Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

African American Leader's Illegal Immigration Views

http://www.miamiherald.com/416/story/101347.html

Fair's immigration views take battering
    BY LESLEY CLARK
    lclark@MiamiHerald.com

WASHINGTON -- T. Willard Fair and his assertion that unchecked immigration is harmful to African Americans took a battering at a House panel Wednesday, but the Miami civil rights leader who has joined a movement that wants to cap immigration declared his ``mission accomplished.''

That is, Fair said, a House committee heard testimony from him that African-American males are being squeezed out of jobs by a rising tide of immigration.

''There's no doubt about it, in Miami, that as the number of legal and illegal immigrants rise, prosperity drops in our community,'' Fair, chairman of the Florida Board of Education and president of the Urban League of Greater Miami, told a House Judiciary subcommittee.

His testimony came as Republicans complained that they were not allowed to call their own witnesses at an immigration hearing last week.

Fair, who appears in newspaper ads sponsored by the Coalition for the Future American Worker, which wants to reduce legal and illegal immigration, came under withering criticism from two Democratic African-American congressman on the committee, who said other factors are more to blame for a high unemployment and incarceration rate among young black men.

''You have chosen to pick the most divisive . . . frankly the most corrosive [position],'' said Rep. Artur Davis, D-Ala., said to Fair. 'My concern is . . . `us against them' politics is not in the interest of racial minorities.''

Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn., said he had a difficult time finding work as a black male, ''but in 2007, to be told it's the immigrant's fault, I just don't buy that,'' Ellison said.

But after the hearing, Fair said he was pleased to get a conversation started.

He said he planned to meet today with other members of the congressional black caucus. Many, including South Florida Reps. Alcee Hastings, D-Miramar, and Kendrick Meek, D-Miami, have co-sponsored a House bill that would provide some of those here illegally a chance for citizenship.

But many House Republicans say they remain staunchly opposed to what they consider ''amnesty'' for people here illegally.

''If we have to pay a few cents more for a head of lettuce at the grocery store in order to protect American workers, we should do so,'' said Rep. Lamar Smith, R-Texas.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    corrodin to what I’ve been reading lately from some of the powers that be, Criminal immigration is harmful to Blacks more then Whites...(which is as much bull as any thing else those powers have been shoving down our throats lately.)
    Its got to stop being any thing other then Harmful to America,
    [Color i is not an Issue,] Its America past or present .

Whats that old tune ?

THE RAINBOW SONG:
    chorus:
    we're a rainbow made of children
    we're an army just singn a song
    theres no weapons that can stop us
    rainbow love is much too strong
    i was born in Mississippi sayin yes sir to all the men
    but i found that got me no where so i never said it again
    i was taught that black was evil i was taught that white was good
    but when you become a rainbow all the colors are understood

Lets be the rain bow of America and stop criminals in there tracks.

we reap what we soe

It appears that some in the black community are starting to awaken.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>