Subject: Help Us Pass the National Language Act of 2009

Date: 6/15/2009 1:03:18 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time

Dear xxxx,

Just a few weeks ago, Senator James Inhofe (R-OK) introduced S.991, the National Language Act of 2009. As you probably know, Senator Inhofe is a great friend of English First and we have worked closely with him over the years.

I promised the Senator that if he would reintroduce the National Language Act (NLA), we would pull out all the stops to get it passed as quickly as possible. And, with your help and support that is exactly what we intend to do.

You may recall that, in 2006 and 2007, the NLA was passed by a healthy majority (more than sixty Senators voted for it both times) when it was attached as an amendment to bills moving through the Senate. Well, I believe the same support exists today for passage of the National Language Act as it did in 06 and 07. In fact, the latest poll taken by the Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey backs up my opinion. According to their latest poll, conducted on May 14th, 2009, eighty-four percent (84%) of Americans say English should be the official language of the United States. Now that’s a percentage that no politician can afford to ignore!

Moreover, support for making English the nation’s official language already crosses party lines. The concept is supported by 96% of Republicans, 74% of Democrats and 85% of adults not affiliated with either major party. This tells me that, despite the opposition that may come from the Democratic party leadership (just as it came from the Republican party leadership when they were in power), if we can force a vote on the National Language Act, we can get it passed, just like we did before.

We have a plan we think can work, but it needs the support of all our members and supporters. To begin with, we are going to help Senator Inhofe get as many cosponsors for his bill as fast as we can. This will build momentum and help the bill to start moving through the committee process.

Secondly, we will support Representative Peter Kings H.R. 1228 in the House of Representatives which is similar to the Inhofe bill by finding cosponsors for that bill as well. Once that is done, the stage will be set for the next move, which is to attach the National Language Act, as an amendment, to any fast moving bill going through the Senate where we can ask for a roll call vote which forces Senators to go on the record as supporting or opposing English as our official language.

If we can force a roll call vote, I know it will pass because no Senator wants to be on record as opposing a measure that has the support of 84% of the American people. And if you are wondering why the need for all of these backroom antics, I can tell you that, given the stranglehold the radical Hispanic lobby has on the leadership of both political parties, this is about the only avenue left to us.

Moreover, it works. And at this stage of the game, any method we can employ that can make English the official language of the United States is fine with me. The need to reunite our nation through a common language has never been greater.

Making English the official language will eliminate the burden on the federal government to provide documents and/or services in languages other than English.

If you agree with me that time is of the essence in making English our official language, then I urge you to help us pass S.991, the National Language Act, by CLICKING HERE TO SEND AN EMAIL TO YOUR SENATORS ASKING THEM TO SUPPORT S.991 AND TO BECOME CO-SPONSORS OF THIS IMPORTANT BILL.

http://www.rallycongress.com/english-fi ... inhofes-s/

To win this battle, we need to make sure every Senator and Congressman has a copy of this latest polling data in their hands so when they are asked to cast their vote, they will honor the wishes of the American people, not the wishes of Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid.

... and we will do everything in our power to pass the National Language Act this year, making English the official language of the United States – finally!

Thank you for your continued support for our work.

Sincerely,
Frank McGlynn
Acting Executive Director

(Requests for contributions removed from above text)

English First website
http://www.englishfirst.org/

Background:
Inhofe Introduces English Language Legislation
http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-156255.html