Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Activists target Arpaio

Activists target Arpaio
    Immigrants' activists focus on removing sheriff from office
    June 30th, 2008 @ 7:12am
    by Bob McClay/KTAR

Immigration activists are vowing to get Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio out of office, in part because of his crime suppression sweeps which they claim constitute racial profiling of Hispanics to look for illegal immigrants.

Arpaio wound up his latest two-day operation last Friday in Mesa. Previously, he conducted operations at two Phoenix locations where day laborers gather and in the town of Guadalupe on the Phoenix-Tempe border.

The sheriff called the Mesa operation a success and said he will continue his crime suppression sweeps. He also said he will not provide advance notice to Mesa Police Chief George Gascon about future operations, claiming Gascon tried to turn last week's operation into a circus.

Alfredo Gutierrez of So Mos America is among those calling for Arpaio to be replaced. Gutierrez said anyone would be better.

``There's a joke around here that a small rock or a large dog would be better than Joe Arpaio," Gutierrez said.

He said the sheriff's office should be occupied by ``a professional police officer who is going to act as a professional police officer should."

Gutierrez, a former state lawmaker, said he is supporting Arpaio's challenger in the November election.

``I endorse Dan Saban because I think he does meet that criteria of a professional police officer. Absolutely. I think that we're looking at the kind of alternative that we need in police enforcement in this county."

Saban and Gutierrez are Democrats. Arpaio is a Republican.

Gutierrez called on Gov. Janet Napolitano to speak out against Arpaio's sweeps.

``The mayor has spoken out, the chief of police in Mesa has spoken out. It's time for the governor, who intervened on his behalf to allow him to do these abusive raids, to speak out as well."

Also condemning Arpaio's raids was immigrants' rights activist Salvador Reza. He said he hopes the sheriff will have a change of heart.

``Hopefully, he'll learn his lesson and stop these stupid sweeps. But if he does the sweeps, we'll be there to follow him wherever he goes."

Reza said So Mos America had 20 teams following sheriff's deputies around Mesa during last week's sweep. He said they took video tape of traffic stops and will turn those over to attorneys to see if there is a basis for a lawsuit against the county.

Arpaio is not without his supporters, among them Bill Lindbergh, who said he's all for the sheriff going after illegal immigrants and checking out places where day laborers gather.

``As far as I'm concerned, all these people on the street corners every morning, I think he should get an undercover pickup truck and just pull in there, and anybody who jumps in the back of the truck, take them down to jail and sort 'em out there."

Lindbergh said he believes Arpaio was ``blind-sided" by Gascon.

``The chief of police in Mesa wanted two days notice, so he gave him two days notice, and, all of a sudden, the whole world knows about it."

Lindberg said the information should have been within the sheriff's and police departments.

``Don't tell the whole world so all the illegal aliens can hide all day."

The two-day sweep in Mesa led to 72 arrests, including 28 suspected illegal immigrants.

http://ktar.com/?nid=6&sid=878877
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

He said the sheriff's office should be occupied by ``a professional police officer who is going to act as a professional police officer should."

As far as I know, professional police officers uphold the laws, at least in this country they do and as far as I can tell, that is exactly what Joe Arpaio is doing.

Therefore, I can only assume that what this guy is saying is needed is someone like Gascon, or Bratton in LA, who will give IAs a free pass in their criminal activity.

Guitierrez can stuff that idea in his suggestion box and smile, smile, smile.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Lindbergh said he believes Arpaio was ``blind-sided" by Gascon.

``The chief of police in Mesa wanted two days notice, so he gave him two days notice, and, all of a sudden, the whole world knows about it."
    Bingo!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Phone:
    602-263-2012

www.somosamerica.org