Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Protesters rally against amnesty

Protesters rally against amnesty

JESSICA L De VAULT, Staff Writer
    Published June 4, 2006

An estimated 100 people gathered on in front of the WYFF-TV studio on Rutherford Street in Greenville on Saturday to protest against amnesty for illegal immigrants.

The rally, held by the South Carolina Council of Conservative Citizens, was the second of its kind since the April 29 protest that was held in front of Sen. Lindsey Graham's office.

The Council's state chapter president, Kyle Rogers, said the rally's purpose was to convince state congressmen to vote against guest-worker programs and amnesty.

"We got to put pressure on the House Republicans," Rogers said. "President George W. Bush is pressuring them to accept amnesty. But the whole state of South Carolina will turn against you (senators).

"The state is already furious at Lindsey Graham. His career is shot."

Citizens speak out

Protest participants lined the entranceway of the Channel 4 news station with flags and signs that read:

"Lendsey Graham is a traitor," and "Stop the Invasion."

Passing motorists honked their horns and shouted out "America!" as they drove past the rally.

The location of the protest was ideal for Greenville city traffic visibility, and it also blocked the entrance to the news station.

"WYFF said that we had dozens of people at the last protest," Rogers said.

According to Rogers, there were at least a 1,000 people in attendance. So standing in front of the news station was "symbolic."

"Most conservative events don't draw the numbers the left wing does because of the media," Rogers said. "But we're going to keep going despite of them."

The small numbers didn't fetter the enthusiasm participants had for their cause.

Protester Nancy King, a local real estate agent, said that illegal immigration is an invasion of America.

"They are just trying to take over the country," King said. "Go through the right channels and abide by the laws of this country.

"They should get their own government to get them good jobs."

In Ron Meetze's opinion, the answer to immigration is border control. That's why he was one of the first people at the rally Saturday afternoon.

"This is something I believe in. It's for my grandchildren," Meetze said. "I want them to enjoy the freedom I had."

Meetze, an inside sales worker, said he has no problem with legal immigrants, but it's those who enter the country illegally that offend him.

"The people that are here illegally need to go home and legally apply to come back in this country," Meetze said.

Across the street at the Mr. Clean Jean Laundromat, black customers watched the rally while loading their washer and dryer machines.

Mary Walker, a motel housekeeper, said she was tempted to join the protest.

"They need to send them back where they came from," Walker said.

Freddie Byers, a 77-year-old war veteran, agreed.

"Let them get back in like everyone else. I spent 25 years in the Navy, fought in three wars. I didn't fight those wars for them to walk over the border and get our rights," Byers said.

Those who share these sentiments have signed petitions, created by the Council, that demand Congress vote against amnesty, guest-worker programs and unprotected borders.

The Council has already received an estimated 3,800 signatures, Rogers said.

The next step for the Council will be to hold a large-scale rally at the Capitol Building in Greenville in the near future.

Jessica L. De Vault can be reached at 562-7216 or Jessica.devault@shj.com

http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... 051/NEWS01
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

When is the next rally in Florida ?
    " Do not compromise yourself . You are all you've got ." -Janice Joplin .

Wonderful news.

It seems South Carolina has a great number of patriots that care enough about the country to gather in large numbers and do a rally. I sometimes think that NC folks are brain washed or something, because it's so hard to get folks out in the same large numbers.

I think everyone is so afarid that they'll be called a bigot, racist, or intolerant that they just hang their heads, and scurry away acting like they've got some unjustified, guilt ridden complex of some kind.

The liberal media have really done a job on folks. They've made folks feel guilty about everything, concerning the historical, traditional values, and patriotism of this country. It's sad to see!

And as a Minuetman sign read at the Washington rally, "Sovereignty Is Not Racism!"

native,

Way to go!!!! You are right, "white guilt" is very strong in the south. Just push past it and do it. Tell people if it is not in their hearts, it doesn't matter what others say because you are not answerable to them. Hold your head high and stand up for your rights and what you want.

Go South Carolina!!!!!!!!

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)