Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

2 men involved in crash indicted

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/ ... 149620.xml

2 men involved in crash indicted
    Immigrants killed on I-12 last month
    Saturday, August 20, 2005
    By Chris Kirkham
    St. Tammany bureau

A federal grand jury has indicted the driver and a passenger involved in a fatal van crash on Interstate 12 last month on charges of transporting illegal immigrants, U.S. Attorney Jim Letten and an immigration official announced Friday.

The six-count indictment accuses Ricardo Moreno-Monarrez and David Villareal-Zuniga of knowingly transporting at least six illegal immigrants before the van crashed July 25 near Lacombe. Four passengers died in the wreck, and 14 others were injured, including Moreno-Monarrez and Villareal-Zuniga.
    Advertisement

If convicted, both men could face a maximum of 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine for each count.

"Alien smugglers jeopardize the lives of foreign citizens who come to the United States in search of a better life and also threaten the security of our own citizens," Letten said in a statement. "Today's indictment is further compelling evidence of our commitment to investigate and dismantle smuggling operations."

Although 12 other suspected illegal immigrants survived the wreck, First Assistant U.S. Attorney Jan Maselli Mann said the six passengers named in the indictment provided the strongest evidence to prosecute the case.

The two men will have their arraignment before U.S. District Court Magistrate Louis Moore Jr. on Friday at 10 a.m.

According to an affidavit filed by an agent with the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency last month, Moreno-Monarrez, who lived in San Antonio, told the agent that he knew a man who was known to house illegal immigrants. He and Villareal-Zuniga of Houston met the man, who paid them $500 each to drive a van full of 16 illegal immigrants to various destinations on the East Coast, the affidavit said.

Immigration and Customs officials believe Moreno-Monarrez is a lawful permanent resident of the United States and believe Villareal-Zuniga is an illegal immigrant.

An Aug. 4 motion filed by Roma Kent, the federal public defender for Villareal-Zuniga, indicated that Villareal-Zuniga was in discussions with the government that could lead to a resolution of the case. The U.S. attorney's office Friday said it was too early to comment on the discussions.

Warren Montgomery, the court-appointed defense attorney for Moreno-Monarrez, said Friday that he had hoped the U.S. attorney's office would hold off on seeking the indictment against his client, since they were talking about working together.

"I'm disappointed that they chose to indict my client, given the fact that two weeks ago we agreed to continue the preliminary hearing for 30 days," Montgomery said.

The van was traveling east on I-12 when it was rammed from behind by a pickup, causing it to spin out of control and slam into a tree on the roadside, according to the State Police. The driver of the pickup, Glenn P. Richard, 47, of Crowley, was booked with three counts of negligent homicide after he allegedly fell asleep at the wheel, State Police said.

. . . . . . .

Chris Kirkham can be reached at ckirkham@timespicayune.com or (985) 645-2852.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

"Alien smugglers jeopardize the lives of foreign citizens who come to the United States in search of a better life and also threaten the security of our own citizens," Letten said in a statement. "Today's indictment is further compelling evidence of our commitment to investigate and dismantle smuggling operations."
    Riotous applause for Letten! :P

But then I kept on reading and I'll have to say I got and that the U.S. government, if you can still call it that, is "in discussions leading to the resolution of the case." Are they going to let this guy off with a slap on the wrist?

An Aug. 4 motion filed by Roma Kent, the federal public defender for Villareal-Zuniga, indicated that Villareal-Zuniga was in discussions with the government that could lead to a resolution of the case. The U.S. attorney's office Friday said it was too early to comment on the discussions.
    Warren Montgomery, the court-appointed defense attorney for Moreno-Monarrez, said Friday that he had hoped the U.S. attorney's office would hold off on seeking the indictment against his client, since they were talking about working together.

"I'm disappointed that they chose to indict my client, given the fact that two weeks ago we agreed to continue the preliminary hearing for 30 days," Montgomery said.
    Your client should be indicted and given the maximum penalty!