Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ALIPAC: Chicago Tribune: Battle lines drawn in Waukegan

Activists: No sign, no cash
    Battle lines drawn in Waukegan over immigration power

By Andrew L. Wang
    Tribune staff reporter
    Published July 12, 2007

The war of words over a program that would empower Waukegan police to enforce federal immigration laws is becoming a war of wallets.

In recent days, Latino activists who are opposed to the city's intent to apply for the program have been going to groceries, salons, shoe shops and restaurants, passing out orange signs that signal the store owners' opposition to it.

"If people don't see [the sign], we're urging them to boycott that business," said Lilia Paredes, vice president of the Chicago chapter of the Labor Council for Latin American Advancement.

Not to be outdone, supporters of the program now are encouraging the like-minded to make a point of shopping in Waukegan, specifically at businesses that don't display the orange fliers.

"They're putting a target on their own businesses. Basically, people who are concerned about enforcing the law are seeing those signs and aren't going to shop there," said Fred Flannigan, a local radio personality on WKRS-AM 1220 who is among those planning "Shop in Waukegan Day" on Sunday.

The saber rattling has set the stage for a showdown at Monday's City Council meeting, where activists plan to turn out in force. At the meeting, aldermen are scheduled to revote on authorizing Police Chief William Biang to apply to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to participate in the program. The Police Department has not yet submitted an application, pending that vote, said Deputy Chief Dan Greathouse.

Immigration is at the forefront of national discourse, but in Waukegan it's local news. The burgeoning Latino population, which, according to 2005 U.S. census estimates, now may make up about half of the city's population of 91,000, is awakening politically—as is a backlash.

The Latino community has been in an uproar since the council voted June 18 to explore the program and prepare an application to the Department of Homeland Security.

Mayor Richard Hyde and other officials have said the program, referred to as 287(g) after a section of the federal Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act, would allow some officers to start deportation proceedings for immigrants—legal or illegal—convicted of serious crimes such as murder, rape and drug-related felonies. The goal, the mayor has said, is to rid the city of criminals, not persecute immigrants who live within the law.

But Latino activists argue that the program could lead to abuses by police against the Spanish-speaking immigrant community, which already has chafed under other measures. They say it also would make undocumented immigrants reluctant to report crimes.

Paredes said that unless the City Council backs off on applying for the program Monday, the boycott will go into effect.

On a recent morning, Paredes visited Belvidere Mall in Waukegan and asked business owners to sign a form letter to be mailed to Hyde demanding the city reverse course on 287(g), establish an independent police review board and stop "harassment" of Latino households by city building code inspectors.

The letter also called for an end to a controversial towing ordinance that requires police to impound the vehicles of drivers pulled over without a valid driver's license or proof of insurance and requires the drivers to pay $500 to get their cars back. Many say police target people based on their ethnicity.

Paredes asked the business owners to post the letters, along with the orange signs, which state in English and Spanish: "This establishment supports the community in its demand that the mayor and city council of Waukegan withdraw its application of 287(g)."

Most of the owners at the mall, which serves a largely Latino clientele, agreed, though at least one declined.

Mauricio Martinez, owner of Martinez Service Group, which provides tax, insurance and other business services, agreed to put up the orange sign. He said he acknowledges the need to get criminals out of the city but said 287(g) could lead to racial profiling.

The measure could make his customers, many of whom are undocumented or have undocumented relatives, so afraid that they won't leave their homes.

"As a business owner, that affects my clientele," Martinez said, standing outside his mall kiosk. "How am I going to run my business?"

Activists who favor tighter enforcement of immigration laws had been planning a conference to be held Saturday at the College of Lake County campus in Grayslake. When the boycott was announced, organizers tacked the shopping day onto the weekend's events.

Flannigan called 287(g) "the biggest issue in Waukegan" and said the aim of the shopping day is not so much to counteract the boycott as to show that such measures don't work.

"The unintended effect has been that they are boycotting themselves," he said of businesses that show the sign.

