Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

This is no joke here's a statement from Absolut's web site

In an ABSOLUT World according to Mexico

The In An Absolut World advertising campaign invites consumers to visualize a world that appeals to them -- one they feel may be more idealized or one that may be a bit "fantastic." As such, the campaign will elicit varying opinions and points of view. We have a variety of executions running in countries worldwide, and each is germane to that country and that population.

This particular ad, which ran in Mexico, was based upon historical perspectives and was created with a Mexican sensibility. In no way was this meant to offend or disparage, nor does it advocate an altering of borders, nor does it lend support to any anti-American sentiment, nor does it reflect immigration issues. Instead, it hearkens to a time which the population of Mexico may feel was more ideal.

As a global company, we recognize that people in different parts of the world may lend different perspectives or interpret our ads in a different way than was intended in that market. Obviously, this ad was run in Mexico, and not the US -- that ad might have been very different.

By Paula Eriksson, VP Corporate Communications, V&S Absolut Spirits

http://absolut.com/iaaw/blog/in-an-a...ding-to-mexico

Blog post

I posted this on my blog and thought it had some relevance here. What exactly would they do with the Southwest without the benefit of U.S. funding?

How much immigration is enough?

I pose this question to any Hispanic immigrant. How many amnesties are enough? How many people would you like us to let in before you deem it OK to control US borders? How many before you actually consider fixing problems in Mexico instead of fleeing? May I have a round number so I don't insult you by bringing it up again in 10 years? God forbid I should insult you with my petty requsts within my own country.

Would you really like Aztlan back? Imagine the whole SW turning into the current border cities without the benefit of federal funding. Doesn't that just sound like a slice of heaven? What happens then? "We'll just cross the new border so we can work and send money home. Certainly they won't mind."

Hmmmm...That sounds a tad cyclical, doesn't it?

I wonder what Ms. Eriksson has planned for U.S. Absolut banners. Since it's supposed to be ONLY for the countries' sensibilities in which it is shown, what can we expect?

How about 1 million buses headed straight for Mexico as we all wave goodbye. How would that be? Certainly, Mexico might not like it, but the banner is just for US, right? According to your rules, if they take offense, so be it.

Somehow I just don't see that happening.

They can absolutely stick their products where the sun don't shine as far as I'm concerned. I don't buy their alibi. None of that stuff for me.

Quote Originally Posted by domack

In no way was this meant to offend or disparage, nor does it advocate an altering of borders, nor does it lend support to any anti-American sentiment, nor does it reflect immigration issues.
    THAT is a bald faced LIE!

The evidence is right there before your eyes and they deny it! I've seen those ads before. They show something people wish for, and yes, by showing it they are endorsing that view. A three year old child could see that!!!
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

How ironic that Mexico cannot even exploit to its economic advantage the land they have now , and yet they want more land to destroy.

Typical third world mentality!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Related article from Los Angeles Times. They have alot of comments on the link below the article.

Mexico reconquers California? Absolut drinks to that!

The latest advertising campaign in Mexico from Swedish vodka maker Absolut promises to push all the right buttons south of the U.S. border, but it could ruffle a few feathers in El Norte.

The billboard and press campaign, created by advertising agency Teran\TBWA and now running in Mexico, is a colorful map depicting what the Americas might look like in an "Absolut" -- i.e., perfect -- world.

The U.S.-Mexico border lies where it was before the Mexican-American war of 1848 when California, as we now know it, was Mexican territory and known as Alta California.

Following the war, the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo saw the Mexican territories of Alta California and Santa Fé de Nuevo México ceded to the United States to become modern-day California, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado and Arizona. (Texas actually split from Mexico several years earlier to form a breakaway republic, and was voluntarily annexed by the United States in 1846.)

The campaign taps into the national pride of Mexicans, according to Favio Ucedo, creative director of leading Latino advertising agency Grupo Gallegos in the U.S.

Ucedo, who is from Argentina, said: “Mexicans talk about how the Americans stole their land, so this is their way of reclaiming it. It’s very relevant and the Mexicans will love the idea.â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by domack

The In An Absolut World advertising campaign invites consumers to visualize a world that appeals to them -- one they feel may be more idealized or one that may be a bit "fantastic." As such, the campaign will elicit varying opinions and points of view. We have a variety of executions running in countries worldwide, and each is germane to that country and that population.

This particular ad, which ran in Mexico, was based upon historical perspectives and was created with a Mexican sensibility. In no way was this meant to offend or disparage, nor does it advocate an altering of borders, nor does it lend support to any anti-American sentiment, nor does it reflect immigration issues. Instead, it hearkens to a time which the population of Mexico may feel was more ideal.

As a global company, we recognize that people in different parts of the world may lend different perspectives or interpret our ads in a different way than was intended in that market. Obviously, this ad was run in Mexico, and not the US -- that ad might have been very different.

By Paula Eriksson, VP Corporate Communications, V&S Absolut Spirits

http://absolut.com/iaaw/blog/in-an-a...ding-to-mexico
    If absolut really want to do damage control they could have tried to pass this off as a Photoshop hoax and not the ad they created. They only run this for a short time in Mexico. It was a targeted high volume short term ad, there and gone with little time for U.S. residents to catch it. Unfortunately for them it got away from them and the halfhearted apology attempt is nothing more than lip service. Believe me there would have been no apology if this would have slid by un-noticed.

They made their mistake by trying to counter with a weak apology statement. This statement only confirms that the ad is authentic and of their creation and not that of the so called reconquista conspiracy theorist. Media mouthpieces like Geraldo have always tried to pass Atzlan and reconquista claims off as the fantasies of the racist xenophobic rabid hate peddlers of the anti-immigrant movement. It’s hard to deny the fact that Absolut crossed the line got caught, took ownership of the ad.

Most marketing department when creating an ad campaigns always target a particular group with wording, music, background scenes, or pictures. While trying to achieve this goal the rule is to remain neutral to the non-target groups. You baby boomers should be able to relate to a least one commercial that you call someone else into the room to watch that has a good 70’s tune playing in the background of a car commercial. Meanwhile your kids look at you like you have three eyes. The ad was targeted at you but did offend your kids. On the converse of that is the ad for a new energy drink additive on the market targeted at kids. It’s called smack and comes in a small vile. It looks like heroin but is an energy drink additive and parents are PO’ed. Obviously the add was not non-offensive to the non-target group.

Absolut made the following assertion in their apology, “As a global
    company, we recognize that people in different parts of the
    world may lend different perspectives or interpret our ads in a
    different way than was intended in that market, and for that we
    apologize.â€
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

There is no way they the company can spin this . It's a Bold Slap in the face to all Americans . First our politicians turn on us , then Duyba turns on them . Now even a dam Vodka company tells us what to do . This tells me We are Very close to losing our Sovereignty . NO respect from anybody . Specially our Congress and MSM . Bet all 3 candidates for potus are laughing all the way to the bank . Why do i say this ? Cause i see it just like you'll now everyday more and more . Spanish all over the states and on tv etc etc . The Elites totally condone this ad . Nothing is being done .
    Do We the People have an American to vote for ? NO
    Dam i need a drink
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

Absolut is a Swedish company, right? I wonder how the Swedish people would feel if a map of Sweden was published that showed 3/4 of it as Norway?

Perhaps a better analogy would be how would the Czechs have felt in 1935 if a company had published a map showing their country as part of Germany?

What's next? Is absolut going to publish maps catering to muslims showing Europe and the USA as part of a muslim caliphate? Or maybe they'll publish ads that cater to Holocaust denyers next?
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast