Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Appeals court rules San Francisco not responsible for deaths

Appeals court rules SF not respondible for deaths

Jill Tucker, Chronicle Staff Writer

San Francisco Chronicle January 31, 2011 08:13 PM

Monday, January 31, 2011
    Comments (47)

(01-31) 20:13 PST SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco cannot be held responsible for the deaths of a father and two sons allegedly gunned down in 2008 by a man city officials refused to report to immigration authorities, the state Court of Appeals decided Monday.

The ruling upholds a February 2010 Superior Court decision.

Tony Bologna, 48, and his two sons, Michael, 20, and Matthew, 16, were shot to death in a car near their Excelsior district home in June 2008. A third son in the car was not injured.

Relatives sued the city, claiming San Francisco's sanctuary policy protecting illegal immigrants kept the alleged gunman, Edwin Ramos, in the country and played a major role in the slayings.

Yet both the lower court and the appellate court agreed that the city isn't legally to blame for any crimes Ramos committed following his earlier arrests as a juvenile for assault and attempted purse-snatching.

The family of the victims argued that the city violated federal law in not reporting Ramos, who was 21 at the time of the killings, to immigration officials and therefore failed to prevent the crime. Laws protecting cities from such liability prevailed in the case.

"We've always known that the law was stacked in the city's favor," said plaintiff's attorney Matthew Davis. "Certainly the family is going to be disappointed."

Davis said he would review the ruling before deciding whether to appeal to the state Supreme Court.

The case was a flash point in the debate over the city's policy to protect illegal immigrants.

Former Mayor Gavin Newsom restricted the use of the sanctuary policy in July 2008, requiring city employees to report suspected illegal immigrant youths to federal authorities in the case of felony arrests.

www.sfgate.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This is so corrupt. The City of SF does not want to pay the millions that they would have to pay...and should pay to the Bologna family for their loss. And the court is in collusion with the City of SF on this. Of course the City is responsible for the deaths. They let a dangerous felon roam the streets when they could have deported him. You don't have to be a 90 bulb to figure out that he is going to hurt someone eventually.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I hope the family keeps appealing until they get to the top. Make SF pay and set a standard that if an illegal does damage to a citizen after they have been found commiting another crime that the city will be held accountable due to its bad policies.

Former Mayor Gavin Newsom
    since this &%#@ is now a private citizen, go after him! I am sickened by this "Judge's" ruling.

Quote Originally Posted by nomas
    since this &%#@ is now a private citizen, go after him! I am sickened by this "Judge's" ruling.
    Gavin(have you hugged an illegal today) Newsome is now the LT. Governor
    You cannot dedicate yourself to America unless you become in every
    respect and with every purpose of your will thoroughly Americans. You
    cannot become thoroughly Americans if you think of yourselves in groups. President Woodrow Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by TakingBackSoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by nomas
    Gavin(have you hugged an illegal today) Newsome is now the LT. Governor
    Sorry, my bad... but I love your name for him...LOL! This whole affair still leaves a bad taste in my mouth though, it's just plain wrong!

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by TakingBackSoCal
    Gavin(have you hugged an illegal today)
    "In the 90's it was tree huggers!" I'm with nomas I like the new analogy better!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn