Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

3 Indian Scientists Protest Delay in Getting U.S. Visas

One scientist, Goverdhan Mehta, an organic chemist and the former director of the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore, is to lecture next month at the University of Florida at Gainesville, then address an international conference.

Dr. Mehta said he went for a routine visa interview at the consulate on Feb. 9, only to be questioned about whether his research could be used for "chemical warfare."

Speaking Thursday from his home in Bangalore, he said it could not. He said he remembered being told he was not being honest. "To tell a scientist of any standing he is deceptive about his research — there cannot be a bigger affront," Dr. Mehta said. "I certainly felt very humiliated."

He said he refused to fill out a questionnaire on his research. His many peer-reviewed papers, he said, speak for themselves.

Dr. Mehta said he had visited the United States about 20 times but would never again apply for an American visa.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/24/inter ... india.html

And then after some bullying and harsh words...

U.S. Approves Visa for Indian Scientist
    Goverdhan Mehta said he was told two weeks ago that his visa had been "refused" and that his expertise in chemistry could be a threat to U.S. national security. The case caused a furor in India just days before a visit by President Bush next week that is aimed at building warmer ties between the world's two largest democracies.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01994.html
    Individualism leads to anarchism. A collective society has more to offer than an isolationist/individualist one.

Well pass me another crying towel.

So we're supposed to feel sorry for 'em? What about the American scientists who will have to train them just prior to being fired?
    Quote Originally Posted by daydreamer
    The case caused a furor in India just days before a visit by President Bush next week that is aimed at building warmer ties between the world's two largest democracies.
    I'll tell you what's getting warmer - the printing presses. Watch for layoff notices as thousands of pink slips get printed in favor of jobs going to Tata and other Bangalore body shops.

Look. If you know someone who's about to be forced to train his replacement from Bangalore, advise him to talk to a labor attorney first.

What part of "We don't owe our jobs to India" are you unable to understand, Senator?

I am simply posting a news article coto, didn't say that you should feel sorry for them, I certainly don't.
    Individualism leads to anarchism. A collective society has more to offer than an isolationist/individualist one.

Oops, my bad, intended to
    Quote=Washington Post

What part of "We don't owe our jobs to India" are you unable to understand, Senator?