Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

AL: Shelby opposed to amnesty

http://www.troymessenger.com/articles/2 ... ssss03.txt

Shelby opposed to amnesty

Feb 26, 2007

By Matt Clower, The Messenger
    U.S. Sen. Richard Shelby told a gathering of constituents in Troy on Saturday that he would remain opposed to any legislation offering amnesty to illegal immigrants during the upcoming legislative session.

During a noon public meeting at Julia's restaurant, Shelby ate a lunch of fried chicken with a group of about 20 people. He fielded questions and told the audience he would maintain a hard line on illegal immigration, despite growing support for amnesty within Congress and from the president.

Shelby said there are about 12 million illegal immigrants living in the United States - proof, he said, that the nation's immigration laws are not being enforced.

“If you think it is working, you better think again,” Shelby said. “If we have (immigration) laws, we need to enforce them.”

Shelby said that although many Democrats, Republicans and the president are all leaning towards offering some type of amnesty to allow illegal immigrants to stay, he remains opposed to it.

“I'm going to vote against any amnesty,” he said.

Shelby acknowledged that while many of the illegal immigrants are working, he said they still violated the law when entering to country to get those jobs.

“Whether they are working or not, they did not go through the correct system when they came into this country,” he said.

Several people asked about the war in Iraq, and the senator said he remains committed to supporting the troops.

“I don't know what is going to happen in Iraq,” he said. “We had great successes, but now we've let some things slip away.”

Although the situation there is uncertain, Shelby said he would not support any legislation that threatened funding for the war.

“Democrats, and some Republicans, are determined to cut off funding,” he said. “I will support our troops whenever they are endangered, as they are over there.”

Shelby said he feels that within the next six to eight months it will become clear whether or not President Bush's proposed troop surge will turn the tide in Iraq.

But whatever happens, Shelby told the audience he feels the U.S. will not end up stuck in Iraq.

“I won't say a specific timetable, but I believe we will be out of Iraq one way or the other,” Shelby said. “We have no intention of staying there.”

Shelby currently is on statewide tour, making a stop in each Alabama county. Troy Mayor Jimmy Lunsford, who attended the meeting, praised Shelby's willingness to visit the county regularly.

“We are very lucky to have a senator who makes it a point to visit the county every year,” he said.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Texas, California, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado have a huge amount of invaders living in their states. According to statistics, Utah has many illegal's, but not like the states I mentioned above.
    I don't know where these statistics are coming from, but I swear we have a million Mexican/Latino's living in Utah. On Sunday the stores are swarming with them. All you hear is Spanish. Apparently the statistics are not taking into account the anchor babies and the relatives that the illegals are bringing here with them. I think the true count of the Mexican invasion is closer to 80 million.