Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Aggie Conservatives Condemn Governor Perry Over Illegal Immi

Aggie Conservatives Condemn Governor Perry Over Illegal Immigration
    October 10, 2011

A controversial petition has been circling around Texas A&M condemning an act signed by Governor Rick Perry.
    Reporter: Rashi Vats

3 Comments

Governor Rick Perry signed off on the Dream Act more than 10 years ago, but now some of his fellow Aggies are signing on to a petition against the idea.

"We should not be rewarding the criminality coming over here by funding their tuition," said Steven Schroeder, chairman of the Texas Aggie Conservatives.

The act permits foreign-born children of illegal immigrants to pay in-state college tuition.

The Texas Aggie Conservatives believe it's not fair.

"Everyone should be educated, and if you want to be educated, go right ahead, but we don't want it to be the responsibility here at Texas A&M and of taxpayers to subsidize it for them," said Schroeder.

Although Texas A&M promotes the Dream Act, a spokesperson from the university says they are not opposed to what the Aggie Conservatives are doing. They say the petition is a way they are expressing their freedom of speech.

Last year, another group on campus started a petition for the Dream Act. They collected over 1000 signatures. Camden Breeding added his autograph to that list.

"Many people that I know that are undocumented, which is the term that I prefer, or out of status which is a more accurate term. Many of them have been here since they were 2,3,4 years old, and they are Americans just like every single one of us," said Breeding.

Rodrigo Benedetti came to Texas A&M from Colombia, and he says paying in-state tuition is a privilege he acknowledges. He feels it's a win-win for undocumented immigrants and taxpayers.

"It was a big change, a big challenge. English wasn't even my first language. A student that comes here and graduates is a student that is going to spread the word about education. They are going to contribute further," said Benedetti.

The Aggie Conservatives' goal is to reach 1000 signatures by the end of the week, and then send it to Governor Perry in hopes that he will call a special legislative session to end the act.

There are a couple of stipulations for undocumented students to get in-state college tuition. They must have attended Texas high schools for at least three years and apply to become a U.S. citizen.

http://oneoldvet.com/

www.kbtx.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

They can't work here legally so we are subsidizing their SECONDARY education and taking slots from citizens that can work legally in this country and build our economy.
    They can go away to college in their home countries for about the same or less cost, but I have a feeling they are getting more than discounted tuition.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Many people that I know that are undocumented, which is the term that I prefer, or out of status which is a more accurate term.
    Illegal alien/s... c'mon, you can say it, I know you can.
    Really, it's not that difficult a concept.
    I don't care who you are, how you got here, what color you are, what language/dialect you speak... If you didn't get here legally then you don't belong here. Period.