Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

AGENTS NAB 406 ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS

Agents nab 406 suspected illegal immigrants
    I-20 has become main line for smugglers
    Ana Radelat • Clarion-Ledger Washington Bureau • February 1, 2008

Read Comments(3)Recommend (7)Print this page E-mail this article
    Share this article: Del.icio.us Facebook Digg Reddit Newsvine What’s this?
    WASHINGTON — Federal agents, with the help of local law enforcement, detained 406 suspected illegal immigrants between Vicksburg and Jackson on I-20, which authorities say is becoming a major corridor for smugglers.

"Operation Uniforce" a two-week effort to cut off the traffic of undocumented workers to the East Coast, was "very successful" compared with similar operations run out of the Customs and Border Protection's New Orleans office, said spokesman Ramon Rivera.

Similar Border Patrol operations were conducted last year along I-10 in Baton Rouge and Mobile, resulting in hundreds of deportations and detentions. Operation Uniforce began Jan. 13 and wrapped up Saturday.

Most of the immigrants detained were taken to a federal facility in Oakdale, La. Six were turned over to federal prosecutors on smuggling charges, and one kilo of cocaine was seized, Rivera said.

Most of the detainees are Mexican nationals.

Operation Uniforce was an effort for the border patrol agents to try to disrupt networks or roads used by smugglers. Federal agents hope to force the traffickers to take longer, costlier and more circuitous routes to discourage the practice.

"It is not an unusual operation, but it's new to this area," Rivera said of Operation Uniforce.

He also said federal agents may return to Mississippi. Forty border patrol agents were involved in Operation Uniforce.

Capt. Steven Pickett, spokesman for the Hinds County Sheriff's Department, said he would welcome the return of federal agents. Immigration law is a federal concern, he said. "Locally, our hands are somewhat tied," he said.

The Sheriff's Department had a role in Operation Uniforce, however, helping staff traffic stops and transport detainees, he said.

I-20 is becoming almost as popular as I-10 for transporting immigrants to farms, poultry plants and construction jobs in Eastern states. It runs across the South and links up major highways, including I-95 that runs from Florida to the Canadian border.

Contact Ana Radelat at aradelat@gns.gannett.com.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Banned
    WhatMattersMost, Can you Post the link to where this information has come from ?

Yes, we do require a link for news articles to be able to verify the source.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Sounds like "Operation Uniforce" is a very good thing....thats the most they have gotten at one time for a long while, lets hope they deport!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainDog
    Yes, we do require a link for news articles to be able to verify the source.

Its here at:
    http://www.clarionledger.com

And here at:
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-101319-age ... immigrants