Flannigan said news of the dispute in Waukegan gained national prominence through the Web site of Americans for Legal Immigration. He said organizers are identifying Waukegan businesses with e-commerce sites that will allow people to shop in Waukegan from afar. He said participants will gather at City Hall at noon Sunday.

William Gheen, president of Americans for Legal Immigration, said the organization is taking interest in Waukegan because it sees Illinois as one of the next major fronts in the campaign against illegal immigration. Gheen is scheduled to speak at Saturday's conference and before the City Council on Monday.

"We're a national group, but we're helping to fan the flames of the local revolt against the open-borders lobby in Washington," he said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... &cset=true
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

If there is an online link to the local stores to purchase items from, please post and I'll warm up my credit card.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thank you, Populist. I've been trying to find some, but can't. The larger ones like Jewel and Target have no way of stating that your order would go to the Waukegan Store. The other businesses in town don't seem to have any websites. The one I know of off-hand is below. He is a nice man, who is actually closing up shop to attend the conference on Saturday. He's got our flyer in his window and if anyone is looking for flags, check out his site. Even if you aren't looking for flags...still check it out...he's got all sorts of things. Thanks to everyone!!

http://www.koscoflags.com/
    Bless my friends and family, and God Bless America!

Thanks BlessUSA. Looks like it's time for a new flag, and I'll be sure to tell him why I'm buying from him and ask him for other nearby stores to support.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The situation in Waukegan must be intense! This is the response I got from Samuel Cunningham, City Councilman.

Have you called your U.S Congressman regarding this issue? And what about funding for our schools, who’s responsible for that. Do I hear you and your group mobilizing for that issue? Healthcare, who responsible for that? Let’s put the blame on the right people? Stop forcing me to make policy for other leaders, let’s mobilize against them? What about the drug dealer and gang banger, why don’t’ you mobilize against all men and women who are killing our children? People who kill our children don’t have a COLOR they are just KILLERS! Your response!

This was my response to him:

Yes I have called my congressman, I have called and written the president, I have signed petitions and I have protested!

And yes! The issue of healthcare and school funding is part of this issue! Why should tax payers who are LEGALLY in this country pay the way for illegal's and their children! Do some research and see how many hospitals have closed because they can not deny care or collect from illegal's!

We have laws against drug dealing, murder, rape and we also have laws against being in this country illegally, the later is NOT enforced. We also have a constitution that allows states and jurisdictions therein to make and enforce laws that do not violate the constitution or existing federal law! If the federal government will not enforce their own laws it is up to the individual states and jurisdictions to do so.

I am not forcing you to do anything but to represent your constituents. To set an example and help protect the sovereignty of this nation that I fought for, my father fought for and hundreds of thousands have died for.
    I am not sure why you have responded in the manner you did. My intent was not to infuriate you but to ask you to give this issue serious thought.

Repectfully, W Williams
    "What will you do without freedom"

The one I know of off-hand is below. He is a nice man, who is actually closing up shop to attend the conference on Saturday. He's got our flyer in his window and if anyone is looking for flags, check out his site. Even if you aren't looking for flags...still check it out...he's got all sorts of things. Thanks to everyone!!

http://www.koscoflags.com/
    I AM NOWHERE NEAR THERE. I AM IN CALI. BUT IF HE SELLS STUFF ON THE WEB, I WILL ORDER FROM HIM

OK SO NOW I HAVE A NEW FLAG....AND A COOL WINDSOCK. IT IS A NICE WEB SITE THANKS!!!!!

Thanks for shopping! It is a wonderful little flag store.

We have 9 aldermen and need at least 5 yes votes Monday night for 287g to continue.

Here's my take from going to the last two council meetings and listening.

Cunningham, Balen, and Figueroa will most assuredly vote no.

Moisio, Tenpas, Larsen, and Needham will most likely vote yes again.

We need to focus on Newsome and Rivera who could make or break this.

Edith Newsome (847) 336-3941
    edithnewsome@aol.com

Rafael Rivera (847) 360-1464
    riverafriends@yahoo.com

My present flag is showing its age so it's time to buy a new one and Kosco is as good as any other!
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast