HB458 is not a good bill. It has to many loop holes. Randy Hinshaw and Lea Fite both introduced legislation in the LAST legislature and no one would do anything. Randy Hinshaw and Lea Fite introduced their bills in the last legislature and no one did a thing. NOW all of a sudden everyone iis jumping on the bandwagon! I support Randy and Lea's bills as the one about voting and seizing of some property.

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/i ... xml&coll=2

7 bills target illegal immigration

They include cutting social services
Thursday, February 09, 2006
KELLI HEWETT TAYLOR
News staff writer

The state Legislature is set to consider at least seven bills targeting illegal immigration this session, including employer verification of workers, reductions in social services and some private property seizure.

"It has been a gradual buildup - the federal government's failure to do anything that has put the states in a horrible mess," said state Rep. Randy Hinshaw, D-Madison. "People want the issue solved."

Hinshaw is sponsoring a state bill to limit nonemergency government services to illegal immigrants to reduce the tax costs.

State "legislation that looks at removing people's property or taking away access to services is not going to get at the core of the problem, which is immigration reform," said Isabel Rubio, executive director of the Hispanic Interest Coalition of Alabama. "I think you do run the risk of beginning to single people out for ethnicity."

Illegal immigration concerns have increased in Alabama this year because of national media attention, increasing traffic accidents and crimes involving illegal immigrants, Hinshaw said.

Sen. E.B. McClain, D-Midfield, is sponsoring a bill to penalize employers who don't verify their employees' legal status with the federal government.

"I think the (illegal immigrant) population is growing so, and it has gotten to the point where some of our constituents feel a little bit threatened," McClain said. "To curb some of this, I think the employer should be the responsible party. The employees are going to get jobs any way they can. It boils down to survival for them."

Rubio agreed, saying employers should be more accountable.

Members of the state chapter of Associated Builders & Contractors, or ABC, whose members are commercial contractors, are showing early support for employer accountability.

"We are consistently for reasonable and responsible immigration procedures and we feel like this one is responsible," said ABC spokesman Jay Reed.

Rep. Lea Fite, D-Anniston, is proposing that employers who don't verify employee status would be guilty of an unfair trade practice if a U.S. worker or legal worker were discharged while employing an illegal worker.

Rep. Micky Hammon, R-Decatur, has filed a package of bills dealing with illegal immigration.

"As a state, we cannot stand idly by and watch this tidal wave of illegal aliens pour into the region," Hammon said in a news release. "We must put in strict measures that discourage those who come here illegally from putting down roots.

Hammon's bills include making it a felony for illegal immigrants to register to vote or attempt to vote; a requirement for people applying for public benefits to show proof of citizenship or lawful residence; and authority for law enforcement to seize some personal property from illegal immigrants.

E-mail: ktaylor@bhamnews.com