October 2, 2008
Jake Jacobsen

As the current financial debacle plays out, becoming more and more of a farce, it is being debated every which way from Tuesday, and every pundit on the planet has their favorite bogeyperson (must be PC don't ya know!) to blame it on. Whether it is Democrats, Republicans, Wall Street greed, or name-yer-poison, everyone has a different defendant in the box.

I want to take a little different tack. In a June 18th, 2002 speech, where President Bush was seeking ways to buy the Hispanic vote by lowering the traditional mortgage standards to the point where the average domicile-challenged individual living under a highway overpass would qualify, he said...

"People take a look at the down payment, they say that's too high, I'm not buying. They may have the desire to buy, but they don't have the wherewithal to handle the down payment. We can deal with that. And so I've asked Congress to fully fund an American Dream down payment fund which will help a low-income family to qualify to buy, to buy." (Applause.)

Here's the thing about The American Dream.

No one can give it to you, especially the government. The real American Dream is something that can only be earned through hard work and effort. Whether that effort be going to a blue collar job every day and punching the clock, or sticking out college to get a good paying job on the other side, that doesn't matter. What matters is that no one can just hand you The American Dream.

That's something entirely different -- it even has a name: welfare.

Just to make this even more stomach-churning, it's clear to anyone paying attention that one of the objects of this exercise was to make The American Dream available to illegal aliens. That begs the question: Is it possible for a person who entered this country illegally to partake of The American Dream?

The answer, of course, is no. An illegal alien can only steal The American Dream...and, in doing so, make it that little bit less likely that an actual, honest-to-goodness American will be able to achieve it.

Meet the Aviles. Soledad and his family live in LA, and between five family members earn $60,000 a year. Soledad himself is a glass cutter with a sixth grade education who earned $9 an hour and speaks only Spanish..

Now meet the typical American family: He is a military vet, they both have a little college under their belts, they have a combined income of about $80,000 a year, credit scores over 600, and a down payment of $6,000.

So, Don Pardo, who is the big winner in The American Dream sweepstakes?

Well, the Aviles took home a $615,000 loan which they are currently defaulting due to Soledad getting swindled by his friendly neighborhood Hispanic realtor, who signed him up for a $3,600 a month payment that ballooned to a $4,800 a month payment which the Aviles family had as much chance of paying as Michael Moore's pizza tab. Of course if Soledad had more than a sixth grade education he might have realized that signing documents you cannot read is never a good idea.

While on the other side of the country our average American family was rejected nine times as being untrustworthy! Nine times! They ended up living on owner-financed land in a trailer purchased with a subprime mortgage.

Is this really what The American Dream has come to? Swindling uneducated illegal aliens and bumping actual, you know, Americans out of the line?

Here is the truth as I understand it: no one can hand you The American Dream -- it's up to you to earn it. And when people come to this country expecting our government to hand them The American Dream, I scratch my head in wonder. These are the folks who are supposed to save this country? These are the moral exemplars George W Bush prattles on and on about?

If so, The American Dream is already dead, and -- say it with me, folks...
¡Viva Alto Mexico!

Jake Jacobsen writes for the http://freedomfolks.com/blog/">Freedom Folks blog who are "Fighting Illegal Immigration One Post At A Time." And is the producer for the weekly Youtube show http://blogs4borders.blogspot.com/">Blogs .

http://www.rightsidenews.com/2008100221 ... dream.html