Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

70% of Texans favor AZ immigration law, East Texans respond

70% of Texans favor AZ immigration law, East Texans respond

Posted: Jul 21, 2010 6:30 PM
    By Sara Story

TYLER, TX (KLTV) - Arizona's immigration law is the nation's toughest law on illegal immigration, gaining national criticism. But, the majority of people in the lone star state support it. A recent report shows nearly 70% of Texans are in favor of the law and would like to see a similar bill passed here.

A state representative from East Texas is drafting a version of the bill and broke down the numbers for us. The new Texas state immigration policy has gained clout among both Republicans and Democrats, fueled by the Arizona immigration law.

"The immigration policy is broken on a national level," said David Henderson, with the Smith County Democratic Party.

"[The] state has every right to do this," said State Representative Leo Berman. "Federal government has completely failed in its responsibility to secure border."

Arizona passed the nation's toughest bill on illegal immigration and a recent Rasmussen report says the majority of Texans want to follow Arizona's footsteps.

Sixty-nine percent of them support passing an immigration law similar to the one in Arizona. Twenty-three percent would oppose the law.

Berman says this is not surprising.

"Everyone that I talk to wants the Arizona bill passed here in Texas," said Berman. "The Arizona bill is exactly like a federal bill."

But, Henderson questions the results.

"I question the numbers," said Henderson. "If these people were blonde hair, blue-eyed Scandinavians rushing across the Canadian border looking for the endless summer, we wouldn't be having this conversation."

Of those polled, 77% are white, 49% are black, and 52% are other ethnicities.

In line with his party's opinion, representative Berman wrote a letter to the governor of Arizona.

"My purpose in writing is to say three cheers in Arizona and God bless you for withstanding criticism you have received from Washington and elsewhere," said Berman.

He plans to make this poll a reality by drafting his own version of the Arizona bill.

Sixty-four percent of Texans polled disagree with the U.S. Justice Department's decision to challenge the legality of Arizona's immigration law.

Copyright 2010 KLTV. All rights reserved.

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?s=12849666
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

Poll Says Texans Favor AZ Immigration Law
    By FRANK HEINZ

If you favor Texas having an immigration law similar to the controversial law passed in Arizona, you are in line with 69 percent of Texans, or at least 69 percent of the 500 surveyed in a new Rasmussen Reports telephone poll.

Rasmussen conducted the survey on July 13 and asked Texans a number of questions about the Arizona law and offshore drilling.

Rusmussen said the margin of error is +/- 4.5 percent with a 95 percent level of confidence.

So. What else did the poll reveal?

On the Arizona question, Texas' results are eight points higher than the national average and only 23 percent would oppose the law. Sixty-four percent of Texans disagree with the U.S. Justice Department's decision to challenge the legality of Arizona's law while only 28 percent were in favor of it.

"An overwhelming majority of Republicans and voters not affiliated with either party favor an Arizona-like immigration law in Texas, while democrats are more evenly divided on the issue," Rasmussen reports. "Seventy-seven percent (77%) of white voters in Texas favor an immigration law similar to Arizona's in their own state, a view shared by 52% of voters of other ethnicities and 49% of blacks."

The poll also revealed that 63 percent of Texans support a welcoming immigration policy that "excludes only national security threats, criminals and those who would come here to live off the U.S. welfare system" while 28 percent disagree with such a policy.

"Across the board, however, a strong majority of voters agree with the goal for immigration policy," Rasmussen reports.

What about offshore drilling? According to the results, voters in Texas are strongly in favor of offshore oil drilling, "and in contrast to findings in other states around the country, show nearly the same level of support for deepwater drilling."

Texas was the only gulf state that did not have oil from the latest spill wash up on its shoreline. It is not known if that factors into the responses of the participants of the poll.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-beat/P ... 46154.html
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

Serious question here, no wiseacre crack from me.

How in the bibby do you get a total of 178% "of those polled?" Or are they separating mixed backgrounds out to get those numbers?

