Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Aliens lobby Congress for DREAM Act

http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20060524 ... -3836r.htm

Aliens lobby Congress for DREAM Act
    By Keyonna Summers
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    Published May 25, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marie Gonzalez was a model student at her Jefferson City, Mo., high school -- emerging as a track star and graduating with a 3.5 grade-point average.

But her life was turned upside down last year when her parents, who had lived in the United States for 14 years, were discovered to be here illegally. They were deported to Costa Rica when it was revealed that their visitor's visas had expired years ago.

Born in Costa Rica, Miss Gonzalez, 20, faces similar consequences.

She was one of about 70 immigrant and illegal-alien students from across the country who lobbied on Capitol Hill yesterday, sharing photos and personal stories in an effort to rally co-sponsors for the DREAM Act, a House bill that would allow temporary legal status to illegal-alien students who have been living in the United States for at least five years. The act would allow the students to complete a university degree program or serve time in the military and eventually apply for permanent residency.

"I ask that you could look into this," the Westminster College sophomore told a staffer for Rep. Russ Carhanan, Missouri Democrat, as she slid a paper across the table yesterday asking that the lawmaker co-sponsor the act.

The students, who included illegal aliens whose visas have expired and U.S.-born citizens who have illegal-alien parents or siblings, also urged lawmakers not vote for any bill that would lead to the separation of families. The Senate is expected to vote today on pending immigration-reform legislation.

Immigration advocates say that without the DREAM Act, the estimated 65,000 illegal aliens who graduate from high school each year will be unable to obtain legitimate employment, contributing to what some say is a drain on public services.

Or they may face deportation.

"These students have never known any other home; America is their home," said Rich Stolz, immigration co-team leader of Center for Community Change, a District-based immigrant advocacy group. "So, if people are talking about sending them back to someplace else, they're sending them back to strange and foreign lands that they don't know."

Laura Castro, a senior at Lloyd C. Bird High School in Chesterfield, Va., said backlogs have prevented her from obtaining her citizenship, making her ineligible for a work permit that would allow her to pay her way through college. Her visitor's visa expired nearly five years ago but she says it wasn't her choice to remain here illegally.

"My father is a U.S. citizen and my mother is here on a work permit," said Miss Castro, 18, of Columbia, Md. "I'm happy that I'm here because I've benefited; I've learned English and gotten an education."

Miss Gonzalez, who hasn't seen her parents in 10 months, said several circumstances led to her parents' overstaying their visas: Attorneys told the family members that if they were "model citizens" they would be granted legal status.

Miss Gonzalez, who served as a translator for her parents since age 5, didn't know any better.

The family -- who volunteered regularly at their church, owned a restaurant and paid taxes -- could not afford a lawyer once deportation proceedings had begun, Miss Gonzalez said.

She was granted a deferred status in July that allowed her to enroll in college.

Without the DREAM Act, however, the aspiring attorney is worried that she also could be headed back to Costa Rica -- a place that she said she barely knows.

"I would love to see something more comprehensive [come out of the Senate] so that families are kept together, because being split up from my parents is something I wouldn't wish on anyone," she said. "This is my home, by all means."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Dream Acts

Do Not Support the American Dream Act HR 5131 or the Dream Act S 2075, which will give college tuition and in-state tuition rates to Illegal Aliens; Considering 65,000 Illegal Aliens graduate from American High Schools each year, that represents a lot of lost tuition income. Our government and other students will pay the financial difference for those illegal students.

No more special treatment for illegal aliens.

Without the DREAM Act, however, the aspiring attorney is worried
    Just what America needs, another La Raza Attorney.

Please add this to your list of complaints when you call and write Congress.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

perhaps she will do other kind of law. and you do know there is a military option? you do know many are out of alreday out of college?

I don't care if they graduate from college. I'm all for higher learning. I don't want to pay for citizens of another country and I don‘t want our tax dollars being spent on foreign nationals educations. I can‘t send my kids to Mexico to get a free or reduced education. So give them what they disserve NO Freebies!!!!!!!!!

I've got my own children to support. Other people need to provide for their own. They have had 18 years to save for a college tuition. America should not pay for illegals. We have already given them 12 years of education and that was not enough!!!!

Greed
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Dream Act

What about children of Legal citizens who do save to put their children and grandchildren through college and by the time they get to college, they haven't saved enough as tuition, books, dorms and etc. raise higher than ever? So, they work to make up the difference, try for grants and end up with loans so high that they are being paid off for twenty years? Now, you want to put in this Dream Act that give ILLEGALS a break?? I don't think so........let them work two and three jobs like our children or just forget it! Better yet, go home and let their governments give them a free ride.

Read my lips. "NO DREAM ACT."

I know how the families can stay together....deport the family as a whole back to the country that they legally belong to!!!! Sounds like a good ideal to me.

Do you know that some American families put their children through private schools because of the poor educations that are coming out of public school due to the illegals taking up so much damn time from the teachers and resources. The money they spent on early education was suppose to be used to help put their children through college.

I have recently gone back to college and the classes seem dumbed down. When I was in college before it was much harder. Is the problems trickling into the colleges? Are they having to dumb down due to poorly educated young students?

I am totally against the Dream Act!!! Don't come to America illegally and walk around with your hands out wanting everything handed to you on a silver platter!!!

Take your fight back to your own country and change things there! I hope there are long lines waiting to be come legal!! We are not a door mat to the world. We can not afford to accept all the people who want to come to this great country. If we do we will become a mirror image of the countries they are fleeing from!!!!!

Better read 2611 carefully. Did it include the DREAM act?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Newmexican
    Better read 2611 carefully. Did it include the DREAM act?
    YES

I thought they snuck that piece of crap it.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn