3 members of Staten Island's Assembly delegation vote against DREAM Act

By Judy L. Randall Staten Island Advance
on May 21, 2013 at 10:59 PM, updated May 21, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Three members of Staten Island's four-person state Assembly delegation voted against the DREAM Act, which prevailed Tuesday, saying it "devalues citizenship" and is a "slap in the face to Americans."

Only Assemblyman Matthew Titone voted in favor.
The measure -- hailed by advocates for enhancing educational possibilities for immigrant youth -- passed the Assembly by a wide margin Tuesday night. The unofficial tally was 88-46.
The DREAM Act -- which stands for Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors -- would provide private scholarships for immigrant students and permit them to apply for state financial aid.
Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver called passage "another proud step forward ... to increasing access to college aid for all immigrant students," who he said must now deal with an "unjustifiable barrier" that denies "hardworking students the dream of a college education."
Writing in an online publication earlier this week, Titone (D-North Shore) reaffirmed his support of the DREAM Act, saying: "New York only permits citizens of the United States or aliens admitted for permanent residence to qualify for tuition assistance programs (TAP). Which is to say, there are children who, despite academic achievement and civic commitment don't qualify.
"Right now, it doesn't matter if such a child maintains an A+ average throughout high school, doesn't matter how many veterans hospitals or senior centers that child volunteers at, doesn't matter how many home runs or touchdowns he or she scores at the big game and, curiously, it doesn't even matter that the child begins each and every school day pledging allegiance to the American flag.
"No, in the Empire State, these things do not matter simply because that child is the child of undocumented immigrant parents and, by the way, was most likely brought here at a very early age without any say in the matter."
But Titone's Island colleagues disagreed and cast "no" votes.
"Public money should not be used to award TAP grants to undocumented individuals when Congress is still working on immigration reform," said Assemblyman Michael Cusick (D-Mid-Island). "That is why I voted in favor of the DREAM Fund, allowing for private money to be used to help with education."
The DREAM Fund would raise private funds to provide college scholarships to students who have at least one immigrant parent.
Said Assemblyman Joe Borelli (R-South Shore): "I can probably give a half-dozen reasons to oppose it, but I believe the DREAM Act is a bad bill primarily because it devalues our citizenship, both in the United States and the state of New York. I hold both of mine dearly."
"My parents came to America with nothing, worked multiple jobs and sacrificed greatly to put me through college, making me the first one in my family to earn a degree," said Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis (R-East Shore/Brooklyn). "I later worked full time to obtain my MBA at night. The DREAM Act is a misguided proposal and a slap in the face to every hardworking, taxpaying American citizen and legal immigrant who, like my parents, struggles to pay tuition.
"To take resources away from American citizens and legal immigrants to give to illegal immigrants is not fair, it is not right, and it diminishes the sacrifices of my parents and so many struggling American students in our state," Ms. Malliotakis added. "Instead, the state must allow the federal government to do its job and work a path to citizenship."

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/05/3_members_of_staten_islands_as.html