Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

(AP) Judge Denies Request to Free Jena Teen

Judge Denies Request to Free Jena Teen
    Friday, September 21, 2007 7:12 PM EDT
    The Associated Press

http://broadband.zoomtown.com/news/read ... CCLM_UNEWS

JENA, La. (AP) — A judge on Friday denied a request to release a teenager whose arrest in the beating of a white classmate sparked this week's civil rights protest in Louisiana. Mychal Bell's request to be freed while an appeal is being reviewed was rejected at a juvenile court hearing, effectively denying him any chance at immediate bail, a person familiar with the case told The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because juvenile court proceedings are closed.

Earlier, Bell's mother emerged from the hearing in tears, refusing to comment.

Bell, 17, was convicted of aggravated second-degree battery, which could have led to 15 years in prison. But his conviction was thrown out by a state appeals court that said he could not be tried on the charge as an adult because he was 16 at the time of the beating.

"This is why we did not cancel the march," said the Rev. Al Sharpton, an organizer of Thursday's rally along with the Rev. Jesse Jackson and the NAACP. "When they overturned Mychal's conviction, everyone said we won."

Jackson said in an interview Friday that federal intervention is needed to protect Bell's rights. Sharpton said he has scheduled meetings in Washington with congressional leaders to discuss the Jena Six case.

At a separate closed hearing Friday, a judge refused a request from defense attorneys to remove Judge J.P. Mauffray Jr. from Bell's case, said John Jenkins, father of one of Bell's co-defendants.

Defense lawyers have complained that Mauffray set a high bail for Bell — $90,000 — prior to his conviction in the Barker beating. Mauffray had cited Bell's criminal record, which included juvenile arrests for battery and damage to property, in setting the bail.

On Thursday, the case drew thousands of protesters to this tiny central Louisiana town to rally against what they see as a double standard of justice for blacks and whites. The march was one of the biggest civil rights demonstrations in years.

The case dates to August 2006, when a black Jena High School student asked the principal whether blacks could sit under a shade tree that was a frequent gathering place for whites. He was told yes. But nooses appeared in the tree the next day.

Three white students were suspended but not criminally prosecuted. LaSalle Parish District Attorney Reed Walters has said he could find no state law covering the act.

The incident was followed by fights between blacks and whites that culminated in the attack on Justin Barker, who was knocked unconscious on school grounds. According to court testimony, his face was swollen and bloodied, but he was able to attend a school function that night.

Five of the teens were originally charged with attempted second-degree murder — charges that have since been reduced for four of them. The sixth was booked as a juvenile on sealed charges.

I don't understand why Jesse Jackson wants equal treatment when one kid puts a rope on a tree (stupid and offensive) and the other beats the kid up (assault crime).

What if a mexican kid puts a mexican flag on a tree? Can a I beat him up and expect equal treatment?

Lawenforcer you are totally correct.

One does not compare with another. This is like comparing apples to oranges. Even though some were offended by the act of putting nooses around the tree they did not physically inflict bodily harm to another! However the other offense was a direct attack that could have resulted in Murder! In my opinion the punishment fits the crime!

Three white students were suspended but not criminally prosecuted. LaSalle Parish District Attorney Reed Walters has said he could find no state law covering the act.
    How about intent? Maybe not, but definately hate releated.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I believe now more than ever in the history of this country, ALL "Patriotic Americans" need to unify.....black, white, brown, yellow, purple or polka dot. A HOUSE DIVIDED CANNOT STAND!

Unfortunately, racial tension will always exist in this country between black and white. It has been that way from the beginning, and it will continue until the end. That's reality. Fortunately, there has been significant improvement in race relations, and deep-seated hatred is the exception, not the rule.

Although the Jena 6 issue is important, we have bigger fish to fry. Our country has been invaded, and it will require efforts from ALL OF US to defeat amnesty and the myriad problems our country now faces due to illegal aliens. If we don't control this invasion, we won't have to worry about the Jena 6 or anything else, because we won't have a country.

It is truly sad that some people would prefer to ignore this invasion and allow our country to be stolen, rather than to have blacks and whites live in harmony. We cannot allow ourselves to be distracted.

There will always be racial hatred in this country. That will NEVER change. Let's try to recognize who and what our "real" enemies are. Let's remain focused on our fight to save our country, and accept the fact that the hearts of some will never be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by fedupDeb
    I believe now more than ever in the history of this country, ALL "Patriotic Americans" need to unify.....black, white, brown, yellow, purple or polka dot. A HOUSE DIVIDED CANNOT STAND!

Unfortunately, racial tension will always exist in this country between black and white. It has been that way from the beginning, and it will continue until the end. That's reality. Fortunately, there has been significant improvement in race relations, and deep-seated hatred is the exception, not the rule.

Although the Jena 6 issue is important, we have bigger fish to fry. Our country has been invaded, and it will require efforts from ALL OF US to defeat amnesty and the myriad problems our country now faces due to illegal aliens. If we don't control this invasion, we won't have to worry about the Jena 6 or anything else, because we won't have a country.

It is truly sad that some people would prefer to ignore this invasion and allow our country to be stolen, rather than to have blacks and whites live in harmony. We cannot allow ourselves to be distracted.

There will always be racial hatred in this country. That will NEVER change. Let's try to recognize who and what our "real" enemies are. Let's remain focused on our fight to save our country, and accept the fact that the hearts of some will never be changed.
    I agree. So true-about A HOUSE DIVIDED CANNOT STAND.

Yes-racial tension will always exist. I personally believe we have come far not only in race relations, but in looking beyond race and treating each other as Americans. Is America perfect? No. But despite any of it's possible flaws, it is still the best country on the face of the earth. I would think rational people of all races would agree.

There will always be a segment of our population who hate someone because of their race- and this pertains to all races. No amount of education, regulation or punishment will change their views. I believe in my heart that racism and hatred of others in this country is the exception not the rule.

A fedupDeb said, our country has been invaded. We need to stand together and fight. No other issues will matter if our country is gone.

The MSM pounds and pounds stories for days and days-whether they are legitimate or not. Between Jena 6, Brittney, O.J and now the terrorist from Iran coming to the U.S., these are things that can divide and distract us and make us lose our focus. I am not saying they should not be covered at all but just think about it. If the MSM covered how this illegal invasion has ruined American's lives just a fraction of the time that these other stories have been covered, imagine how many more Americans would be informed, wake up and join our cause.

I do find it a little curious that the vote may be held today or tomorrow, when the hateful terrorist will be here spewing his hate. Is this a coincidence? Or am I just really paranoid? We really need to hit talk radio hard today, as I know they will be more focused on him.

Let us stand together as Americans and win this fight and save our country-I know we can!

Nicole

every crime is a hate crime! All the label hate crime does is promote racism because people will pick sides. If i beat up someone of another race I should get the same amount of time if I beat up a person the same color of me. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander, in this case its all bad.