Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

2,000 Ask Sheriff to Resign

http://elpasotimes.com/news/ci_3881624
    05/31/2006 12:00:00 AM MDT

2,000 ask sheriff to resign
    By Louie Gilot / El Paso Times

More than 2,000 residents of El Paso County have signed a petition asking for the resignation of Sheriff Leo Samaniego, saying that deputies have been overstepping their boundaries by checking immigration papers.
    "The sheriff's (deputies) are not helping the community anymore," said Alicia Acosta, a Montana Vista resident who signed the petition. "People are afraid to go out. They don't trust the sheriff's (deputies.) We want the sheriff's (deputies) to make us safe, not to do the job of the Border Patrol."

Organizers with the Border Network for Human Rights said they would present the petition today to county commissioners.

Asked for a reaction, Sama niego said, "In an open democracy, everyone participates from freedom of speech to voting at the polls. I will practice my form of democracy by waiting for the voters to have a final say in the next election."

The petition is the latest in a string of complaints from the community prompted by Operation Linebacker, an operation that beefs up sheriff patrols in the county with state funds.

Tuesday, Texas Gov. Rick Perry said he would refer concerns about potential civil rights violations and Operation Linebacker to U.S. Attorney Johnny Sutton, according to a letter sent to U.S. Sen. Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa, chairman of the Senate Hispanic Caucus. Hinojosa sent a letter to Perry voicing concerns about Operation Linebacker earlier this month.

Residents of East El Paso County have complained that they have been asked for their Social Security cards and about their immigration status during traffic stops and at traffic checkpoints. Sheriff's officials have denied the allegations.

In April, a welfare check by sheriff's officers at an East El Paso quarry led to the detention of 26 undocumented immigrants, who were turned over to immigration authorities.

Louie Gilot may be reached at lgilot@elpasotimes.com,
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Thats exactly what they SHOULD be doing, in every state!. Crooks never like to be questioned by police so the frustration is understandable. If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about. I say pour on the heat Sheriff.....

What has our esteemed Governor Rick "Bush Lite' Perry done to fix the situation?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"People are afraid to go out. They don't trust the sheriff's (deputies.) We want the sheriff's (deputies) to make us safe, not to do the job of the Border Patrol."
    This proves that those guys are doing their jobs. I, personally, don't want the border jumpers to feel 'safe'...I want them to worry to the point that they just pack up and go home.

How do we contact the sheriff??

MJ

I sent a letter to that email address, praising the sheriff and stating that I hoped the sheriff and his deputies kept the UNwelcome mat out 24/7.

MJ

http://www.co.el-paso.tx.us/sheriff/Fee ... edback.asp
    El Paso County Sheriff's Office
    August 20, 2002 4:08 PM
    Webmaster: Bruno Tabarani ,NE2
    Please E-Mail us your feedback on this website at : epsheriff@epcounty.com
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Done
    Is this Mexico or the USA

I gave him my support.

Border Network for Human Rights
    NOTE: Any group with "human rights" included in it's name has a high percentage chance of being funded by a communist backer.

I sent an email asking if they could move their office to Smith County....we need them here.

I pray to God that sheriffs departments everywhere will follow their lead.

MJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast