Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ACLU Urges County Officials to Reject Anti-Immigrant Ordina

ACLU of Virginia Urges County Officials to Reject Anti-Immigrant Ordinance (7/9/2007)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Proposed Ordinance Would Lead to Discrimination, Denial of Legally Required Services, ACLU Says

RICHMOND, VA - The American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia today asked members of the Prince William Board of Supervisors not to approve a proposed anti-immigrant ordinance that could lead to increased discrimination based on national origin and to the denial of essential, legally required services to undocumented immigrants. The Board of Supervisors is scheduled to vote on the controversial ordinance at its meeting tomorrow afternoon.

"There is nothing subtle about the purposes of this ordinance," said ACLU of Virginia Executive Director Kent Willis. "It is a large not-welcome mat being laid down before Prince William's immigrant community and it will surely lead to discriminatory treatment of minorities, whether documented or undocumented."

The proposed measure requires police officers to inquire about the immigration status of any person they detain; allows county personnel to check a person's immigration status to determine eligibility for federal, state or local benefits; and gives county residents the right to legal action against the county government to compel compliance with its obligations under the ordinance.

In a letter faxed this afternoon to Prince William officials, Willis and ACLU of Virginia Legal Director Rebecca Glenberg said that county officials may intend to use the ordinance to prevent undocumented persons from accessing benefits, such as public education and emergency medical care, to which they are entitled under federal law.

"While it is not clear that the resolution actually requires the denial of services to undocumented immigrants, it does appear that at least some members of the Board of Supervisors construe it to do so," wrote Willis and Glenberg. "Any attempt by the County to deny such services would be unlawful and would be an invitation to litigation."

The ACLU also questions the right of county officials to create a new legal action allowing residents to sue local government agencies for not enforcing the ordinance. Under Virginia's "Dillon Rule," the county may not have the authority to pass such an ordinance.

"This is a highly unusual way for the government to monitor itself," Willis said. "So unusual, in fact, that one wonders if its real purpose is simply to give county residents a formal means of harassing immigrants."

The ACLU of Virginia's letter to the Prince William County Board of Supervisors is online at www.aclu.org/immigrants/discrim/30444leg20070709.html

http://www.aclu.org/immigrants/discrim/ ... 70709.html

The ACLU is getting to be more and more like a pesky fly at a picnic. I just want to swat them and squish them!!!!!!
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

"It is a large not-welcome mat being laid down before Prince William's immigrant community and it will surely lead to discriminatory treatment of minorities, whether documented or undocumented."
    How LOUD must it be said that this is not about immigrants; it's about ILLEGAL immigrants.

EMAIL I SENT TO ACLU TODAY:

You are such a bunch of pricks, sticking up for lawbreakers who deserve nothing but going back to where they came from.

Please tell me why you are so hell bent on the illegal aliens receiving public benefits which is clearly against the law?

Please explain to me why the U.S. taxpayers should be responsible for these illegals?

Please explain why they have more rights then Americans?

Please explain to me when the ACLU turned against U.S. citizen's rights and why?

Please explain to me why you are not after Jorge Boosh for not defending the U.S. against invasion and not holding to his oath of office which is in direct conflict with U.S. citizens?

Please explain exactly what MY rights are as regards the illegal aliens?

Any attempt by the County to deny such services would be unlawfu....l
    They're trying to use the 'LAW' as a weapon to defend the very same people who violated the 'LAW' by entering the country illegaly. What a bunch of Communist hypocrites!

I wish 80% of the cities and towns in the U .S. would come up with the so called "anti-immigrant" laws, the ACLU might go broke trying to sue everybody.

If they are URGING....maybe their unlimited funds are drying out. Can't go doing freebies forever!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: ACLU Urges County Officials to Reject Anti-Immigrant Or

"There is nothing subtle about the purposes of this ordinance," said ACLU of Virginia Executive Director Kent Willis. "It is a large not-welcome mat being laid down before Prince William's immigrant community and it will surely lead to discriminatory treatment of minorities, whether documented or undocumented."

Darned right there's nothing subtle about the purpose of this ordinance, nor should there be. All over America, cities, town, counties, and states, are fed up to the gills and saying so. If they've got a problem with that......tough.
    The proposed measure requires police officers to inquire about the immigration status of any person they detain; allows county personnel to check a person's immigration status to determine eligibility for federal, state or local benefits; and gives county residents the right to legal action against the county government to compel compliance with its obligations under the ordinance.

And just what's the problem with any of those provisions? If you're an illegal and detained by police they have every right to determine your legal staus and turn you over to ICE. If you're an illegal you're not permitted to receive any benefits.....should you not have to prove that you are? And what's wrong with a county wanting to a.) ensure all entities comply with the ordinance, and b.) guarantee it's residents that it's not just blowing smoke, by giving it's citizens a means of holding them accountable?
    "While it is not clear that the resolution actually requires the denial of services to undocumented immigrants, it does appear that at least some members of the Board of Supervisors construe it to do so," wrote Willis and Glenberg. "Any attempt by the County to deny such services would be unlawful and would be an invitation to litigation."

The ACLU is looking for problems that don't even exist!! If this is all they can come up with, they must know they've got nothing else!!!! I think that's a very good sign!!!

"This is a highly unusual way for the government to monitor itself," Willis said. "So unusual, in fact, that one wonders if its real purpose is simply to give county residents a formal means of harassing immigrants."

Yes, I'm quite sure that the ACLU finds it unusual that a government of any sort would actually monitor itself and hold itself accountable to members of the public. And, may I ask, how this provision would give residents a means of harassing illegals?

I see grasping at straws and "urging" instead of the usual threatening while confidently laying out their case. Could it be that the ACLU knows they have no case?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

UT ..just ONE illegal is too many, let’s start w/the usurper & his cronies..!! ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nouveauxpoor
    "It is a large not-welcome mat being laid down before Prince William's immigrant community and it will surely lead to discriminatory treatment of minorities, whether documented or undocumented."
    How LOUD must it be said that this is not about immigrants; it's about ILLEGAL immigrants.
    I'll go a step further: They're illegal 'Migrants', Aliens, or Foreign Nationals

Rob
    www.NetLog.com/iQuestionEverything
    No need for ‘mass roundups’, simply ENFORCE EXISTING law*& MANDATE the worker ID, ..but SEVEN amnesties? Hmm, WHO cried wolf?!