Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

‘Steer tailing’ event won’t return to county

http://vaildaily.com/article/20060602/NEWS/60602005

‘Steer tailing’ event won’t return to county

Photo prompts complaints about event at May 6 rodeo in Eagle

Scott N. Miller
    June 2, 2006

EAGLE COUNTY — It started with a photo.

That picture, published in the Vail Daily on May 7 from an event the previous day at the Eagle County Fairgrounds has brought complaints, and prompted a change in what kinds of events will be allowed in the future.

The event was a “charreada,” or traditional Mexican rodeo, held to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Part of the rodeo was an event known as “steer tailing” in which the cowboy rides a horse next to a steer, then tries to bring down the animal by wrapping its tail around his leg.

Both the Eagle Valley Humane Society and the Humane Society of the United States complained about that event. That led the Eagle County Commissioners to ban that event — one of the most popular — from future rodeos.

The complaint from the local humane society was a measured one.

“The community in Eagle County has a reputation for treating animals humanely and we are saddened that a steer tailing event was performed in our valley,” wrote Char Quinn, director of the local humane society.

A letter from the national group — which opposes all rodeo events — signed by Colin A. Berry, was more harsh.

“Cruelty is implicit to this style of Mexican rodeo and should not be tolerated in any society,” Berry wrote.

In response, the Eagle County Commissioners this week decided that steer tailing would no longer be allowed at the fairgrounds.

“A lot of communities have done that,” Quinn said. “A lot of the Mexican rodeo companies don’t do it.”

The county’s current animal treatment policies are taken straight from the guidelines set out by the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association, Commissioner Arn Menconi said.

“But that rodeo wasn’t covered by those guidelines,” Menconi said.

However, the complaints from the local and national humane society offices got the commissioners’ attention.

While there’s a policy now in place, there may not be another Mexican rodeo in the county this year. Miguel Lizardo is one of about 30 members of a local “charreada” group that put on the May rodeo. Lizardo said it was a success, but a lot of work, especially for him.

“There won’t be another one this summer,” Lizardo said. If there is another Mexican rodeo, perhaps next year, Lizardo said the group will do as it’s asked.

“If they say you can do another one, but you can’t do that, OK,” Lizardo said. “If they say no, you can’t do another one, that’s OK.”

Staff Writer Scott N. Miller can be reached at 748-2930, or smiller@vaildaily.com.

Vail Daily, Vail Colorado
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Good......I hope they learn you can have a sport without inflicting harm and sometimes death on an animal for entertainment. Reminds me of the gladiators in Rome. What enjoyment can you really get from watching brutal acts? Sorry.....I hug trees too. Not really....but I don't like events like this or dog fights or cock fights etc.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Cock-fighting is real big with latins
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I know....blood, guts and torture.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish
    Cock-fighting is real big with latins
    So is dog fighting - illegal in all 50 states I believe. Cockfighting is legal in only 3-4 but I may be behind on the times.

In Mexico, Spain and several Latin American countries, bullfighting is considered a "sport." I wonder how large the Hispanic population grows in the USA before they demand bullfighting be legalized?

I hope to share more comments here soon in this thread, because animal welfare (especially animals used for so-called "entertainment") is an issue I'm concerned about and several years ago was very actively involved in stopping by involvement with a local NC grassroots animal group, protests, undercover camera work, media stories/interviews and letters to the editors of many newspapers.

Hope I have time soon and if I do I'll link in the illegal alien issues too. There are many cruelties in America but citizens from third world countries and especially illegal aliens, come from barbaric, backward cultures. Not only is animal cruelty more rampant, but their human rights situations are often barbaric too.
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me

I can think of an event to replace tailing at the mexican rodeo. It's called the "Stampede back to Mexico". We all are mounted on horses and we chase the illegals back home.
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

Geesh, next they will have bull fights!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

Quote Originally Posted by 31scout
    I can think of an event to replace tailing at the mexican rodeo. It's called the "Stampede back to Mexico". We all are mounted on horses and we chase the illegals back home.
    Perfect!

