Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

’08 Candidates Weighing Consequences as They Take Sides on

They so don't want to talk about this subject.

~~~~~~~~

May 19, 2007
    ’08 Candidates Weighing Consequences as They Take Sides on Immigration Plan
    By MARC SANTORA
    The bipartisan immigration proposal being taken up by Congress is putting pressure on the leading presidential candidates to take a position on the issue, which could set them up for confrontations with influential constituencies within the two parties.

After the announcement of the bipartisan plan on Thursday, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, the New York Democrat, and Rudolph W. Giuliani, the former New York mayor who is one of the Republican frontrunners, were initially noncommittal. Both suggested on Friday that they were open to supporting it, but only with major revisions to some of its main components.

Reflecting the complexity of the issue and the political caution surrounding it, neither of them matched the embrace of the legislation on Thursday by Senator John McCain, the Arizona Republican.

Mr. McCain already faces a direct clash with another of the Republican candidates, Mitt Romney of Massachusetts, who has come out against the bill as he intensifies his efforts to win the support of conservatives who are wary of Mr. McCain and Mr. Giuliani. Mr. Romney’s opponents said his position had shifted from more moderate views that he voiced a few years ago.

On Friday, the Romney campaign unveiled a television commercial about illegal immigration that it said would run starting this weekend in New Hampshire and Iowa.

Mr. McCain’s position was also assailed on Friday by conservative commentators, who object in particular to the provisions of the legislation that could ultimately grant legal status to many of the estimated 12 million immigrants who are in the United States illegally.

Mr. Giuliani’s emphasis has been on whether the legislation would adequately protect the nation from terrorists who might enter the United States illegally.

In an appearance on Friday in Orlando, Fla., he supported the idea of compromise as long as it included a system for registering the people who are currently in America illegally and issuing them identification cards.

“I think this idea of working things out between the Democrats and the Republicans — and each side has to make some compromises in order to get there — then I can see a lot of flexibility there to get that accomplished,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

What a wishy washy bunch of spineless losers!

Will an American with both a Brain and a Spine please stand up and run for President?!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I would like to know why family reunification has to include parents (of adults), grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.............its ridiculous.

Will an American with both a Brain and a Spine please stand up and run for President?!
    Amen Judy Amen!!!!!!
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Giuliani said, [quote]“I think this idea of working things out between the Democrats and the Republicans — and each side has to make some compromises in order to get there — then I can see a lot of flexibility there to get that accomplished,â€
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>