Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ALIPAC: Villagers Oppose Proposal to Let Noncitizens Vote

ALIPAC Quote in Article

Some Villagers Oppose Carrboro Proposal to Let Noncitizens Vote

First there was the movement to make Spanish our national language, or at the least, our co-language.
    Then came along a drive to have a Spanish national anthem written for our country because of the influx of legal -- and illegal -- immigrants from south of the border.

Now, a Carrboro alderman, John Herrera, wants his town to allow noncitizens to vote. He proposed that "future U.S. citizens and legal residents on the path to citizenship" be allowed to vote in municipal elections, hoping Carrboro will be the first city in the state to go down that road.

Herrera stated that it took him 10 years to gain citizenship after he came here from Costa Rica and said he "was denied the right" to participate in local government affairs.

When he brought the proposal before the town's Board of Aldermen and the Orange County legislative delegation, several stumbling blocks to the idea were brought up.

Town Attorney Mike Brough pointed out the state Constitution would have to be amended to allow for non-citizens to vote.

Former Mayor Ellie Kinnaird said the idea presents a "huge issue" for consideration.

A story in The News & Observer of Raleigh quoted William Gheen, president of Americans for Legal Immigration, as considering the issue "insane." He stressed that doing so would allow foreigners to weigh in on American policy and legislation.

Herrera did not limit his proposal to voting rights. He also suggested delegates support a proposal to provide in-state tuition for immigrant students who were moving towards citizenship.

When a group of Whispering Pines residents discussed the Herrera proposal, there was virtual unanimous agreement that the idea makes no sense.

"Letting someone who is 'on the path' to citizenship could be carried to the extreme," one villager said.

"I play golf three times a week and try to get better," another said. "You might say I am 'on the path' to the pros so why not let me play in the next PGA tour event."

Another village resident had a different observation.

"Better yet, I sing in the shower, and I think I am pretty good, though my wife insists my ear for music left the same day my ear for hearing her disappeared," he said. "Does that mean I qualify to be on the next 'American Idol' show ? After all, as far as I'm concerned, I am 'on the path' to musical stardom."

The idea failed to get any positive comments from the CCWP lunch bunch and rightly so.

My grandparents came to this country from Poland because they sought a better life than they had in Eastern Europe. They did so legally and appreciated their new country from day one.

Though they could not speak English, they forced themselves to learn enough of the language to be able to pass the test they had to take to gain citizenship. They may not have mastered the ability to carry on a detailed conversation, but they did learn to say "George Washington was our first president," and "there are two houses of Congress."

They no more expected to be given the right to vote before they became citizens than they expected to sing Yankee Doodle in the bathtub.

The same holds true today. Legal aliens who have not obtained their citizenship have not earned the right to vote. Nor can illegal aliens expect to have that element of democracy handed to them simply because they are here.

Those here legally can work their way to citizenship, and most do so with pride. But those living in this country illegally can't expect to have that same opportunity.

Sneaking across a border or climbing over a fence was not the way immigrants in the 1800s and 1900s got here. They paid their passage, came across the ocean in steerage and ultimately punched their ticket to become citizens.

Illegals don't even have a ticket to punch!

Don Winslow can be reached at donwin@charter.net.

http://www.thepilot.com/stories/2006070 ... nslow.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Herrera stated that it took him 10 years to gain citizenship after he came here from Costa Rica and said he "was denied the right" to participate in local government affairs.
    What arrogant drivel. Someone needs to give this putz a clue.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Iig

Thank you, I feel so much better now

Every time I hear about some fool actually suggesting in audible terms that non-citizens be allowed to vote, I burst out laughing. It's the only correct response. I thank God for making me smart enough to at least never say stuff that goofy.
    "I have not yet begun to fight!" John Paul Jones

This is not to lough it's to cry, how could we let these people come to a point in which they want to dictate the laws in this country? They should be humble here, and be greatful to the people of this country that allow and give them the honor to become American Citizens.

I don't understand how anybody thinks a noncitizen should vote. I don't care if you are on your way to becoming legal. I don't care if you are the hardest working nicest person in the world. No vote for noncitizens!
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

To let people in this country illegally and who are not citizens vote in this country is ludicrous. This guy and others like him are out of their mind, they want to vote, go back to your own country and vote.
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

lsmith1338,

This guy and others like him are out of their mind, they want to vote, go back to your own country and vote.
    Amen. There is someting very ugly about arrogant people. Who the heck does he think he is?
    Work together for the benefit of all mankind

Now, a Carrboro alderman, John Herrera, wants his town to allow noncitizens to vote. He proposed that "future U.S. citizens and legal residents on the path to citizenship" be allowed to vote in municipal elections, hoping Carrboro will be the first city in the state to go down that road.

This is the arrogance, the disconnect, the NOT GETTING WHAT AMERICANS ARE, that fightens me. They (those who believe this way) want to destroy AMERICA. Obey the laws.
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

"future U.S. citizens and legal residents on the path to citizenship"
    When they become PRESENT U.S. citizens and legal residents, then have your people call my people. We'll do lunch.

When I'm asked for a quote on something like this, usually the first thing that runs through my mind is not the best thing to say.

In this case, it was something like "This _______ guy is a ______ ______."

Now that would not be nice or proper so I paused and said. "That's insane" which is much more polite than the first thought that came into my mind when told about this.

After all, I have met him before and he has indicated on the surface he is willing to be more civilized than when we first met him.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast