Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

An Actual Deportation

Woman might be allowed to return
    Cleaver’s proposal is a sign of hope
    By DONALD BRADLEY
    The Kansas City Star
    “This is just a roller-coaster ride.”

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/14587711.htm

Brady Dick

After a two-year legal effort to stay in the United States and a new order to prepare to leave, Myrna Dick packed Monday for deportation to her native Mexico.

But the Raymore woman received new hope that could allow her to someday return.

U.S. Rep. Emanuel Cleaver sent a draft of a proposed bill to the House of Representatives legislative counsel Monday that, if it becomes law, could provide a means for someone in Dick’s position to stay in or return to the country.

Cleaver’s office told Dick the news, which came just as she and her husband were making plans for life after she leaves.

“I don’t want to go, but if I can come back someday it will be OK,” she said. “If that’s what I have to hope for, then I will take it.”

Dick, 31, who came to the U.S. as a child, is married to an American citizen. The couple have an 18-month-old son.

A Cleaver spokesman cautioned the Dick family against getting too excited.

“But maybe there could be a legislative fix for all the Myrna Dicks out there — those who are married to American citizens and with American children,” said Danny Rotert.

The proposed bill would provide for a review of cases that are now handled exclusively by immigration officials and take into consideration such things as family, time in the country and conduct, Rotert said.

Dick’s husband, Brady Dick, said Cleaver’s involvement came just as the family was ready to give up.

“This is just a roller-coaster ride, and it’s tearing my heart out,” Brady Dick said Monday.

Last week, officials told Myrna Dick that she had 30 days to prepare for deportation.

“What’s so frustrating to me is that the president and Congress are working on a plan right now that could legalize millions of illegal immigrants,” Brady Dick said.

In April 2004, when Dick reported to the Kansas City offices of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to renew her work permit, she was arrested, handcuffed and detained in a rural county jail. Officials accused her of claiming false citizenship during a 1998 border crossing — a crime punishable by immediate and permanent deportation from American soil.

Dick denied the charge and said they had her confused with someone else.

Officials said they had strong evidence, including fingerprints.

U.S. District Judge Scott O. Wright intervened and told immigration officials that they could not deport Dick because her unborn child was a U.S. citizen.

That child is now 18-month-old Zachary Dick, and his mother’s case has been denied at each stop in federal court.

Dick’s attorney, Rekha Sharma-Crawford, said on Monday that congressional action now represented Dick’s best chance

She was deported for saying she was a citizen at the border check. If lying is a deportable offense, then let's get the buses ready.

No more tears for them! They know they broke the laws the minute they came here...we cannot allow our government to keep crying for those illegals.
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

So an unborn child is now a US citizen? Interesting. I have always believed life begins at conception (I am not trying to get into the whole abortion thing here, just my belief) but now I have to ponder when American citizenship begins. Not that it really matters I guess because the anchor baby thing needs to go out with the bathwater also.