Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

202 people become Americans at Chandler, AZ. festival

202 people become Americans at Chandler festival

Connie Cone Sexton -
    Jan. 16, 2011 12:00 AM
    The Arizona Republic

Floarea Ganea clutched the certificate to her chest and began to cry.

Only minutes before, the 72-year-old former Romania resident finalized what had been a dream: becoming a United States citizen. In a ceremony at the Chandler Multicultural Festival late Saturday morning, Ganea was one of 202 people becoming new citizens.

U.S. citizenship ceremony in Chandler

It should have been 203.

Gheorghe Ganea, Floarea's husband, died last Sunday from complications of pneumonia, family members said. The goal had been for the couple to stand side by side Saturday listening to one another recite the Oath of Allegiance as they promised to "support and defend the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America."

Floarea wept as she sat down after the service, the merging of joy and sorrow too much to bear.

As her son, Daniel, translated, the Peoria resident said she and her husband "had waited for a long time for this day to happen. We love this country so much. This is one of the happiest days," she said, pausing. "And it's also one of the saddest days."

Daniel, 38, became a U.S. citizen several years ago. He said his parents immigrated to the U.S. in 1998 to find a better life.

"My father, who is a preacher, had been in jail twice and had been persecuted because he would pray to God," Daniel said. "He loved everything about America. When someone asked him if he wanted to change his name, he said, 'Yes, to John Wayne.' "

Another son, Elisei Ganea, 28, became a citizen about two months ago. He said Saturday's ceremony was humbling, seeing all the people who have embraced the country.

"My father would have enjoyed this," he said. "But I feel his presence. I held this up for him," Elisei said, waving a small American flag.

The Ganeas' story was one of dozens that floated among the crowd, as the new citizens milled about, sharing their moment of triumph.

Abdi Olow, 29, of Phoenix, beamed as he marched along with the other new citizens. "This feels very good. It has taken a lot of time for this day," the former Somalia resident said. Olow works as a supervisor for Delta Air Lines but hopes to become a police officer.

"I had applied for so many jobs before but couldn't get because I wasn't a citizen," he said. "This makes me feel like everyone else, now. I feel the freedom."

Phoenix resident Renzo Zumaeta, 24, was so excited about Saturday he had a hard time deciding what color shirt to wear. He settled on a green shirt and black tie.

"This dream feels good," he said.

Isak Kim, who had held Korean citizenship, said he worked hard to be part of this country.

"This is a very special day," the 20-year-old Chandler resident said. "When I heard 'The Star-Spangled Banner' sung today, it touched my heart more than ever."

http://www.azcentral.com/community/chan ... z1BEjNUw6l
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    This should be the Normal Front Page Headline.
    202 people become Americans at Chandler, AZ. festival
    Or.
    PROUD NEW AMERICAN CITIZENS CELEBRATE AMERICAN DREAM!

But instead we get............................................... ......................
    http://www.limitstogrowth.org/articles/ ... dream-act/

And so much more. Pass the tissues. Please pass the tissues.