Illegal in the Valley: Fake identification for sale

Updated: Feb 14, 2008 07:53 AM PST

Illegal immigration is an issue at the state and federal level that's presented more problems than solutions. At the state level, illegal residents have taken a toll on law enforcement, and many have gotten creative to stay in the states.

WAFF 48 Investigator Eric Sollman says our identification, a driver's license or social security card, is what identifies us as citizens. However, some are using fake identifications ranging from resident alien cards to operator's licenses.

For the Albertville Police Department, it's an overflowing problem.

"I'd be scared to say what percentage of I.D's are legitimate, because it would probably be shocking," says Sgt. Jamie Smith with the Albertville Police Department.

For detectives, it can take a practiced eye to tell which I.D.s are fake and which are true government documents.

Some are just plain bad.

"It could have the gender wrong, the picture could be of somebody completely different," says Smith.

"You look at it and you're like no way, not even close to a government document," adds Smith.

Some fake forms are fairly common, but others are far from ordinary.

The latest to hit the scene are false birth certificates.

Some with strong American connections.

"Because Puerto Rico is a territory of The United States, it carries the same value as an Alabama birth certificate," says Smith.

State Legislators recommend laws to help local police departments like Albertville that have frequent visits with customs enforcement.

The Joint Interim Patriotic Commission, composed of state politicians, released its recommendations after months of public meetings.

Laws that, if passed, could give officers the authority to impound vehicles, and arrest drivers without valid drivers licenses.

These proposals could also lead to laws that make it a federal felony to knowingly harbor or hire someone who's illegal.

Many of the commissions proposals are similar to the laws in-place in states like Oklahoma and Arizona.

There, the laws make living and working illegally more difficult.

Will Alabama do the same?

http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=7869946&nav=0hBE