Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

AL: McCain seeks discussion on immigration

McCain seeks discussion on immigration
    Saturday, June 16, 2007
    TORAINE NORRIS and TOM GORDON
    News staff writers
    U.S. Sen. John McCain of Arizona called securing the nation's borders a priority during a campaign appearance Friday in Birmingham. The Republican presidential hopeful also asked Alabama Republicans to join in discussions on ways to solve the nation's immigration dilemma.

McCain, speaking to more than 500 Republicans at the Sheraton Hotel during the evening, said he supports a temporary worker program, but only after the borders are secured. "That is our first and foremost priority."

Immigration reform is a matter of national security, he said.

McCain pleaded for other Republicans to join in the discussion on immigration rather than simply oppose any immigration reform. He called the status quo "silent amnesty" and asked fellow Republicans to bring other ideas to the table.

"If you have a better proposal, tell me please," he said.

Before speaking to Alabama Republicans, McCain visited with those attending the Alabama Veterans of Foreign Wars state convention at the Birmingham Marriott Hotel, shaking hands and posing for pictures.

Among the veterans, the former Vietnam POW appeared to be among friends.

"I believe he deserves all the credit in the world for the simple fact he served our country as a POW," said Fred Smith of Sumiton, a Vietnam veteran like McCain. "He's got my vote. ... Because of what he's been through, he knows what the country needs."

In a brief news conference at the hotel, McCain said the new U.S. military "surge" strategy in Iraq has made some progress and needs more time to work.

"Is it long and hard and tough and great sacrifice? Yes," McCain said. "But I believe that if we don't succeed in bringing that security environment to Iraq, they (terrorists) will follow us home. It would be a catastrophe to do what the Democrats want to do and that's set a date for withdrawal."

McCain said the attacks of 9/11 and the challenge of "radical Islamic extremism" were fundamental issues in the current campaign. "My whole life and experience has prepared me to meet this challenge, and any other challenges," he said.

McCain told Republicans at the Sheraton that unchecked spending was to blame for the party's loss of Congress in 2006. McCain said the party's base became dispirited over Republican-backed spending projects.

"What would Ronald Reagan think of us now," he said. "We've got to get back on track."

He promised if elected to veto pork barrel spending.

The senator's Friday appearance was at least his fifth trip into Alabama since October, counting both public appearances and private fundraisers. That's by far more than any other presidential candidate, Republican or Democrat. Alabama has its 2008 presidential primary on Feb. 5.

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/i ... xml&coll=2

This discussion should have been done before the put together 1348 and tried to force it on americans.