Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ALIPAC: NC: Immigration Bill Would Greatly Affect State

Immigration Bill Would Greatly Affect State

, May 18, 2007 - 10:37 PM Updated: 11:50 PM

By Sergio Quintana
    General Assignment Reporter
    WNCN-TV
    E-mail | Biography
    DURHAM, N.C. -- An immigration bill that could mean the biggest population explosion in this country's history was introduced this week.

The bi-partisan deal in the Senate would grant legal status to millions of people unlawfully in our country.

The measure also strengthens border protection and creates a temporary worker program.

If this bill makes it to the President's desk, President George Bush has already said he'll offer his signature.

Should this bill turn to law, thousands of people in the Triangle would be affected.

The United States and Mexico border is the focal point of the debate over immigration.

But North Carolina will feel the impact.

"There are some 120,000 agricultural workers in this state alone," said Baldamar Velasquez.

Velasquez has spent the last several years trying to organize legal farm workers in the state.

But he's not a fan of the new Senate proposal that would fine undocumented immigrants $5,000 before letting them stay.

"It's not a felony to cross the border without papers," Velasquez said. "To punish them even further like this is a sign of a very ungrateful nation."

"We couldn't have the food we eat. We couldn't have the quality and number of homes that we have, the children being baby sat," said Susan Denman. "There are countless jobs that we know would not be done with out these low-paid immigrants."

Susan Denman and Diane Evia-Laneva are board members of El Centro Hispano in Durham.

They congratulate lawmakers for taking a first step with this proposal, but said workers in the field and at construction sites would be hurt.

The immigration proposal is also drawing fire from across the other end of the political spectrum.

William Gheen heads up Americans for Legal Immigration in Raleigh. He says this bill would encourage another crippling wave of immigration.

"They're closing hospitals. They're segregating prisons by race in California. There are riots in high schools. We cannot handle another 15 million more illegals," Gheen said in a phone interview.

http://www.nbc17.com/midatlantic/ncn/ne ... -0014.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"It's not a felony to cross the border without papers," Velasquez said. "To punish them even further like this is a sign of a very ungrateful nation."
    That's me.... ungrateful about getting robbed! Miss Ungrateful...worried about my Countries future and sovereignty...I am so ungrateful the illegals and their slave masters should all go HOME!
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

I cannot believe other think this TOO harsh..

oh and dont worry.. I will still eat... I will still have a roof over my head... and that crap about quality.. rubbish.. home quality blows nowadays.. I would much rather have a home 15-20 years old now.. I am in a new home riddled with small quality defects..
    "Democrats Fall in Love, Republicans Fall in Line!"

Ex-El Presidente' www.jorgeboosh.com

If third world countries didn't have such large populations, they wouldn't have so many unemployed, destitute people wanting to immigrate.

Henny Penny!Henny Penny ! The Sky is Falling! What will we all do if we have no illegal Aliens...Oh my!!!!!!!!!! I bet we can figure it out all by our little ol' selves......
    Oh thats right! Senor Boosh and the boys want to make then all legal with a stroke of a pen.....sheeesh!
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother