Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Alberto Gonzales on Sonia Sotomayor S.D.U.T.

Hot Seat: Alberto Gonzales

2:00 a.m. June 10, 2009

Former U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales — who was once mentioned as a possible Supreme Court nominee and whose name has often been mentioned in recent days by conservatives opposed to President Obama's nomination of U.S. Appeals Court Judge Sonia Sotomayor to the high court — took our questions about Sotomayor and this moment in U.S. political history.

What went through your mind when President Obama announced his nomination of U.S. Appeals Court Judge Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court?

I was proud. While I wouldn't have recommended her to George Bush, and George Bush would not have nominated her — based on her ideology — I realize the history of this, the significance of it. I'm going to keep the front page of the newspaper from that day. Because that's history. And that's important. We should not demean or downplay it in any way. A barrier was broken. And I think people need to acknowledge that. It's important.

What do you hope the nation's Latino community takes away from this historic experience?

I hope Latinos are mature enough to accept the fact that it's OK to question her ideology. I would understand resentment in the Latino community at people questioning her qualifications, because I don't think that argument is legitimate. However, questioning her ideology is perfectly fair game as far as I'm concerned. And Latinos need to accept that.
    You have aided in the vetting of many candidates for federal judgeships.

Do you think Sotomayor is a good candidate for the high court or a flawed one?

There are five factors that a president should look at in deciding who to nominate to the Supreme Court: professional excellence; ideology; political factors like a person's race or gender — that is perfectly acceptable; confirmability; integrity and character. Based on my observations, and based on my recommendation of hundreds of federal judges, she is well-qualified to serve on the Supreme Court.

In your opinion, how should the process work from here?

She should be vetted on her ideology. But even with respect to those questions, they should be respectful. They should be fair. No one should get a free pass, just because they're a woman or a Hispanic or an African-American . . . they should all be vetted. This is, after all, a lifetime seat on the highest court in the land.

What do you make of the argument being advanced by some conservatives — including some members of your own party — that Sotomayor would not have been chosen or even seriously considered were she not Hispanic?

This notion that this is an affirmative action pick is laughable because, first of all, she is qualified. So I think what they're saying is, the only reason she is being picked is “because she's Hispanic.â€
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I think I will forward these remarks to the Republican members of the Senate Judiciary. Of course I will have to do a little editing since Mr. Gonzalez at times lapses into some emotionally connected statements. But it does have a use.

Please call the Senate Judiciary Committe members to stop the Sotomayor nomination:
    Additionally for whoever is interested, Patrick Leahy has proposed another immigration bill to allow gay partners of US citizens and LPR to immigrate to the US. There is a video of the Senate hearing at the Judiciary website.
    http://judiciary.senate.gov/
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

no dont edit a thing, let them see every single word

Mr. Gonzales,

How is calling her a racist wrong? SHE is the one that thinks because she is a Latino that she is more qualified. How is that not racist? That ALONE disqualifies her. IF she gets her way, then I am truly worried for America's future.
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&

"no dont edit a thing, let them see every single word"

I said "edit" because it sounds to me like Gonzales is endorsing her. And I want to send it to the Republicans, not create some reverse psychology. Are you saying if I didn't edit out the parts favorable to her the Republicans would react against her cuz Gonzalez likes her?
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I said "edit" because it sounds to me like Gonzales is endorsing her. And I want to send it to the Republicans, not create some reverse psychology. Are you saying if I didn't edit out the parts favorable to her the Republicans would react against her cuz Gonzalez likes her?
    Hi, CaptainRon. Actually, I'd like to point out that editing someone else's remarks to fit another's ideal is not only a gray area and frowned upon, but also smacks of fraudulent behavior. If you want to forward this Senator's statement to others because you agree with it, you probably should do it in full. We opposed to illegal immigration have to take the high road, regardless of how many others skirt around and play with bad behavior, lest we be accused of lying and racism.