Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

America needs illegal workers

www.dailytexanonline.com

The Daily Texan - Opinion
    Issue: 8/9/05

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

America needs illegal workers
    By Mark Son

Have you ever seen the movie, "A Day Without A Mexican"? This comic satire depicts a hypothetical situation in which all the Hispanics in California disappear in a mysterious fog.

The streets are filled with garbage, a black market springs up for overpriced fruits and vegetables, schools shut down missing nearly half of their students and a fifth of their teachers and entrepreneurs in many business sectors try to get by without Latino workers.

America currently has a love and hate relationship with illegal immigrants and something must be done to sweeten this bittersweet relationship.

According to a March 2002 survey by the U.S. Census Bureau, Hispanics comprised 13.3 percent of the total population with approximately 34.7 million people in the country. About a third of this population, or more than 10 million, were illegal immigrants, Pew Research Center reported in 2004.

Mexicans made up nearly 67 percent of the Hispanic population and 57 percent of the illegal immigrant population. About 1.5 million Hispanic illegal immigrants reside in Texas, the Pew Research Center survey said. This number is more than the number of people residing in Austin and its surrounding areas.

To stop the inflow of illegal immigrants, the Minuteman Project, a self-acclaimed civilian vigilante group, took matters into their own hands and recently began training in Arizona in expectation of patrolling the U.S.-Mexico borders in Texas and California. The media has reported politicians are calling for stricter border patrol out of fear that the nation's southern border could be another route for al-Qaida members to get into the United States.

Amid all these problems, the reason why a substantial political force has not yet been created to really try to stop the influx of illegal immigration is probably the underlying fear vividly depicted in "A Day Without A Mexican." After all, there is little doubt or a lack of study to show that Hispanic illegal immigrants help to keep the American economy competitive and rolling.

Dan Griswold, director of the Center for Trade Policy Studies at the Cato Institute, a research group located in Washington that advocates free market policies, said illegal immigrants take jobs few native-born Americans are willing to take.

"Lower-skilled immigrants who come into the United States are typically taking jobs that most Americans are not interested in: picking lettuce in the hot sun, scrubbing floors or toilets in a discount store in the middle of the night, gardening, construction - that sort of work," said Griswold in a Voice of America article in May.

President George W. Bush's solution to the problem had been to grant illegal immigrants legal status to work in the United States. His solutions ranged from a proposal to give legal status to fewer than one million agricultural workers to a bill that could legalize most of the illegal immigrants currently living in the United States. However, none of the proposed bills passed even one chamber last year.

According to Monday's San Antonio Express-News, Bush will again face an uphill battle in his push to move immigration reform and a guest-worker provision through Congress when lawmakers return this fall.

The president and GOP proponents are likely to be forced to shift their focus to less controversial measures such as border enforcement because of a heavy opposition from House Republicans who call the president's provisions an amnesty effort.

Furthermore, the article reported that Bush has not yet laid out the specifics of his plan, even though he has pushed for the guest-worker program since 2001.

I believe that Bush is on the right track about the growing illegal immigration problem. The guest-worker program seeks to eliminate the problem at its origin.

Illegal immigrants could be dangerous because their undocumented entrance into the country makes it difficult for government officials to stop possible criminals or terrorists. A guest-worker program would most likely reduce the number of illegal immigrants to a manageable number.

This also means that before implementing a guest-worker program in the United States, an extensive background search of illegal immigrants currently residing in the country must be done. A guest-worker program without this step would be futile because otherwise we have no way of knowing who in the country is dangerous and who is not. Deportation of a hard worker who could benefit from a guest-worker program would be a loss both for the immigrant and the nation's economy.

Bush needs to remember his vows to make immigration reform one of his priorities for the second term. As the lawmakers return to Capitol Hill this fall, Bush needs to have a comprehensive workable immigration reform plan. Leaving the nation's southern border wide open while we pour billions of dollars into a fight halfway around the globe would be ridiculous.

In "A Day Without A Mexican," a woman, who is thought to be the last Latino in California, asks a politician, who built his career by pushing an anti-immigrant agenda, if he has a message for the Latinos who have disappeared.

"Tell them California needs them," says the politician.

"Okay," says the woman. "But it would have been nice for them to have heard that before."

More appropriately, tell them America needs them - with legal status.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I think that there should be a movie called "Una Dia que no hay Los Gringos" (A Day without White People).

It would be great. They would go to the hospital for an "emergency room visit" and there would be no doctors or nurses to treat them. They would quit their jobs after working the necessary 11 weeks to collect the "free" unemployment, go down to the office to collect their checks that they are "entitled" to, and nobody would be there. There wouldn't be enough taxpayers anyway! They would go to the welfare office to collect (on account of their anchor babies) and there would be no cash, no cops to save them from getting raped/murdered, no suck-ass ACLU attorneys to deify them and bail them out in court, etc. etc. etc.

To say that these people are necessary is crap. I would gladly pay more for lettuce if I knew the hands that picked it didn't carry Trypanosome (look it up - nasty stuff). I would gladly water my own plants and do my own landscaping, as well as the little old lady's landscaping next door. Plus, they all work construction now and underbid legal U.S. citizens, driving them out of business.

It's time to stop romanticizing about these people. They are criminals from the minute they step over that line.

Dan Griswold, director of the Center for Trade Policy Studies at the Cato Institute, a research group located in Washington that advocates free market policies, said illegal immigrants take jobs few native-born Americans are willing to take.
    What bull bologna. Try paying American wages instead of Third World wages.

In "A Day Without A Mexican," a woman, who is thought to be the last Latino in California, asks a politician, who built his career by pushing an anti-immigrant agenda, if he has a message for the Latinos who have disappeared.
    It is not an anti-immigrant agenda. It is an anti-ILLEGAL immigrant agenda.
    I have a message. Stay disappeared (unless you are LEGAL).
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

Just More Propaganda from the Illegal Underworld that profits from this mess.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Let's see, how did that old joke go?

I've got.

America needs illegal workers like a fish needs a bicycle.

Yup, that's it.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

I have seen that movie, I laughed at all of the pro illegal propaganda it was spouting. I had posted information about this awhile ago when I mentioned a company called "No Borders" or "Sin Fronteras" found at www.no-borders.com Go there and see what they do. I found them because one of their advertisements/flyer was inside the DVD jacket.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)