Albertville city leaders praise judge's decision on immigration law
Posted: Sep 28, 2011 8:44 PM CDT
By Stephen McLamb

ALBERTVILLE, AL (WAFF) - The ruling on Alabama's immigration law Wednesday may have a big impact in the city of Albertville.

Mayor Lindsey Lyons and Councilman Chuck Ellis are pleased with the judge's ruling. The city has tried to enact their own immigration ordinances in recent years.

Ellis called it a great day for law abiding citizens and the rule of law.

The mayor believes it will help further reduce the illegal immigrant population in the city.

Parts of the law will allow law enforcement to check the status of suspected illegals and detain them. The mayor feels that is key in dealing with illegal immigration in the city and the state.

"Is this person here legally? Or is this person here not legally? And now we are going to have the tools to do that. And that's what we've asked for for a number of years now. And Judge Blackburn, I think, has done an appropriate thing for the state of Alabama," said Lyons.

"You know, there is nothing major in her ruling that I'm disappointed with because I think she really got to the nuts and bolts of it and upheld the main portions of this bill," he continued.

As for enforcing the law, the mayor said he held a meeting Wednesday evening with his chief officers at the police department about the protocol.

http://www.waff.com/story/15574091/albe ... ration-law