Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

ACLU should check the law

ACLU should check the law

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 66523.html

By Dimitri Vassilaros
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, August 18, 2006

Until a few weeks ago most Americans didn't know how to spell "Hazleton," let alone know what it is, where it is or why they should give a hoot.

But all that changed after a Hazleton resident, 29, was shot between the eyes and a young teenager was poised to shoot up a schoolyard. (Well, the spelling thing didn't change. Blame a typo transposing the "E" and "L" during the incorporation of the Pennsylvania city.) Because he strongly believed the suspects were illegals, Mayor Lou Barletta decided to do something about illegal immigrants in Luzerne County's second largest city.

"That's when I had enough," Mr. Barletta said. "I was watching the city being destroyed right before my eyes."

He helped pass an ordinance in July that punishes employers who hire illegals and landlords who rent to them. It also makes English the official language of city government. Ay Caramba.

And that is about the time the American Civil Liberties Union and other apologists for foreigners violating American law had had enough. They filed a lawsuit on Tuesday claiming the law is unconstitutional.

With almost 1,000 letters and 9,500 e-mail messages from supporters nationwide (before the ACLU lawsuit) thanking him, offering moral support and wishing their respective officials would do the same, little wonder Barletta has become a regular guest on cable TV news channels.

His biggest surprise after the new law was in force was how passionately America feels about this issue. "My intent was to protect the people of Hazleton," he said. "I never anticipated the reaction." Barletta says the media contact him daily for interviews or to be a talk show guest.

And there is that domino effect. "Over 30 cities in the nation are in the process of passing similar ordinances or already have done so," he says.

"I think that says something. We just hit a nerve here. The fact I spoke up has caused others to follow what we are doing. The American people cannot wait for the federal government to solve the problem (of illegal immigration). They want action now, especially the small cities."

But Witold Walczak, legal director of the ACLU of Pennsylvania, said in a news release that "You might as well just paint a target on every foreigners' (sic) forehead or a sign saying 'please treat me differently.' " Um, OK. Actually, that sounds like a dandy idea.

"It is patently illegal for a local municipality to usurp the role of the federal government," Mr. Walczak says.

But that is patently absurd.

After Walczak looks up the definition of "usurp" -- as in to take possession of without a strict legal claim, or to seize and hold an office, place, or powers without authorization -- he should read the 1996 Immigration and Nationality Act.

The secretary of Homeland Security is authorized to enter into a written agreement to delegate the authority of enforcing federal immigration laws to a state or political subdivision of a state. And through Immigration and Customs Enforcement, local law enforcement officers can receive immigration enforcement training. The cost for the five-week program is $520 per officer.

Since Hazleton won't back down, it welcomes donations to stand up to the ACLU -- online at www.smalltowndefenders.com or by snail mail at City of Hazleton Legal Defense Fund, City Hall, 40 N. Church St., Hazleton, PA 18201.

"We're not going to be bullied," says Mayor Barletta.

But Witold Walczak, legal director of the ACLU of Pennsylvania, said in a news release that "You might as well just paint a target on every foreigners' (sic) forehead or a sign saying 'please treat me differently.' " Um, OK. Actually, that sounds like a dandy idea.
    How about we just paint a bullseye on your butt you traitorous puke.

Save us taxpayers some money and go duck hunting w/ VP Chenney.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Since Hazleton won't back down, it welcomes donations to stand up to the ACLU -- online at www.smalltowndefenders.com or by snail mail at City of Hazleton Legal Defense Fund, City Hall, 40 N. Church St., Hazleton, PA 18201.

"We're not going to be bullied," says Mayor Barletta.

You look different, act different, speak a different language and disobey our laws.......you EXPECT to be treated differently. Sword cuts both ways. You don't set yourself apart as "special" and cry about the fact your treated "special". They painted the target on themselves.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)