I don't get it.
    I don't care who you are, how you got here, what color you are, what language/dialect you speak... If you didn't get here legally then you don't belong here. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by orchid_noir
    Serious question here, no wiseacre crack from me.

How in the bibby do you get a total of 178% "of those polled?" Or are they separating mixed backgrounds out to get those numbers?

I don't get it.
    That caught my attention also orchid. Typo or someone needs to proofread or add better.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Seventy-seven percent (77%) of white voters in Texas favor an immigration law similar to Arizona's in their own state, a view shared by 52% of voters of other ethnicities and 49% of blacks."

77 percent of white voters
    52 percent of other ethnic voters
    49 percent of blacks voters

This means when you break it down by racial component, these are the results you got for the racial and ethnic background.

i think someone misread what the paragraph said

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I WISH ALL OF THE LOWER 48 WOULD ENACT THIS LAW, AND THEN WE WOULD SEE HOW FAST THE ECONOMY WILL TURN AROUND AND HOW MANY JOBS WILL BE FILLED BY UNEMPLOYED AMERICAN CITIZENS. ITS PAST TIME FOR SOMEONE TO PUT THEIR FOOT DOWN, AND THAT FOOT IS JAN BREWER'S. I REALLY DO WISH ARIZONA WELL.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62
    Seventy-seven percent (77%) of white voters in Texas favor an immigration law similar to Arizona's in their own state, a view shared by 52% of voters of other ethnicities and 49% of blacks."

77 percent of white voters
    52 percent of other ethnic voters
    49 percent of blacks voters

This means when you break it down by racial component, these are the results you got for the racial and ethnic background.

i think someone misread what the paragraph said
    Alright, this I can wrap my poor brain around, they just phrased that one line very poorly, I guess.

Thank you, that was just making my head hurt. lol
    I don't care who you are, how you got here, what color you are, what language/dialect you speak... If you didn't get here legally then you don't belong here. Period.

Deport all illegal aliens

Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We do not need a new amnesty. We know what happened in 1986 with that failed amnesty. We did not control our border; those who got their green cards through the 1986 amnesty, brought their family memebers and that increased our tax dollar burden. What I am trying to say is that legalization of illegal aliens will increase our population. With that we will have to pay more taxes to support the new legal immigrants. And that is too much. WE DO NOT NEED AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS. IT WILL BE A DISASTER. JUST ENFORCE CURRENT LAWS AND DEPORT ALL ILLEGAL ALIENS BECAUSE THEY COME HERE WITHOUT VISAS OR OVERSTAY AND WE CANNOT CONDONE THAT. DEPORT THEM AND SECURE THE BORDER. AND LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING, THE REASON THE DEMOCRATS WILL NOT WIN IN NOVEMBER AND OBAMA WILL NOT BE RE-RELECTED IN 2012 IS BECAUSE THEY SUPPORT AMNESTY FOR ILLEGALS AND THEY DO NOT SUPPORT SB 1070. AMERICANS ARE TIRED OF THOSE POLITICIANS WHO SUPPORT ILLEGAL ALIENS. AMERICANS HAVE SAID MANY TIMES: WE DO NOT SUPPORT AMNESTY BUT THOSE POLITICIANS IN WASHINGTON, DC DO NOT LISTEN TO AMERICANS. THEY LISTEN TO ILLEGAL ALIENS AND THEIR FRIENDS LIKE LA RAZA, ETC. AMERICANS DO NOT SUPPORT THAT. THAT IS WHY WE NEED A NEW GOVERNMENT. BY THE WAY, WE HAVE TO REPLACE HOLDER NOW.

YAHOOEY!!! YIPPEY KI YEA!!! GOODY GOODY!!!

As for this guy
    But, Henderson questions the results.

"I question the numbers," said Henderson. "If these people were blonde hair, blue-eyed Scandinavians rushing across the Canadian border looking for the endless summer, we wouldn't be having this conversation."

BULL POOPY...
    As Aristotle said, “Tolerance and apathy are the first virtue of a dying civilization.â€

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast