Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

America's immigration crisis

http://www.ocolly.com/new_ocollycom/new ... a_id=27247

America's immigration crisis

Robert Allen
    opinion columnist

Each day, more than a thousand Mexican citizens flee their indigent nation to seek fortune in the land of the free.

Their presence is illegal and not appreciated by most of America’s population.

Evidently, current attempts at blocking the source of entry are failing. It seems that miles of bent up wire interrupted by a blockade every Timezone or two does not seem to be getting the message across: We don’t want you!

Is that really true, though?

I have several friends in my hometown in Texas who didn’t bother going to college. They have, however, managed to find indoor jobs that keep them above the poverty line.

I’m always happy to hear that they are not in the fields picking strawberries or worse. That wouldn’t be respectable for a twenty-something with a public high school degree from the wealthiest country on Earth.

It’s a good thing that Mexico doesn’t have comparable curriculum. Otherwise, those immigrants might be taking their jobs for a fraction of the salary.

The labor that a slew of illegal migrant Mexican farm workers do is painstaking and dangerous. They work harder than I could ever see myself working and are paid in pocket change.

Aged 15 to 40, these illegal aliens perform our slave labor twelve hours a day to give us what we need and take the jobs we don’t want.

I’m afraid that if we decide to build the Great Wall of America or set up electrified Jurassic Park fences, it could damage the economy.

I can think of two great solutions to the conflict along that extensive border with our neighbor. First, we could offer to buy the country.

There are undoubtedly many American businesses that would be delighted to expand their way into a new domestic market. The abundance natural resources and coastline attractions is alluring. This investment would make America bigger and stronger.

If they don’t take our offer, the next option would be to stage a brief and well-planned military invasion where we take over Mexico overnight.

I doubt it would be anything near as difficult as Afghanistan or Iraq. The benefits would be clearer, too.

However, if we become one with Mexico then it could grow difficult to exploit labor. Maybe the people would expect to make above minimum wage and benefit from social security.

It could open up a whole new can of worms that we don’t want to deal with. Maybe we should just stop worrying about the whole topic and be satisfied with our current border security.

Allow them to maneuver through our obstacle course to get in so that not everybody makes it.

The cunning ones can continue working the jobs we don’t want and the rest of us will prosper.

Robert Allen is an opinion columnist at The Daily O’Collegian. He can be reached via e-mail at robert.c.allen@okstate.edu
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones