RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA IS A "RULE OF LAW" CITY!!!

CLICK ON THIS LINK FOR STORY
http://www.ocregister.com/news/law-2528 ... izona.html

It was an UNANIMOUS vote (5-0) last night in the City of Rancho Santa Margarita to declare the city a "Rule of Law" city AND to make a resolution in SUPPORT of AZ's 1070.

The also gave instructions to the city manager to begin implementing E-Verify for all their contractors.

Although there was short notice that this was an agenda item (24 hours), there was 5 people in attendance in support of this effort and one resident opposed. BUT, Mayor Jerry Holloway is asking for residents to come to the next meeting when they sign the final resolution in order for their opinions to be heard (I don't know why, because the vote was caste last night and the decision has been made).

(PLEASE CLICK ON LINK TO ADD YOUR COMMENTS TO THE STORY)

http://www.ocregister.com/news/law-2528 ... izona.html

Rancho council supports Arizona immigration law
By KRISTY CHU
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

The Rancho Santa Margarita City Council has unanimously agreed to support Arizona's controversial immigration-reform law.
City staffers were directed to draft a resolution stating that support and including a section about implementing the federal E-Verify program, an Internet-based system that allows employers to check on an employee's eligibility to work in the United States.
The resolution also would reaffirm the city's dedication to enforcing immigration laws and declare that Rancho is not a "sanctuary city."
There was debate at the meeting over whether to include a declaration in the resolution stating Rancho is a "rule of law" city.
"I don't know the benefit of saying to our residents that we're a 'rule of law' city," Mayor Jerry Holloway said in the Wednesday night meeting. "I think it might be overkill."
The city is encouraging residents to voice their opinions on the resolution at the council's June 23 meeting. Residents also can submit comments at cityofrsm.org through the monthly "Let Your Voice Be Heard" survey, starting at the end of the day Thursday.
Mayor Pro Tem Tony Beall wasn't at the meeting, but left a letter stating his support of the Arizona immigration law. The resolution is set to be presented at the July 14 council meeting when all five members are expected to be present.
Arizona's new immigration law allows local and state police to check a person's immigration status "where reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States," according to the text of the law, SB 1070. The law was signed by Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer in April and is expected to go into effect July 29, barring legal challenges.
A group called "I M A Z (I'm Arizona)" has filed paperwork allowing it to begin collecting signatures to get a referendum on SB 1070 on the November ballot, according to Matthew Benson, spokesman for Arizona's Secretary of State office.
Benson said the group would need to file 76,682 valid signatures by July 28. The law would then be stayed, and it would be left to voters to decide whether SB 1070 goes into effect.
Supporters of the law say it's necessary because the federal government is not enforcing federal law and illegal immigration is out of control. Opponents firmly believe the law is racist and divisive and will lead to racial profiling.
Orange County cities are divided on the issue. Costa Mesa, Yorba Linda and Orange have declared support for the Arizona law, while the Santa Ana has opposed it. Other cities such as Laguna Beach and Laguna Woods have not taken a position on the law either way.
(Read a comprehensive story on Orange County cities' reactions to this issue.)
Wednesday's meeting was the first time the item has come before Rancho's council for discussion. Councilman Gary Thompson requested it be put on the agenda.
"We do have a stake in making clear our position as to what we believe our government should be responsible for," Thompson said. "There are several cities weighing in – on both sides of the ticket – and I think we owe it to our residents to basically say how we feel."
Contact the writer: 949-454-7343 or kchu@ocregister.com