Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Activists invoke KKK as reason to oppose illegal immigration

Activists invoke KKK as reason to oppose illegal immigration crackdown

9:27 AM, Apr 26, 2011 ATLANTA -- Across Georgia, the attack rhetoric is getting hotter over illegal immigration, because of the legislature's vote for a tough crackdown on illegal immigrants -- a bill that Governor Deal has said he will soon sign into law and put into effect.

People who oppose the crackdown and want the governor to veto the legislation -- the legislation is formally named "House Bill 87" -- are now putting up homemade banners on highway bridges.

The banner they hung Monday morning on the North Ave. bridge over the Downtown Connector refers to a north Georgia Ku Klux Klan group that supports the immigration crackdown: "KKK Supports HB87. Gov. Deal, Do You?"

Someone removed the banner by mid-morning.

One of the Atlanta volunteers in the banner campaign is Bekah Ward, who told 11Alive News Monday evening that she does not believe the banner is saying that all supporters of HB87 are KKK sympathizers.

"It's not my intent to insult anyone. It is, instead, my intent to raise awareness about the real content of this bill. And the kind of history that Georgia wants to maintain. Georgia has a proud history of civil rights. And we want to maintain that history, not denigrate it. It's hate legislation, it's legislation the KKK approves of. And that's not the direction our state needs to go."

The main sponsor of the crackdown, Rep. Matt Ramsey, (R) Peachtree City, told 11Alive News that the banner campaign amounts to "more left-wing hysterics by extremists who can't accept that most Georgians want the governor to sign it into law."

Supporters of the banner campaign, who describe it as a grassroots effort, include Somos Georgia, "a growing movement of Georgians committed to immigrant, racial and economic justice," according to its website.

An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that The Diversity Projekt is helping organize the banner campaign, but Kathrin Ivanovic, blogger at The Diversity Projekt and an organizer with Somos Georgia, said that Somos Georgia is helping publicize the effort that others started.
    http://www.11alive.com/news/article/188 ... -crackdown

So what, most members of the KKK probably support lower gas prices too. Does that mean we're supposed to be against lowering fuel prices just because the KKK also supports lower prices? The whole argument of not supporting something simply because a special interest groups supports it is ridiculous. The KKK probably support our right to own guns too. While I don't support the KKK, I most certainly support a private citizens right to own a gun(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey
    So what, most members of the KKK probably support lower gas prices too. Does that mean we're supposed to be against lowering fuel prices just because the KKK also supports lower prices? The whole argument of not supporting something simply because a special interest groups supports it is ridiculous. The KKK probably support our right to own guns too. While I don't support the KKK, I most certainly support a private citizens right to own a gun(s).
    i love how you put that .... i don''t think the sign will trick anyone ....

Why hasn't Gov. Deal signed this already ? Whats the hold up ?
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    I didnt support the kkk for what they had done in the past,but if they go against the illegals i say go for it.We need all the support we can get,and as far as them supporting gun rights i do too im not part of the kkk its a constutional right as gun owners im a hunter and carry an consealed weapons card.The kkk hasnt been vocal or caused trouble in years so they march hold meetings but as far as violence you dont hear of it.( mod edit).Whats the kkk got to do with gas prices they dont contol gas prices that statment dont even make sence i bet if you ask them they dont like the high gas prices cost to much in gas to attend meetings or marches

Nice try losers. You betcha I support HB87 AND SB1070, I wanna see more like these bills in every state!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Again their only argument to why they should stay is the race card how original! Who cares what the clan supports and doesn't that's not the issue! Their little free ride is comming to a close and like an uneducated person who cannot provide facts they try to guilt trip people into letting them stay!

"KKK Supports HB87. Gov. Deal, Do You?"

Someone removed the banner by mid-morning.
    My newest HERO! I would have done the very same, and I woud have DARED anyone to stop me!

duckman wrote:

Whats the kkk got to do with gas prices they dont contol gas prices that statment dont even make sence
    Sorry you failed to understand the point I was attempting to make. Well, at least marquis understood.

As usual, when they don't get their way they resort to weak attempts at racebaiting.

To invoke comparisons of the State Government of Georgia to the KKK of over a hundred years ago during the reconstruction of the South shows a certain short sighted ignorance and is so blatant it is laughable.

It seems that all intervention groups for illegal foriegn nationals seems to be centered on people from Latin countries. I don't see them advocating for illegal Irish, Russian, poles, Korean, Chinese etc. It just seems a little exclusive to me.

Hispanic is not a race.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast