Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

{SOB}Immigrants' stories could be our own

Immigrants' stories could be our own
    Eunice Brock

Immigration issues are tearing communities apart due to misinformation and demagoguery, shaping public opinion and, in some cases, public policy.

A priority for President-elect Obama should be legislation that addresses the concerns of both the people who believe our borders are out of control and those who want equal protection and opportunity for everyone living in this country. We are already seeing immigrants fearful of police, some of whom have a record of racial profiling and harassment. Some immigrants view police departments as armed instruments of government oppression.

In North Carolina the interference of our former lieutenant governor, and now governor, caused children of illegal immigrants to be barred from community colleges. A teacher friend of mine has been teaching her high school students, who are children of illegal immigrants who are working hard in school and continuing their education in our community colleges as a way out of poverty. She said denying her students the right to a community college education violates a basic principle of American society that children should not be punished for their parents' decisions.

I agreed and added that most illegal workers pay state and federal taxes, which are used to support community colleges, and, additionally, according to the Center for Immigration Studies, illegal workers pay $6.8 billion annually into Social Security. Our treatment of Hispanic illegal immigrants is similar to our treatment of African-Americans not so long ago. The difference is we didn't bring them here in chains in ship holds, but enticed them with jobs in our fields, construction sites, yards and kitchens. We wanted their labor so we turned a blind eye to their illegal status. Now that our economy is suffering, many blame them and retaliate by searching for ways to jail them, breaking up families and ruining lives. Our economy is suffering because of a billion-dollar-a-day war, and other causes of our own making, and not because of illegal immigrants.

There are more than 450,000 illegal immigrants in North Carolina. As long as they have jobs they are not going back, and we are not going to send them back. The business community would not tolerate it even if we could logistically accomplish mass deportation. I can understand the rationale for deporting immigrants who commit crimes and are a threat to society, but that is far from what is happening in Alamance County. For example, a librarian, who lived in Alamance since childhood, was recently taken from her job, arrested and put in shackles, taken to jail, and is standing trial. Authorities obtained public health records, which is in itself illegal, to learn that the woman was using the Social Security number of a dead person. Because of this her sister, who worked in a law firm, as well as her parents were arrested. All will likely be deported.

A book I read recently that will give you greater insight and perhaps change or soften your position is "Enrique's Journey: The Story of a Boy's Dangerous Odyssey to Reunite with his Mother" by Sonia Nazario. On so many levels this is a book that should be read.

The book is about a young boy trying for the seventh time to travel 12,000 miles to join his mother in North Carolina. He is one of approximately 48,000 children with a median age of 15 who annually journey through Mexico on "the train of death" and risk being robbed, raped and murdered by gangs, maimed by trains, but are often generously aided along the way by many who are very poor themselves.

Nazario, a Pulitzer-winning reporter for the Los Angeles Times, spent months traveling with these children at great personal risk. She tells their compelling and deeply moving story with a simple and clear style. Nazario has an ability to capture the powerful bonds between children and parents that make this story essential reading for anyone who cares about children, families and social justice. It is a stark reminder to all of us that Enrique's story could be our own, except for the privilege of nationality and economics.

Eunice Brock lives in Chapel Hill. She may be reached at eunicembrock@nc.rr.com. Read previous columns by Eunice Brock at www.chapelhillnews.com by searching on her name.
    http://www.chapelhillnews.com/news/story/31046.html

Thanks, cvangel, and boy, she will be hearing from me!!!!!
    There are more than 450,000 illegal immigrants in North Carolina. As long as they have jobs they are not going back, and we are not going to send them back.
    That statement itself smacks of utmost stupidity, as no one knows how many illegals are anywhere at any time. Does Ms. Brock profess an omniscient knowledge? If so, I believe the Dept. of Homeland Security might be interested (well, that is a dream.)
    As far as I am concerned this Nazario should be arrested for her part in aiding and abetting illegals into this country for a good story. And perhaps Brock should be looked at for promoting violation of laws on the books because of the supposed "victimization" of those that have broken the law by being here without permission.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We are already seeing immigrants fearful of police, some of whom have a record of racial profiling and harassment. Some immigrants view police departments as armed instruments of government oppression.
    ROFL!!!! What a load of BULL. Nothing could be further from the truth. These "immigrants" don't fear our police, they despise them. They want our police to ignore the laws when it comes to illegal aliens. They are enraged that our policemen are not as corruptable as police in their home countries.

Compare OUR policemen with the police from their home countries to see what an obvious lie this is.

If you are here illegally, we WANT our police to find you and report you for deportation. DEAL WITH IT.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Authorities obtained public health records, which is in itself illegal, to learn that the woman was using the Social Security number of a dead person.
    Was she working AND collecting welfare? Were her sister/parents doing the same, using a "dead persons" ssn for "public health" aka welfare? I notice they didn't say they learned she was using the dead persons ssn for employment, so was she using a different # for that so she could collect public health benefits?
    What is missing from this sob story?

The book is about a young boy trying for the seventh time to travel 12,000 miles to join his mother in North Carolina. He is one of approximately 48,000 children with a median age of 15 who annually journey through Mexico on "the train of death" and risk being robbed, raped and murdered by gangs, maimed by trains...

...capture the powerful bonds between children and parents... It is a stark reminder to all of us that Enrique's story could be our own, except for the privilege of nationality and economics
    Okay...Enrique's story could not be my own, because I really do love my children and would NOT ever send them on a "train of death" and risk them being robbed, raped, murdered or maimed just because they were poor. I personally would rather have them poor and alive then risk their lives travelling alone on a death train. I don't see how any parent who would allow and encourage their minor children t do this can claim a "powerful bond" with that endangered child.