Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Allard introduce identity theft bill

http://northdenvernews.com/content/view/617/2/

Allard introduce identity theft bill
    Written by Staff
    Wednesday, 24 January 2007
    Identity theft and it's connection to illegal immigration continues to make news:

Washington, D.C. - U.S. Sen. Wayne Allard (R-Colo.) proposed a legislative fix to help curb identity theft on Wednesday following a meeting on Monday with U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Michael Chertoff. Allard called a meeting with Chertoff and a bipartisan group of Senators for a briefing regarding the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) raids on Swift & Co. facilities in six states on December 13, 2006, which exposed a widespread ring of identity theft.

"Identity theft is plaguing innocent victims all across the country. My amendment tears down the wall that prevents the sharing of existing information among government agencies that could help lead to the discovery of identity theft before the damage to the innocent victim is already done," said Allard. "My amendment directly addresses an issue brought to my attention by Secretary Chertoff in Monday's meeting. He explained that, under current law, government agencies are prevented from sharing information with other government agencies that could lead to the discovery of identify theft."

As a result of this meeting, Allard introduced an amendment to the minimum wage legislation currently before the U.S. Senate that would allow information sharing between the Social Security Administration and the Department of Homeland Security related to the fraudulent use of names and social security numbers in connection with employment.

The bill requires the Commissioner of Social Security to provide the Secretary of Homeland Security with information in cases where a social security number is used with multiple names or in cases where there is more than one person reporting earnings for a particular name and social security number.

"I was concerned to learn that Social Security and DHS were not sharing information, and my amendment provides a legislative fix to this problem," Allard said. "We will continue to pursue this idea to share information between government agencies throughout the session until a resolution is passed into law."

The Swift & Co. facilities were located in Colorado, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Texas and Utah. U.S. Senators Charles Grassley and Tom Harkin of Iowa, Norm Coleman of Minnesota and John Cornyn of Texas attended the briefing along with Allard.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

April
    "I was concerned to learn that Social Security and DHS were not sharing information, and my amendment provides a legislative fix to this problem," Allard said. "We will continue to pursue this idea to share information between government agencies throughout the session until a resolution is passed into law."
    Way to GO!!!!