Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ALIPAC: Push for illegal aliens to vote in NC!

We are going to have to nip this in the bud! Notice my quote at the bottom of the article.

W

http://www.herald-sun.com/orange/10-734193.html

and

http://www.newsobserver.com/114/story/439082.html

Alderman wants vote for noncitizens
    Carrboro leaders present interests and concerns to legislative delegation

Meiling Arounnarath, Staff Writer
    CARRBORO - Alderman John Herrera wants Carrboro to be the first town in North Carolina to give noncitizens the vote.
    At a meeting Friday between the Board of Aldermen and Orange County's legislative delegation, Herrera asked the delegates to bring the topic to the General Assembly.

He asked "that future U.S. citizens and legal residents on the path to citizenship participate and be able to vote in municipal elections.

"In Carrboro, we would really like to be the pilot project in this," Herrera said.

Friday's meeting was a chance for the aldermen to tell the lawmakers about the issues -- more access to health care and affordable housing, among others -- that they want them to pursue in the legislature.

The state lawmakers present -- Sen. Ellie Kinnaird and Reps. Joe Hackney and Verla Insko -- said they liked Herrera's idea but that it would be more appropriate to raise it during a long session of the legislature, not the short session now under way.

Town Attorney Mike Brough said the proposal would require amending the state constitution.

"This is a huge issue -- I mean huge -- if this is going to be a constitutional amendment," said Kinnaird, a former mayor of Carrboro. "So planting the seed in our minds is a good start."

But Herrera said he thinks they need to act now.

"We need to be faster. And the better we incorporate new citizens into our community, the better off we'll be," he said in an interview Friday. "They're paying taxes. They're sending their kids to school here.

"Right now is the time to say something, to stand up for vulnerable immigrants right now," he said. "It affects all our families and all our communities."

Carrboro's population was 12 percent Hispanic at the time of the 2000 Census.

Herrera, who is from Costa Rica, said it took him 10 years to gain citizenship, during which "I was denied the right and ability to participate in local government."

Carrboro is a good place to start, he said, because "Orange County is such an open-minded community and so many immigrants are here."

William Gheen, president of the national organization Americans for Legal Immigration, said letting noncitizens vote is treason.

"Allowing foreign nationals to influence American lawmaking policy -- that is insane," Gheen said in a phone interview. "American citizens are who [Herrera] is sworn to represent, not the citizens of other nations or foreign nationals.

"And he will find out very soon that the majority of his constituents will feel the same way," he said.

Staff writer Meiling Arounnarath can be reached at 932-2004 or meiling.arounnarath@newsobserver.com.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Great points W!

What the heck is going on? How can they even be considering this? Absurd!
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

Illegals to vote

If you notice, this was trying to be pushed through before the citizens could think about their actions, which seems to be the "norm" with government.

ALIPAC - I sent you an email earlier. This was the natural next step for them to take. I sent a letter to my Senator about it Thursday. We need some legislation at the Federal level that prohibts illegal immigrants from voting, no matter what path they are on.

If we leave it to each state, then we will have mixed policy all over. We need one law about this.

Somebody stop this earth, I want to get off.

They are trying to get these illegals to vote in the next election, yes W this is treason!! I think your message to him was very clear on that. I will email him and tell him the same thing if I can get his email address on the web. If you could provide it that would be great and we can bombard this traitor!!!
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I just sent an email through this site: http://www.immigrantvoting.org/contact.php

My letter to Mr. Herrera is as follows:

Mr. Herrera:

It is against the law for non-citizens (ie: your future citizens) to vote in this country. You have sworn to uphold the laws of this great nation and here you are pushing to let illegal aliens vote in our elections? I hope you get voted out of office for your treasonous actions. You are a traitor to the citizens of your state and our country by even suggesting that illegal aliens have the right to vote in this country. Maybe you should move to Mexico where your actions for illegals can truly be appreciated.

An Outraged American Citizen

***Here is what this organization is about:

The Immigrant Voting Project is a resource network dedicated to promoting discussion about the practice of allowing immigrants to vote in local elections --often referred to as "resident voting" --as an innovative way to promote civic participation and responsibility among incipient Americans and better educate and prepare them for eventual citizenship; to give voice to one of the last disenfranchised segments of the population; and to increase government accountability in communities with large immigrant populations.
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I read a few weeks ago that in Massachusetts they are trying to do the same thing. I'll see what I can find on this idiocy.

Immigrant Voting

This movement for Immigrant Voting is also saying they want Immigrants
    who have a Green card but are Non-Citizens should be able to Vote...after being here only six months.
    In the first place it is against the Law and they can be tried in a Court of Law if they do vote.
    Secondly...After only six months they would have no idea of what the Issues are or know the people running for office.
    So...they would be voting for Who and What they are Told to Vote For.
    Some Politicians are so desperate for Votes that they now want Non-Citizens to Vote. It is Shameful!

It is also Shameful that a lot of Americans do not exercise their right
    to Vote.

Remember if we do not Vote there are many undocumented Immigrants waiting to do it for us.
    "When injustice become law, resistance becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson

Note Herreras comment, "we need to do this fast". Yea, right.
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

Now didn't they just register like 10,000 illegals in Cali just a week back? Now that they are registered i doubt they can hunt each down to delete, but i could be wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast