Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

` Mess `lingers for Latino aid center

'Mess' lingers for Latino aid center
    By CYNTHIA REYNAUD • creynaud@dmreg.com • May 26, 2008

Read Comments(26)Recommend (1)Print this page E-mail this article
    Share this article: Del.icio.us Facebook Digg Reddit Newsvine What’s this?
    Waterloo, Ia. - Some things seem to be returning to normal following the raid of a northeast Iowa meat-processing plant two weeks ago.

At the Cattle Congress in Waterloo, makeshift courtrooms have returned to empty gathering rooms. Entrances are now vacant of metal detectors, police officers and security guards. Even hotels and restaurants are seeing fewer government officials coming through their doors.

Other things, though, are still in disarray.

"The government can set a deadline of when they can leave, and they leave us the mess," said Mario Basurto, program coordinator at El Centro Latinoamericano.

For the nonprofit Latino resource center, this means piles of bills its staff members have yet to total but expect will put a large dent in the operating budget. "As of now, we still don't know how we're going to bounce back financially," Basurto said.

El Centro's $135,000 2007-08 budget wasn't intended to support hundreds of Latinos whose lives fell apart after the May 12 raid in Postville, he said.

The money was supposed to pay the salaries of two full-time employees and one part-time worker. It was supposed to support English-language and computer classes and case work services for Waterloo's Latino community.

Never did they think they would be using it to pay for daily trips to Postville, employee overtime, food, phone cards and clothing.

"We just never anticipated or budgeted money to take care of this kind of tragedy," said Carole Gustafson, El Centro's board president.

Nonetheless, when the need arose, Gustafson said, she didn't think twice about the financial consequences. "If El Centro hadn't stepped in, I don't know what would have happened," she said.

The week after the raid, El Centro employees worked 120 hours each, she said. They took food, water and clothing to families too scared to leave their houses and for those who no longer could afford to go to the store.

"They helped me find people, track people down and gave me information about lawyers," said Paul Rael, the director of Hispanic ministries at St. Bridget's Catholic Church in Postville.

At first, the organization had help. More than 30 volunteers and 150 translators offered their services. Three shipments of groceries a day were sent to Postville, but still, El Centro's Waterloo office never ceased to be full. This went on for a little more than a week. On Wednesday, the last shipment went to Postville.

El Centro remains the go-between for detainees and their families. El Centro's focus now is to help those who remain in Postville get back on their feet. "I don't see it stopping for us anytime soon," Basurto said.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/p ... /805260316
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I am in tears where did I leave my checkbook
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We just never anticipated or budgeted money to take care of this kind of tragedy," said Carole Gustafson, El Centro's board president

This is wonderful!!! The organizations set up to help illegals getting a dose of what it's like to be overburdened by the costs imposed by the illegals they are such advocates for

I love it!! There is justice in this world
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

[quote="jimpasz"]I am in tears where did I leave my checkbook [/quote]

Laughing to the point of tears is always a good thing.

Tissue? No really...go ahead and help yourself. I just bought a new box.

For the nonprofit Latino resource center, this means piles of bills its staff members have yet to total but expect will put a large dent in the operating budget. "As of now, we still don't know how we're going to bounce back financially," Basurto said.

Gee, I have lots of bills supporting illegals which have put a dent in my operating budget. I don't know how I'm going to bounce back financially except to sell my home and move to a place where the residents speak English.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Thanks for the tissue azwreath
    now where did I leave my pen?

Quote Originally Posted by jimpasz
    Thanks for the tissue azwreath
    now where did I leave my pen?

Oops....here you go. My apologies, I'm a notorious pen klepto, the sole reason they now chain them to the counter at my bank. Really......ask anybody.