Please let me know when an event such as this is scheduled. I'd like a front row seat with major personal involvement. :P

P.S. In my active involvement, I also want to have extensive use of an electric prod to herd the illegals back home. Spurs will be appreciated too! After all in rodeos, both American and Mexican, these are two of many cruelties inflicted upon the animals. If the shoe fits, well dammit. . . . . .
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me

Quote Originally Posted by 31scout
    Haven't ridden in years but I'm willing to get back in the saddle again.

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://www.peta.org/mc/factsheet_display.asp?ID=140

Charreada: Bone-Breaking Cruelty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every year throughout Mexico and the American Southwest, horses and cattle are injured or killed during charreadas or charrerias (Mexican rodeos). The Mexican charreada has followed much the same historical track as the American rodeo: Once a contest among charros (Mexican horsemen) to show off riding and roping skills on horses, bulls, and calves, the charreada has degenerated into what is essentially a series of bullying circus acts showcasing “skills” that no cowboy would ever use on a ranch.

Torturous Spectacle
    In charreadas, there are about a half-dozen events that are purportedly designed to test “horsemanship.”(1) The “step of death” involves leaping from the back of one horse onto the back of a wild horse and riding until the animal becomes exhausted from trying to buck the person off.(2) “Roman riding,” or “death jump,” calls for a charro to straddle two horses and force them to gallop toward and leap over a parked car.(3) During the terna en el ruedo, which is the equivalent of team roping in a North American rodeo, riders must rope a calf as quickly as possible, one by the neck and the other by the hind legs.”(4) The victimized calves may suffer from paralysis, throat and neck injuries, and broken bones.

A few municipal bans have been imposed on an event called “steer-tailing” (coleadero), in which a steer is prodded to run at full speed down a long chute, pursued by a charro on horseback who grabs the steer’s tail, wraps it around his boot and stirrup, then veers off, slamming the steer to the ground.(5) Sometimes the legs of both the steer and the horse are broken, and the steer’s tail is broken or torn off.

“Horse-tripping” is the focus of two events: the manganas, in which horses are roped by their front legs and yanked to the ground, and piales, in which the animals are roped by their back legs and crash to the ground.(6) Horse-tripping has been banned in a handful of states, including California, Maine, New Mexico, and Texas, but it is classified as a misdemeanor. While the threat of six months in jail and a $1,000 fine has largely curtailed the practice of horse-tripping at large charreadas, at many small “backyard” events, the practice has decreased but not stopped.(7) For horse-tripping to end, it must be classified as a felony.

Some charreadas also include bullfighting, other rodeo events, and illegal activities such as cockfighting.(8)

Where the Horses Come From—and Go
    Many of the horses used in charreadas are leased from slaughter buyers, who generally acquire them from former owners who have no idea what their fate will be. The horses are run until they are too injured, cut up, and battered to go on, with rope burns often cutting down to the bone. They are then consigned to slaughter to supply horse meat to Canada, Europe, and Asia, or they may simply be abandoned in the wild. Within a two-month period, four injured and starving horses were found wandering in a California recreation area; one had such a severely broken leg that euthanasia was the only option for the horse’s relief. Local residents told the Pasadena Star-News that they suspected the animals were victims of horse-tripping in backyard charreadas.(9)

What You Can Do
    If you plan to visit the American Southwest or Mexico, tell your travel agent that you oppose cruelty to animals and refuse to attend a charreada. If you are aware that a charreada will be taking place, send a letter of complaint to the mayor of that city.

Start a campaign to ban horse-tripping and/or steer-tailing in your area. For more information on horse-tripping and how to get it banned in your area, contact:

Equus Horse Sanctuary
    Box 9
    Ravensdale, CA 96123
    530-930-0108
    mustangsb@direcway.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast