Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

6,717 people decide Jacob vs. Cannon Race

Note to Admin...

I assume this has already been posted, but I haven't been able to find it after scanning through some of the forums.

If it has been posted, then feel free to delete this thread.

June 28, 2006 05:47 PM EST

by William Gheen - As a veteran of over 40 campaigns for public office, I know the range of emotions both the winner and the losers in the Jacob vs. Cannon race in Utah. The euphoric high for those that worked hard to win and the abysmal pitt of depression following any defeat.

Running for public office is like having a baby. Even the winners can go through what I call "PostPartum Political Depression" when all of the intensity fades win or lose.

The loss by the John Jacob campaign will be taken hard by many Americans in our movement to have our existing immigration laws enforced. A lot of people sacrificed time and money and placed their hopes and prayers into this race because it was turned into a bellwether race on the immigration issue.

Although I am not certain who turned it into such a litmus test, our organization ALIPAC weighed in after seeing Team America PAC's efforts and the national attention to this race. After all, that is what we created this organization for. We wanted to reinforce the other organizations and campaigns that took a stand with the public on this issue. We sent in thousands of dollars and teams of volunteers to help. Our endorsement received local press exposure and although the information was not attributed to us, our effort to expose Chris Cannon's support of in-state tuition for illegal aliens was reported on Fox News the day before the election. In effect, our operations were a success even if the John Jacob campaign was not...
    http://www.theconservativevoice.com/article/15705.html
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake

Iig

Re: 6,717 people decide Jacob vs. Cannon Race

Quote Originally Posted by Shapka
    June 28, 2006 05:47 PM EST
    by William Gheen -
    The loss by the John Jacob campaign will be taken hard by many Americans in our movement to have our existing immigration laws enforced. A lot of people sacrificed time and money and placed their hopes and prayers into this race because it was turned into a bellwether race on the immigration issue.
    In effect, our operations were a success even if the John Jacob campaign was not...
    http://www.theconservativevoice.com/article/15705.html
    I remain philosophical and remind myself of a truism in the square off between plaintiffs/The People v the Defendant: you can't win 'em all.

One lesson I'm learning, that in any contest, no matter the outcome is to be prepared for anything -- anything. I don't get the sense that anyone anticipated the President AND Laura Bush would make phone calls for Cannon.

Folks, we have to think BIG and outside of ANY BOX. Clearly, Cannon did. We have to find someone as charismatic as Laura Bush, as well liked, to help to demonstrate our gentle face. We have a gentle face, we just don't credit for it. We're not heartless but we are practical and principled. Put compassion and accountability together, you get provable relief.

Any suggestions?

I am hearing more efforts from the Amnesty Senators to offer some compromises that will remove the "path to citizenship" nonsense. I'm not holding my breath, but it does show some softening on their part. Good!
    "I have not yet begun to fight!" John Paul Jones

The problem is that defeating amnesty-which a week ago looked certain-is going to be that much more difficult after this race.

Whether one wants to admit so or not this race was a defeat for patriotic, law-abiding, anti-illegal immigration American citizens.

Not a mortal defeat. Certainly not one that can't be rectified in the future, but a defeat nevertheless.

Every victory by the pro-amnesty, mechista anti-Americans is an arrow in their quiver, while very defeat is merely shrugged off, and used as an opportunity to pour ever more money into the seemingly endless well used to dismember this country along ethnic, sectarian lines.

All of the Republicans living in that district who sat this primary out should feel ashamed today. Not only because their apathy led to the re-election of one of the most despicably pro-amnesty, pro-Mexican, anti-American Aztlan lovers, but because they realize that his win is a reflection of minority sentiment in the Republican Party, and could have been easily averted if they had just exerted a minimal effort to go to their local polling places and vote for the right candidate.

SHAPKA and Iig,

First and foremost, we need to get both of you on our e-mail alerts list using the box in the upper left hand corner. This was sent to our entire national network which in turn posts and forwards information.

Secondly, while I do not mind the re post, we need everyone to check the Announcements sections just above news and general discussion anytime you see something new has been posted there.

The General Discussion and News sections are the most popular areas of our site, but we really need everyone on board with our e-mail alerts and Announcements as these are the main tool for coordinating messages, volunteer efforts, and activism.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Iig

Apathy kills as quickly as Panic

Quote Originally Posted by Shapka
    The problem is that defeating amnesty-which a week ago looked certain-is going to be that much more difficult after this race.

Whether one wants to admit so or not this race was a defeat for patriotic, law-abiding, anti-illegal immigration American citizens.

Not a mortal defeat. Certainly not one that can't be rectified in the future, but a defeat nevertheless.

Every victory by the pro-amnesty, mechista anti-Americans is an arrow in their quiver, while very defeat is merely shrugged off, and used as an opportunity to pour ever more money into the seemingly endless well used to dismember this country along ethnic, sectarian lines.

All of the Republicans living in that district who sat this primary out should feel ashamed today. Not only because their apathy led to the re-election of one of the most despicably pro-amnesty, pro-Mexican, anti-American Aztlan lovers, but because they realize that his win is a reflection of minority sentiment in the Republican Party, and could have been easily averted if they had just exerted a minimal effort to go to their local polling places and vote for the right candidate.
    Apathy, the real threat. I must admit, I thought the voter turn-out would be far better than it was. I am taking into consideration that Utah is nearly entirely Mormon, and religions tend to be a fickle lot. In my opinion, Utah is very soft on crime, because they won't enforce the laws against polygamists and they're pro-employer. I just know that protecting the employers played a very big part in the defeat.

But I'm not going to let this slow me down, quite the contrary. We need to come out swinging.

Just picture the Amnesty Seven laughing it up every time we don't score. Bush, Kennedy, Specter, McCain, Hagel, Martinez and Reid. It keeps me very motivated.

Help, we need help out in CA, Feinstein and Boxer are selling us down Mulholland (esoteric sub-reference to theft of Colorado River, but that's not important right now)!
    "I have not yet begun to fight!" John Paul Jones

My apologies.

I figured that you had put it up here when it was published on the Web.

Don't jump off the bridge just yet. Jacobs was running against a 5 term incumbent that had a 2 to 1 financial edge and supporting calls from Mr. and Mrs. Bush. The fact that the race was this close sends a strong message to the pro amnesty types--they know that we are nipping at their heels.
    Don't give up!
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

You could say the same thing about Throckmorton.

After the third time trying to knock off an extremely weak, extremely unpopular incumbent you begin to get a little peeved.

Look, I completely agree that putting all of our eggs into one basket is not the best strategy-as this race, and the subsequent gloating on the part of the open borders lobby illustrate-but we have to deal with reality.

What's done can't be undone.

We were facing an extremely overweight, bespectacled, and obnoxious incumbent, who was unpopular. Whatever minimal personality he had was grossly off-putting.

He was not simply pro-amnesty, but also aligned with gambling interests. In Utah, of all places!

He supports D.C. statehood for goodness sake.

While Jacob was far from the best opponent, his foe was the Republican equivalent of Jerrold Nadler, and yet we were still unable to come within striking distance.

Irrespective of his other deficiencies, Jacob should have won this one. A snake-handler should have been able to trounce this putz.

Other than being obscenely rich, and serving as an impeachment manager in the trial of President Bill Clinton, what did Chris Canon have to reccomend him?

I think this race sent the message that Americans are starting to fight back. Throck Morton did not have the support of ALIPAC, the Minutemen, 9/11 FSA, etc... in 2004.

Also, the OBLs had do a lot more to win this time compared to 2004.

The message is sent. Americans are now fighting back in much greater numbers than before.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    I think this race sent the message that Americans are starting to fight back. Throck Morton did not have the support of ALIPAC, the Minutemen, 9/11 FSA, etc... in 2004.

Also, the OBLs had do a lot more to win this time compared to 2004.

The message is sent. Americans are now fighting back in much greater numbers than before.

W
    That's worth noting.

Toomey was defeated by three or four percentage points, almost solely due to the intervention of the White House.

Supposedly Bush received over 70% of the vote-the second highest in the nation-in this district.

So, I'm willing to concede that his intervention might have had a decisive impact.

I think Utah is one of the few remaining states where President Bush enjoys majority support among the public, although I could be mistaken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast