Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Area church set to host immigration workshop

http://www.longmontfyi.com/Local-Story.asp?id=6431

Area church set to host immigration workshop

Publish Date: 2/28/2006
    By Melanie M. Sidwell
    The Daily Times-Call

LONGMONT — Churches across the country are finding themselves between the law of God and the law of the land when it comes to illegal immigration.

In an effort to lay out the local opinions, fears and problems, Central Presbyterian Church is holding a free one-day workshop titled “Immigration and the Church’s Response: Get the Real Story” on Saturday.

The workshop will feature speakers Mark Adams and José Angel Valencia of Frontera de Cristo, one of seven groups that make up the Presbyterian Bi-national Border Ministry, a partnership of the National Presbyterian Church of Mexico and the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

The two men are mission co-workers serving with Frontera de Cristo in Agua Prieta, Mexico, which shares a border with Douglas, Ariz.

Adams said the workshop was created about four years ago when a New Mexico church approached the ministry for help because it was grappling with illegal immigration from a faith-based perspective.

Since then, Adams said, he has conducted the workshop in other U.S. cities, such as Atlanta and Santa Fe, as well as Mexican communities, all of which are struggling with immigration.

“Churches are part of communities, and what many communities face is fear,” Adams said in a phone interview last week.

He said any time there is a migration — citing the waves of Polish, Italian and Irish immigrants during the 1800s — U.S. communities grow afraid because demographics, economics, culture, schools and medical agencies change.

“We as a church community are called to respond out of faith and not fear,” Adams said. “And in our community, that is a hard thing to do.”

Faith communities across the country are starting to press their concerns publicly about border issues, possible immigration reform and humanitarian aid.

“I think (churches) are going to have to,” said Chris Edwards, a church elder at Central Presbyterian. “The issue is not going away, and I think it’s going to be a front issue in coming elections.

“Just because people don’t like illegal immigrants doesn’t mean they don’t exist. They are still a part of our community, and they’re still here.”

Central Presbyterian invited the two speakers here to hold the workshop, which will explore the immigration histories of people who attend the workshop, the biblical stories of migration, true-life case studies and actions that church communities may want to take.

Adams said the workshop is about the faithful discussing their opinions on the topic.

“This is not about us coming and giving solutions,” he said. “It works best when people who have varying perspectives are coming together with real issues and coming up with responses together.”

The Longmont church has worked with Adams through an annual mission trip to Agua Prieta, Edwards said.

Edwards, who has been on the past three trips, said he finds himself searching for the proper response, as a U.S. citizen and a Christian, to the controversy.

“I’ve heard both sides,” he said.

“I’ve heard all the arguments against illegal immigration, and they’re valid points. But I don’t know where to find that balance. I’m struggling to find it myself.”

He said the workshop is a good opportunity for church leaders to educate themselves and decide whether they want to take action.

“Churches are going to have to come to some understanding on how they want to stand on this issue,” Edwards said.

Melanie M. Sidwell can be reached at 303-684-5274, or by e-mail at msidwell@times-call.com.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Churches across the country are finding themselves between the law of God and the law of the land when it comes to illegal immigration.
    Jesus said that Christians should pay their taxes and follow the law. It's sad when even the Church, doesn't know the Word.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Quote Originally Posted by WavTek
    Churches across the country are finding themselves between the law of God and the law of the land when it comes to illegal immigration.
    Jesus said that Christians should pay their taxes and follow the law. It's sad when even the Church, doesn't know the Word.
    That's because these church leaders have become corrupt. They don't know right from wrong anymore. They don't follow the bible anymore. They twist the bible around to suit their own twisted agenda. They are more concerned about getting members so they can beef up their tithing coffers. Why do you think they allow gays to hold the priesthood and allow gay marriages for example? These churches have become an abomination and that's why more and more I despise organized religion. These churches have perverted God's word and have become nothing more than a bunch of over glorified PAC's for politicans and the like. The members of these churches need to wake up and stop paying their tithing. In fact I'd even go as far as to say stop attending that church and when these clowns ask why, you tell them that you are not going to give them another dime and you will never attend another session again until these corrupt leaders stop breaking the law or until those leaders are ousted from the pulpit. When people start leaving in droves over this, they will stop promoting this garbage. You people are the only ones who can stop this. You let your church leaders who are involved with this lawbreaking know that they are not above the laws of the land and they aren't above you the people. You tell them, this is God's church, not your own church. It's God's will be done, not the priests will be done.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn