Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Report from Burbank

From an emailed. (edited for privacy)

First of all, we stepped into a rather unsavory hornets nest at this meeting. A council member has quit in disgrace due to illegal drug use and another council member, Tom Campbell, has been charged, by his girlfriend, with domestic violence.

These topics were at the forefront of the meeting.

The city council members, mayor and Home Depot representatives were in professional attire. Expensive suits. Well educated. Pretty good looking overall. Top dogs.

I am sure not one of them lives anywhere near a day laborer site. I would guess they drive luxury cars.

But at this meeting, citizens came forward and boldly and took this group on.

Citizens were on fire. They spoke up. We applauded. The people passionately said NO to this set up - a city approved day laborer center at the brand new Burbank Home Depot. There was a heavy media presence. The podium was so crowded with microphones - there was no place to set down your paper as you spoke.

I was told about 30 of us spoke out against Home Depot - all to loud applause - and 3 spoke in favor of day laborer center - these three had one woman who clapped loudly for them.

Tony, a legal immigrant from Cuba, gave a masterful speech - and pointblank told the elected officials they are not upholding the will of the people.

BUT at the end of the day, the well-heeled city council and mayor approved the day laborer hiring center. Unanimously. Repeatedly, the council members said you cannot have a Home Depot without day laborers.

This is not true.

There are two Home Depots in Upland, where I live. We have no day laborers loitering nor do we have a day laborer center at either Home Depot.

The city council members clearly ignored the citizens in favor of illegal immigrants. They heard the angry VOTING mob but felt secure in voting on behalf of illegal immigrants.

One city council member, Tom Campbell, referred to one of our speakers, Chelene, who had stated 85 percent of workers are illegal at day laborer sites, overall.

Tom Campbell actually said he is in favor of the day laborer center in order to service that 15 percent who may be legally in the U.S. WHAT?

The city council and mayor made the usual illegal immigration-is-a-federal issue-not-my-problem arguments. The police chief said no one can ask the legal status of anyone at any time UNLESS they commit a crime. The police chief is dedicated to protecting illegal aliens. He claimed over and over the Constitution protects illegal aliens.

This was horrifying to hear - a police chief bowing down to people unlawfully in our country.

The entire elected body and appointed city officials, Home Depot representatives - in oppositions to the will of the people - officially stated no illegal immigrant would ever be approached for being illegally in the country UNLESS they are seen in the act of committing a crime.

This was stated repeatedly.

D-- had challenged the elected city officials to do the right thing. Their interpretation of the right thing is to obey the will of the illegal immigrant and harbor them - at city expense - in a center.

Trust me - there is a momentum in our favor - despite what this elected body did.

We have to all step forward. We have to get louder. I can guarantee you that this elected body has the words of the angry mob echoing in their thoughts!

Next, they need to lose their city official jobs over this issue.

As we left the meeting, my mom stated how horrified she was by this lawless city decision. She was particularly upset by the police chief's compliance with illegal immigrants.

I happened to see the police chief walking toward his car. I called him over to my mom.

My mom is a senior citizen. She isn't afraid to tell anybody off because she thinks she has this right as a senior.

Well, let me just say, my mom gave the Burbank Police Chief a MAJOR tongue lashing - as only a senior citizen can.

THAT was a nice way to end the evening.

Hooray for your MOM!!!!!!!!!!! Tell her that we are proud of her and I wish we had more like her, the ones who will come right out and just "say it the way it is"!
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

I guess one thing all who live there can do is not shop at home depot. I quit shopping there and we don't have a work site here yet.