt hearing the whole story

Quote Originally Posted by GREGAGREATAMERICAN
    some how I get the feeling we arnt hearing the whole story

Gee! You're catching in to Chicago style politics.
    Not caring to age myself here, but I remember the days of Papa Daley, and baby Daley is well on his way of rebuilding the Democratic Machine.

And to the previous post from WhatMattersMost;

[color=brown]“Hey Mad, slowly but surely the house of cards is being dismantled. I predict that the dismanteling of Chicago's corrupt elite will continue until they reach Daley, who IMO disserves to be indicted as well.â€
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>