Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Activists: Protect Illegals Fleeing Cartel Violence

Activists: Protect Illegals Fleeing Cartel Violence
    Updated: Tuesday, 30 Mar 2010, 9:37 PM CDT
    Published : Tuesday, 30 Mar 2010, 7:59 PM CDT

By LILIA CHACON, FOX Chicago News

Chicago activists say it may be time to give undocumented Mexican immigrants a break, especially those running from drug cartel violence.

They're asking President Obama for help, and its triggering a different kind of immigration debate.

Beheadings, kidnapings, extortion and executions: these are just some of the consequences in Mexico's raging drug wars.

Another consequence, people running over the border to escape the violence.

15,000 people have been executed in Mexico in the past three years, including 80 journalists, and the death toll includes nearly 2,500 just since this year started.

Mexican president Felipe Calderon has been trying to put the druglords out of business, but even with more than 40,000 soldiers he has been out-gunned, and outspent.

Luis Pelaya is the president of Chicago's Hispanic Council. He's asking for TPS, temporary protected status, for Mexicans fleeing the drug violence in certain Mexican states. People from countries like Somalia and Haiti have been granted TPS by the Department of Homeland Security.

"There are states in Mexico," said Pelaya, "where people are afraid to take children to school or to go to church. Faceoffs between the army and cartels are extremely common, shootouts lasting for hours."

Even anti-immigration advocates say it's different when entire families are running from violence and not just a bad economy. But some critics say there must be safe places within Mexico where they could find sanctuary.

They call it a clumsy attempt to circumvent U.S. immigration laws.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/me ... l-violence

then maybe the people of mexico need to formally ask for us to have military intervention, we could see how tough the cartels are when facing the 3rd mariine division or the 101st airborne

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    soooo that we can keep getting slaughtered in our own country

13 people killed nightly by Illegal Alien violance

12 killed a day by Illegal Alien on our highways

no thank you .. your gratitude is killing us, literally
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

As I posted on another thread - this topic was discussed on a local radio show in San. Fran...Asking, what do we do about it?...
    Sure getting pretty darn bad...Gawd, the stories I'm hearing are heartbreaking...

I have no problem with allowing 'sanctuary' for those running from the violence...The problem is - not letting bad people take advatage of that...

Bottom line is Mexico is becoming a failed state (NAFTA, and the 'drug war' sure don't help - I'm for decriminalizing the drugs)...
    And will we have to help 'nation build' there now, to protect ourselves?...

no sanctuary

I have a REAL problem with ANYONE who wants sanctuary in my country. Let them stay in their own country and make it a better place to live.

..."I have a REAL problem with ANYONE who wants sanctuary in my country. Let them stay in their own country and make it a better place to live."...

But, that's the point...Some people can't stay in their country and live - they will be murdered...You can't make your country a better place if you are murdered...Thinking people should just stay there and get murdered, or tortured, or both...

Is just plain heartless and disgusting...

UN

serpentine...thats for the U.N. to sort out no the U.S.

Not our responsibility to take care of foreign countries citizens. Mexico should be protecting their citizens, we have neither the room or money for more leeches.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "