Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ALIPAC: Study: Poverty more likely for kids of illegal immig

Study: Poverty more likely for kids of illegal immigrants

By Sara Olkon | Tribune reporter
    April 15, 2009
    Roxana Joachin never dreamed that her sons, Sebastian and Ricardo, would grow up without their father.

The Pilsen woman, a part-time secretary, now relies on church food baskets, public aid and help from relatives to house and clothe her boys. In 2004, her common-law husband, Roberto Lopez, was deported back to Mexico. An illegal immigrant, Lopez had been working as a carpet layer on the North Side.

Joachin and her sons, all U.S. citizens, pray for the day Lopez can return.

"I tell them, 'Papi is working out of town,' " she said as she wiped away tears.

Related links
    Many immigrants deported for nonviolent crimes
    Little pre-K access for Latinos Growing numbers of children of illegal immigrants are being born in this country, and they are nearly twice as likely to live in poverty as the children of American-born parents, says a report released Tuesday by the Pew Hispanic Center.

In 2008, 73 percent of the children of undocumented immigrants were U.S.-born, compared with 63 percent in 2003.

The study highlights a complicating factor in the Immigration debate: Illegal immigrants' children born in the United States are American citizens, yet they struggle in poverty and uncertainty along with their parents.

"By the time they get to high school they are dropping out in much greater numbers" than the children of American-born parents, said Joshua Hoyt, executive director of the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights.

Hoyt has said restrictions on illegal immigrants should be eased.

"As the Baby Boomers retire there is a need for a massive replacement of workers both to pay our Social Security and to do work that needs to be done," he said. "If we don't legalize the undocumented and put them and their children on a ladder that they climb out of poverty, the undocumented and their families will suffer today, the rest of us will suffer tomorrow."

William Gheen, president of the Americans for Legal Immigration political action committee, said he thinks illegal immigrants are causing the suffering.

"The increase in the number of babies that illegal immigrants are having illustrates what we've known for some time: They are intentionally exploiting the birthright citizen provision," Gheen said.

But Martin Andrade isn't thinking about politics when he describes his wife's forced separation from him and their three children.

A U.S. citizen living in southwest suburban Burbank, Andrade met his wife, Maria, while studying in Mexico City in 1999. After they married, Maria Andrade applied for citizenship. While they waited, she sneaked into the country illegally. They started a family and moved to South Chicago. In 2005, she received a letter from Immigration officials. The couple thought her citizenship papers had finally gone through. Instead, Maria Andrade was arrested and deported.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 5122.story
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: ALIPAC: Study: Poverty more likely for kids of illegal i

And where is it they come here from?
    P O V E R T Y!!!
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

What I find so interesting about this article is how little it had to do with what was promoted by the headline
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

April
    Lets RALLY PATRIOTS AND SHATTER DREAM AMNESTY!!!

HELP NEEDED NOW!!

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-153245.html

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    Study: Poverty more likely for kids of illegal immigrants

Let's see.....they come from parents who couldn't make it in their own country. From parents with little or no education and place no value on getting an education in their new country. Parents who have little if any job skills, no moral, work or ethical values. They bring with them their habits from their old country and refuse to change. The cycle of poverty just continues. Poverty breeds more poverty. Is this a big surprise?
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This is what confuses me. Was the journalist writing an article about poverty amongst kids of IAs, or sob pieces promoting amnesty?

Roxana Joachin never dreamed that her sons, Sebastian and Ricardo, would grow up without their father.

Here's the first BIG question!! The article states that the illegal alien father of these boys was deported in 2004......that's what, 4 1/2 years ago, give or take some?

The one little boy, Ricardo, is 3 years old. Now, I realize that math has never been my strongest subject BUT...........

Either someone is lying for effect, "Papi" is not in Mexico having stayed deported, Mama went to visit him and couldn't just bring home a sombrero as a souvenir like everyone else, or there's another set of work boots under the bed.

Soooo, which is it?

And I don't want to hear "Long distance, the next best thing to being there" either. I've got kids and talking on the phone isn't how you get 'em

The Pilsen woman, a part-time secretary, now relies on church food baskets, public aid and help from relatives to house and clothe her boys. In 2004, her common-law husband, Roberto Lopez, was deported back to Mexico. An illegal immigrant, Lopez had been working as a carpet layer on the North Side.

I still see nothing here which makes for a compelling argument that the kids of illegal aliens are twice as likely to live in poverty than other kids and we should therefore legalize them.

What was their life like BEFORE the illegal alien "common law husband" was deported? Were they self supporting then? Any bets that as a "single" parent she was collecting benefits for the oldest kid while the father's presence in the home and his income went unreported?

Then, there still remains the question about the second kid.

But Martin Andrade isn't thinking about politics when he describes his wife's forced separation from him and their three children.

A U.S. citizen living in southwest suburban Burbank, Andrade met his wife, Maria, while studying in Mexico City in 1999. After they married, Maria Andrade applied for citizenship. While they waited, she sneaked into the country illegally. They started a family and moved to South Chicago. In 2005, she received a letter from Immigration officials. The couple thought her citizenship papers had finally gone through

Instead, Maria Andrade was arrested and deported.

This is another one I can't figure out How is it that the deportation of his illegal alien wife has plunged him and his children into the depths and despair of poverty?

As a male and an American, statistically he is the primary breadwinner of the family and would have earned much more than the illegal alien wife.....if she worked at all.

The writer mentions nothing in here whatsoever which explains why this has anything to do with children of illegal aliens likely to live in poverty....it's just more of the same old, same old about our allegedly "broken" system and separation of families.